D.O. vs D.O.M.P???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usdomedhopeful

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm just wondering if D.O (Doctor of Osteopathy) and D.O.M.P (Doctor of Osteopathic Manual Practice) are the same thing? I want to contact several D.O.s to ask them if I can shadow them, but when I search online there are only D.O.M.P's (I live in Toronto, Canada). Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm just wondering if D.O (Doctor of Osteopathy) and D.O.M.P (Doctor of Osteopathic Manual Practice) are the same thing? I want to contact several D.O.s to ask them if I can shadow them, but when I search online there are only D.O.M.P's (I live in Toronto, Canada). Please help!

DO is a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine - the medicine part being critical (not a doctor or osteopathy). You would be a fully licensed physician.

I believe DOMP is a Diploma of Osteopathic Manual Practice - that person would not be a physician or recognized as a medical doctor. The would purely do musculoskeletal manipulation.

The two are very different and you should shadow a MD or DO for medical school purposes.

No other country has DOs like the US does. Osteopaths in other countries are not physicians, so just shadow an MD - you'll get a pass for not shadowing a DO since they don't really exist in Canada.

Members don't see this ad :)
So then why do Canadian applicants bother applying to US DO schools?

He means physicians with a DO degree that trained in Canada.

Obviously, people can train in the US and move to Canada or go back home. For that reason, there aren't as many DOs available to shadow I am sure. Furthermore, you don't need to shadow a DO to go to a DO school (however, it does help).

Because a US DO can work as a physician in many/ most countries. Foreign trained DOs are not physicians. US DOs are physicians.

Because we can't get into Canadian MD schools :p

Like the other post said, Osteopaths (DOMP) only do the OMM. USDO..well that's obvious.