PhD/PsyD Daily evaluations for tracking fluctuations in ADHD outpatient cognitive functioning?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lightisbest

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What sort of evaluation might be used for evaluating a patients' cognitive function on a regular basis? Patient's psychiatrist has inquired about tracking self-reported fluctuations in cognitive functioning on a daily basis. Patient has reported only marginal benefits from a number of strong ADHD medications at high dosages.

Patient diagnoses:
ADHD, Inattentive Type
Generalized Anxiety Disorder
GAF=60

One of my friends from high school who is now a PsyD (I am still clueless how he managed this) mentioned he recommends Lumosity.com to some of his patients experiencing moderate cognitive problems but I was under the impression that there was little credible evidence of its efficacy. Additionally, it looks like it is for "training" as opposed to tracking.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What sort of evaluation might be used for evaluating a patients' cognitive function on a regular basis? Patient's psychiatrist has inquired about tracking self-reported fluctuations in cognitive functioning on a daily basis. Patient has reported only marginal benefits from a number of strong ADHD medications at high dosages.

Patient diagnoses:
ADHD, Inattentive Type
GAF=60

One of my friends from high school who is now a PsyD (I am still clueless how he managed this) mentioned he recommends Lumosity.com to some of his patients experiencing moderate cognitive problems but I was under the impression that there was little credible evidence of its efficacy. Additionally, it looks like it is for "training" as opposed to tracking.

I don't think your friends psychiatrist understands ADHD very well

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Patient diagnoses:
ADHD, Inattentive Type
GAF=60

Maybe the stimulants aren't working because of the anxiety. We can't measure ADHD so we can't really track it. I would wager that if you could get the kid off the electronics and engaged in more physical and social activity, the ADHD and the anxiety would be less of a problem. The hard part is trying to change the environment as opposed to trying to change the kid.

Reactions: 1 users
Your PsyD friend is not very informed about the literature of "brain games." Self-reported cognitive fluctuations are not going to be very helpfulas most symptoms are non-specific and are more susceptible to mood fluctuations than anything else. I'd focus on either operational things (e.g., time able to spend studying, # of times distracted during a task, etc) and functional outcomes (i.e., grades).

Reactions: 1 user