Daaat

Started by KenFred
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

KenFred

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am considering changeing careers and am trying to get as much information as possible before I make this decision. I am a finance major and would have to go back to school to take my science courses. But in regards to the DAT, would I be qualified, or better yet, be capable of taking the DAT exam after taking these courses in college. I ask because I am hesitant about paying and taking these courses only to find out later that the DAT exam covers more info than the science courses I have to take.

I am actually going to school now for my MBA and have a 3.3 GPA. I know this is the the most ideal for dental schools, but would I still be considered and would my previous work experience help or not? I have worked in investment banking, consulting and banking. I can use all the leverage I can get.

I have always wanted to be a dentist, but I was stronger in math so I choose that route, but now I wish I went the dental route initally.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
 
If you do well in your pre-req courses, you should be fine for the DAT. There is also a perceptual ability section, for which you will have to practice.

Which pre-req courses have you already taken?
 
I have only taken one Chem class so I have to take all the sciences. I figure I can take them in one full year including summer sessions. Does this sounds right to you?
 
That sounds fine to me. I did summer school as well (both terms of physics and worked full time - I thought I was going to die!) in order to plow through my pre-reqs. It is possible to do them as you have planned, especially if you don't have to worry about any other courses such as english which might interupt your study-science-24-7 mindset. It is never too late to change your mind, and if you do well in your science courses, you could bring that gpa up (which is about average for a lot of dental schools).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
KenFred: A lot of schools look favorably on older applicants, because they have a lot of maturity and life experiences. Stay focused, maintain an "A" average in your prereq courses (Biology/Chemistry/Physics GPA is important to admissions committees), and do well on the DAT, and you'll be in dental school in no time. Good luck!
 
Hello Ken and welcome! I also changed careers just like you and I'm about to embark on the DAT next month. Like you, I have a previous business career, however, my function was Human Resources and I did it for over 7 years. I started taking my science pre-reqs in Jan 2003 and I started very slowly just because honestly I didn't know what to expect, I was a little scared and ultimately didn't want to "screw" up my GPA. I started with 2, then only took 1 summer class and did lots of volunteering, then I took 3 classes in the Fall and last Spring I took 4 classes, so I increased as I went along. I'm sure I would have been been completed in one year if I wouldn't have "chickened" off in the beginning, but again... coming from a non-science environment, I just didn't know what to expect. Last semester I took Organic 2, Physics 2, and two upper division Biology courses including Physiology. My courses were challenging, but I was able to cope. Out of 10 science classes I've gotten 1 B and the rest As, so it's definitely doable. Next semester I'm planning on taking Biochem, Micro and Cell Bio and in the Spring I'm planning on taking another 3 upper div. Biology courses. All in all I will have had 10 Biology courses, most of them upper division, so this will help me with my "non-science" background. If you really want it, it's attainable but it takes tons of work and dedication and strong vision to look ahead. Good luck!!
 
Thanks for all your positive comments.

I have a question for wimmcs:

Why did you take all those BIO courses? Are you getting a bachelor's in BIO? From my understanding all you need is 2 courses with labs in Bio and Phy and 4 in Chem. (Atleast I think that's right). Obviously some schools recommend you take additional courses.

I just want to make sure I understand what is ahead of me.

Thanks again
 
KenFred said:
Thanks for all your positive comments.

I have a question for wimmcs:

Why did you take all those BIO courses? Are you getting a bachelor's in BIO? From my understanding all you need is 2 courses with labs in Bio and Phy and 4 in Chem. (Atleast I think that's right). Obviously some schools recommend you take additional courses.

I just want to make sure I understand what is ahead of me.

Thanks again

No - I'm not getting a bachelor's in Biology, I only did it because 1) I have the time to do it and prepare for d-school and 2) because I want to seem as competitive as someone who's coming in with a science degree. I did some research and found that most incoming students had some sort of science degree, mostly in Biology. Yes, most schools do accept students who come from a non-science background, but not many and I want to be as competitive as I can be. In doing research, I also found that many ad-coms want to see those students that don't come in with a science degree/background take some upper division science classes and do well in them, so that's what I'm doing. I started with your attitude of only taking the minimum requirements, but I changed my mind after doing extensive reserach. This is not to say that many people have gotten accepted with the bare minimum science pre-reqs, but I just don't want to take my chances after all that I know now. Good luck!