D School w/ Summer Schedules

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Persevere13

Witness
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i've heard this in passing - but could ppl start rattling off schools that have summer terms (ie no break for summer may-august)??

i heard PITT was a school that has this can anyone verify?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ohio State switched to summer terms starting 1st year, so your breaks are:

Sept 1-Sept 25 ish
Dec 8-Jan 4 ish

Summer quarter is also only 13 credits (about 3/5th a normal one), and you get out every day at noon, so you could have a part-time job, but you can't have a vacation! :mad:

i think a lot of dental schools have summer school now....unlike in the past.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was curious about this too,
I am applying from Canada, and most schools here have summer off :)

I was curious about this too,
I am applying from Canada, and most schools here have summer off :)
Here's the summer break schedule for Minnesota:
D1: 10 weeks from end of June thru Labor Day
D2-D4: about 4 weeks off from second week of August thru Labor Day

D2 year starts with summer semester

I think most schools have a summer break during D1 and D2 year, with summer semesters D2/D3 and D3/D4. I'm sure you a few weeks off but now a lot.

yea I heard that the summer before dental school will most likely be your last summer vacation ever.

I actually like to have some summer classes though to knock out a few tough cookies. I think if gross anatomy took place during the summer before dental school, D1 would be a lot friendlier.

yea I heard that the summer before dental school will most likely be your last summer vacation ever.

I actually like to have some summer classes though to knock out a few tough cookies. I think if gross anatomy took place during the summer before dental school, D1 would be a lot friendlier.
Amen to that!

i think a lot of dental schools have summer school now....unlike in the past.

Yeah dentistry is more complex now and the profession demands higher training coming out of school. Adding summer coursework and clinic time is a solid chunk of time for more training.

Pacific used to stand out in their close to year-round schedule. Who knows how much longer the 3-years can be maintained. There is just so much more info that is being crammed in every year. Although if we could get rid of dentures.... :D

Pacific's summer break: ~June 15th - ~July 15th. With basically no 'opportunities' for more clinic or coursework in-house during that time.

so i've heard this in passing - but could ppl start rattling off schools that have summer terms (ie no break for summer may-august)??

i heard PITT was a school that has this can anyone verify?

UNC has summer term. Start actually seeing patients (you actually perform basic procedures, not just cleanings) summer term of 1st year.

According to the great info I've gotten from TayloratDuke and cyrptozoologist, t's basically a trimester system at UNC... definitely for the first two years, not sure about D3 & D4. ~3-4 weeks off between trimesters.