D.O. teaching at allopathic school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not sure exactly what @83462 is asking, but there's a huge difference between "teaching" and having a tenure-track professorship. Non-titled MDs at medical schools are employees of the hospital that are often recruited for help on clerkships. Then there are a slew of "Instructor" or "Adjunct" positions that have some ties to the medical school and sometimes give lectures. Finally there are the tenure track faculty that have significantly more teaching/research responsibility and a lot more upward mobility within the medical school system. All of them teach in some capacity, but only the tenure-track faculty are legitimately vying for higher and higher promotions and more influence within the med school. The non-tenure track faculty are often paid more, because they spend more time seeing patients, but the DOs teaching at a mid-tier MD school probably aren't in positions that will lead to being Chief of Medicine or getting absorbed into the upper levels of hospital leadership.

I'm gonna throw out that this is going to vary hugely based on the structure of a given medical school. I currently hold two academic appointments at two separate medical schools. Neither medical school compensates me for my time, but I'm not considered an adjunct faculty member, just a non-tenure track. I can still go for promotion on either a regular physician track or a modified physician track (i.e. promoted to 'Clinical Associate Professor' instead of 'Associate Professor') depending on my scholarly activity spread. But even those who do get some funding from the medical school for their time (such as the clerkship director, various deans, etc) are still in the non-tenure track and can still work on becoming more influential in the medical school/health system. The former interim chair of our department is now one of the Vice Presidents of the Health System. Another one of our faculty serves as a Dean of the SOM.

@83462 , FWIW, we have several DOs in our division and one of them is one of the most prolific researchers in our division and managed to get promoted to Associate Professor in 5 years. The main GME person at our hospital (overseeing something absurd like 100 training programs) is also a DO. The MDs far outnumber the DOs in leadership, but if it's something you're interested in, you can make it happen.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't disagree, but the reality isn't so simple. There aren't enough card-carrying anatomists to go around (not by a long shot), and their numbers continue to dwindle each year. Anatomy graduate programs still exist, but the don't attract enough students to meet demand. Hence, medical schools all across the country have had to rely on people in other fields (like physical therapists and anthropologists) to close the gap. Using physicians to teach anatomy is possible, but it's hella expensive and you end up relying on part-time faculty of variable quality.

With a PhD in anatomy you can always find an academic job that pays decently. Aside from the wondrous joys of teaching medical students, I'm not sure why more people don't do it.
This is interesting context. To clarify on my original posts, our chiropractor and PA lecturer are both in the anatomy department. Sorry to OP for borrowing this thread; didn't expect my question to be that contentious.

I'm gonna throw out that this is going to vary hugely based on the structure of a given medical school. I currently hold two academic appointments at two separate medical schools. Neither medical school compensates me for my time, but I'm not considered an adjunct faculty member, just a non-tenure track. I can still go for promotion on either a regular physician track or a modified physician track (i.e. promoted to 'Clinical Associate Professor' instead of 'Associate Professor') depending on my scholarly activity spread. But even those who do get some funding from the medical school for their time (such as the clerkship director, various deans, etc) are still in the non-tenure track and can still work on becoming more influential in the medical school/health system. The former interim chair of our department is now one of the Vice Presidents of the Health System. Another one of our faculty serves as a Dean of the SOM.
This is enlightening, because at my medical school all of the MDs in the executive leadership team were either tenure-track faculty or worked in healthcare consulting as an MD/MBA, and virtually everyone in the admin/leadership is an MD or a foreign equivalent (e.g., MBBS/PhD). The hierarchy here seems to be "Instructor of Medicine" = fresh residency grad getting paid pennies and waiting for a tenure track spot and then "Clinical [blank] Professor" = Affiliated but paid by someone else (hospital directly) and generally tenuously affiliated with the medical school and simply done climbing ladders. The "Clinical Professors" I've worked with here seem to just focus on medicine while the assistant/associate professors are grinding and spread a little more thin.
Oh, sorry. No. He started as a Practice Manager which is like an entry level job after college, or someone with lower level management experience.
Ah, got it. I'm actually shocked that an exec VP even makes that much. Not even the CEOs of most large public hospitals are bringing in that kind of money.

This is enlightening, because at my medical school all of the MDs in the executive leadership team were either tenure-track faculty or worked in healthcare consulting as an MD/MBA, and virtually everyone in the admin/leadership is an MD or a foreign equivalent (e.g., MBBS/PhD). The hierarchy here seems to be "Instructor of Medicine" = fresh residency grad getting paid pennies and waiting for a tenure track spot and then "Clinical [blank] Professor" = Affiliated but paid by someone else (hospital directly) and generally tenuously affiliated with the medical school and simply done climbing ladders. The "Clinical Professors" I've worked with here seem to just focus on medicine while the assistant/associate professors are grinding and spread a little more thin.

Ah, got it. I'm actually shocked that an exec VP even makes that much. Not even the CEOs of most large public hospitals are bringing in that kind of money.
It's a very big network. Id say more, but I don't want to reveal his or my location.. He managed to climb the corporate ladder, selling his soul no doubt, but I admire his survival skills. I could never work in that capacity. I found clinical practice and teaching more rewarding than his job would be, including his compensation.

Reactions: 1 users