D.O. School List help and Question about Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureHealer9

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there everyone,

So I am going into my senior year and in the process of applying to D.O. Schools.

My cGPA is 3.35 & my sGPA is 3.28.
I have Hundreds of hours of volunteering and Shadowing/clinical experience along with very strong circulars.
I am Taking my MCAT at the end of August so that is one important factor that I know is missing.

I am a resident of Virginia and am interested in pursuing Rural Medicine in underserved communities. I am also open to anywhere out of state.

Could you guys recommend which Schools I should apply to and whether I should apply broadly this cycle, or a select few this cycle and broadly next cycle (If I do not get in this cycle).

Also, I only had to ever retake one class, Gen Chem II. However, I had to take this class 3 times. I know this will probably come up in interviews. I had family issues each time (except the last time which I got a B) in addition to overloaded credits, working and being on many executive boards of clubs/organizations. I passed the class every time, just not above a C (C-/D+). I realize, the fault lies with me and I cannot blame anything else, but, I did grow from the experience and learned a lot, I also did not let it discourage me and kept on pushing. I have had a general upward curve since then.

How should I address this issues during interviews? How much will it affect me? Any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there everyone,

So I am going into my senior year and in the process of applying to D.O. Schools.

My cGPA is 3.35 & my sGPA is 3.28.
I have Hundreds of hours of volunteering and Shadowing/clinical experience along with very strong circulars.
I am Taking my MCAT at the end of August so that is one important factor that I know is missing.

I am a resident of Virginia and am interested in pursuing Rural Medicine in underserved communities. I am also open to anywhere out of state.

Could you guys recommend which Schools I should apply to and whether I should apply broadly this cycle, or a select few this cycle and broadly next cycle (If I do not get in this cycle).

Also, I only had to ever retake one class, Gen Chem II. However, I had to take this class 3 times. I know this will probably come up in interviews. I had family issues each time (except the last time which I got a B) in addition to overloaded credits, working and being on many executive boards of clubs/organizations. I passed the class every time, just not above a C (C-/D+). I realize, the fault lies with me and I cannot blame anything else, but, I did grow from the experience and learned a lot, I also did not let it discourage me and kept on pushing. I have had a general upward curve since then.

How should I address this issues during interviews? How much will it affect me? Any advice is appreciated.
There are pros and cons of applying broadly this cycle vs next. You should decide that after you get your MCAT score. Dont get ahead of yourself. You could flunk the MCAT and all your plans will go out the window. So no use in figuring that out now.

As for the issue, just be honest about it. Explain what happened and how your learned from it.

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed with poster above. One step at time.

Last edited: