D1 Athlete, non-traditional, GPA (meh) What are my chances of getting in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SS045

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been reading a few threads in all the forums posted here and I was hoping some of you could give me some indication of how I will do once I apply to schools and maybe what schools I should look into.
So here's my story

-Grew up with my mother in Guatemala while she was doing medical missions around Guatemala city. Spent most of my teens in a hospital volunteering and translating for patients and doctors.

-D1 volleyball player, Did not take my first two years of academics seriously (not even a little bit). I transferred schools to play and finally put in some effort! I graduated with my degree in psychology with a 3.8 GPA.

-After graduation I realized I wanted to continue working in healthcare but I felt like being a physician was what I would really love. I got a job in a hospital as a phlebotomist, where I have been for the past year. I also spent that year completing all the prerequisites for MD.

-Shadowed a few PS's, surgeons, primary care doctors here and there.

- Volunteered with athletics and a little out on my own.

-Research assistant for Developmental Psych and Sociology Labs

Finished the year of Prereqs with a 3.5 (I left my last school with a 3.0)

I am taking the MCAT AUG 19, I have been scoring 500-505 on Practice tests the last few weeks.

Please let me know what you guys think and if you have any advice please let me know!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Can you please summarize what is your sGPA and cGPA?

I have been reading a few threads in all the forums posted here and I was hoping some of you could give me some indication of how I will do once I apply to schools and maybe what schools I should look into.
So here's my story

-Grew up with my mother in Guatemala while she was doing medical missions around Guatemala city. Spent most of my teens in a hospital volunteering and translating for patients and doctors.

-D1 volleyball player, Did not take my first two years of academics seriously (not even a little bit). I transferred schools to play and finally put in some effort! I graduated with my degree in psychology with a 3.8 GPA.

-After graduation I realized I wanted to continue working in healthcare but I felt like being a physician was what I would really love. I got a job in a hospital as a phlebotomist, where I have been for the past year. I also spent that year completing all the prerequisites for MD.

-Shadowed a few PS's, surgeons, primary care doctors here and there.

- Volunteered with athletics and a little out on my own.

-Research assistant for Developmental Psych and Sociology Labs

Finished the year of Prereqs with a 3.5 (I left my last school with a 3.0)

I am taking the MCAT AUG 19, I have been scoring 500-505 on Practice tests the last few weeks.

Please let me know what you guys think and if you have any advice please let me know!!

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on which practice tests you're doing. That's a decent range to be in for Kaplan or TPR. Typically you score higher than those practice tests on the real thing. A better indicator of your score will be AAMC's content.

My sGPS is a 3.3 and my cGPA is a 3.5

If you manage to get a 510+ on the MCAT, I would go ahead and apply to your state schools maybe a few other MD schools. It helps that you can speak another language as well.

You said that you grew up in Guatemala with your mother. Do you know if you qualify as URM status?

Circling the drain for MD.
So an update on my progress, I did not do as well as I would have liked on the MCAT , 496 (not my best moment). I decided to only apply to my state schools (for tuition purposes) and DO schools. In regards to my GPA there is an upward trend in my classes; my Postbacc courses are all A's and B's. I was accepted to SGU but I doubt I want to go that route. I am not comfortable with the obscene amount of debt. I have gone through my school's Premed Advisory Committee and they were very impressed with me and told me as long as I could get an interview they did not doubt that I would get an offer.
My main question would be how should I approach admissions offices in order to get that interview? I have heard stories from medical students stating they simply called and plead their case, but I am not sure how they went about doing that. Any suggestions and/or advice is greatly appreciated.

A 496 is equivalent to a 23 on the old MCAT. This is lethal for all MD schools and tons of DO schools, including mine. Even LUCOM has standards.

You may have some luck with LECOM, UIW, RVU-UT, ARCOM, WVSOM, LMU, KYCOM, all three VCOMs, ACOM, and NYITCOM-AR.

Your MCAT score puts you in the risk zone for failing out of med school and/or failing Boards.

Calling Admissions offices and begging or pestering them will lead to you getting a warning, followed by a court order. You show a med school that you're interested in them by sending them an application, not by being a special snowflake with entitlement issues.

I strongly suggest planning for an MCAT retake.

So an update on my progress, I did not do as well as I would have liked on the MCAT , 496 (not my best moment). I decided to only apply to my state schools (for tuition purposes) and DO schools. In regards to my GPA there is an upward trend in my classes; my Postbacc courses are all A's and B's. I was accepted to SGU but I doubt I want to go that route. I am not comfortable with the obscene amount of debt. I have gone through my school's Premed Advisory Committee and they were very impressed with me and told me as long as I could get an interview they did not doubt that I would get an offer.
My main question would be how should I approach admissions offices in order to get that interview? I have heard stories from medical students stating they simply called and plead their case, but I am not sure how they went about doing that. Any suggestions and/or advice is greatly appreciated.

Reactions: 1 users
A 496 is equivalent to a 23 on the old MCAT. This is lethal for all MD schools and tons of DO schools, including mine. Even LUCOM has standards.

You may have some luck with LECOM, UIW, RVU-UT, ARCOM, WVSOM, LMU, KYCOM, all three VCOMs, ACOM, and NYITCOM-AR.

Your MCAT score puts you in the risk zone for failing out of med school and/or failing Boards.

Calling Admissions offices and begging or pestering them will lead to you getting a warning, followed by a court order. You show a med school that you're interested in them by sending them an application, not by being a special snowflake with entitlement issues.

I strongly suggest planning for an MCAT retake.
Thank you for responding. I know the MCAT score is absurd. I was actually scoring 510-515 on Aamc practice tests. A lot went wrong on test day unfortunately. I am planning a retake for early February. I thought I should at least apply since my fees were not too outrageous but if I don't get any interviews I will most certainly be applying next cycle.

That would be a waste of time and money. Take your mom out to dinner instead.
What are your thoughts on a Post bacc for me instead of just a retake of the MCAT?

So quick update for everyone who replied and gave input a few months ago, I ended up getting interviews at 3 schools (two MD and one DO). I was accepted to Arkansas School of Osteopathic Medicine and I will be attending there in the fall.

Thanks for answering my questions during my application period! Now on to student loans....

Reactions: 3 users