dalhousie pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also does anyone have any general questions about the program?

Members don't see this ad.

I have two questions:

1. If I repeat a class for some reason, would the pharmacy look at my original grade as well as the repeated grade and average them up to calculate my cGPA?

2. I heard from one of my friends in Pharmacy that if Margaret calls once and if you don't answer the call, then she is less likely to call somebody else. In other words, if you miss the call, you don't get a chance for an interview. I e-mailed Margaret but she didn't reply.

1. Dalhousie will take your higher grade and replace it with your lower grade. Therefore, when the College of Pharmacy looks at your transcript they will only see your higher grade.

2. That is false because they do leave voice mails, and you are suppose to e-mail them back confirming that you want the interview. They will then send you more information about where it is and a map just to make sure you know the location :)

1. Are the interviews blind? Do the interviewers know anything about the applicants beforehand?

2. Also, does everyone receive the same question? (wording wise) or do candidates receive a variation of the same question?

3. When you're done a station do you go back to a waiting room where everyone is?

4. Does everyone move through the stations in order or do some do stations 1-5 while others do 6-10? Are you broken up into groups?

5. Are you allowed talk to (obviously not about the interview content, but just in general) other candidates after each station?

6. After you're asked a question, how much "thinking time" do you have max.?

7. Are you allowed to have water/a drink and a snack with you?

8. How is the score calculated? Averaged I'm guessing?

9. What if you know one of your interviewers?

10. How long would the whole process last? Apprx.? I've read around 3hrs.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
1. Are the interviews blind? Do the interviewers know anything about the applicants beforehand?

2. Also, does everyone receive the same question? (wording wise) or do candidates receive a variation of the same question?

3. When you're done a station do you go back to a waiting room where everyone is?

4. Does everyone move through the stations in order or do some do stations 1-5 while others do 6-10? Are you broken up into groups?

5. Are you allowed talk to (obviously not about the interview content, but just in general) other candidates after each station?

6. After you're asked a question, how much "thinking time" do you have max.?

7. Are you allowed to have water/a drink and a snack with you?

8. How is the score calculated? Averaged I'm guessing?

9. What if you know one of your interviewers?

10. How long would the whole process last? Apprx.? I've read around 3hrs.

1. To my understanding they don't know anything about who they are interviewing beforehand.

2. You will be asked the same questions as everyone else that is in your group. When I say group I mean that there are 2 different days they do the interviews, and they split everyone up into groups each of those days (how exactly I do not know if it is on cGPA or not). I am unaware if the questions are the same group to group (because you are not allowed to talk about the questions to anyone after the interview is over).

3. The best way to describe this is by thinking of it like circuit training in the gym. Everyone does a certain exercise until the time is up and then everyone moves at the same time.

4. I sort of answered this from the stuff above...

5. You don't really have time to talk after the interview process begins. You can talk to everyone else in the morning when everyone meets up before your split into groups and the interviews begin.

6. You can have as long as you wish, but the longer you think the less time you have to talk about your response. When the time is up you are forced to move on.

7. There are 2 break stations and they give you water. (that is how it was done in the previous years at least)

8. When you are talking about your score do you mean for the interview, or overall score of grades + interview?

9. If you know one of the interviewers they are suppose to mark it down that they know you (at least that is what I have been told). I am unaware if that station would count or not.

10. The interview process would be about 2 hours, but you will be there for around 3 hours because there is a little introduction thing where they split everyone into groups and inform you of the process. Also they do take you on a tour of the College of Pharmacy at the very end of your interview if you would like. Which is about 30-60 mins.

Hopefully you guys liked my responses :)

1. To my understanding they don't know anything about who they are interviewing beforehand.

2. You will be asked the same questions as everyone else that is in your group. When I say group I mean that there are 2 different days they do the interviews, and they split everyone up into groups each of those days (how exactly I do not know if it is on cGPA or not). I am unaware if the questions are the same group to group (because you are not allowed to talk about the questions to anyone after the interview is over).

3. The best way to describe this is by thinking of it like circuit training in the gym. Everyone does a certain exercise until the time is up and then everyone moves at the same time.

4. I sort of answered this from the stuff above...

5. You don't really have time to talk after the interview process begins. You can talk to everyone else in the morning when everyone meets up before your split into groups and the interviews begin.

6. You can have as long as you wish, but the longer you think the less time you have to talk about your response. When the time is up you are forced to move on.

etc...

Hopefully you guys liked my responses :)

Great responses thanks! Gives me a better picture of things.

I mean just the interview portion for the score calc.

Last edited:
Just want to elaborate on #6. You're given the question on the door and have 2 minutes to read and formulate your thoughts. A buzzer goess off. You go in the room and have 8 minutes to discuss the topic. You can use 1 minute of that time or all 8.

For people that have had an MMI before, what did you find was the best way to prepare?

There is no way to really completely prepare yourself. I have done MMI interview at UofT this year and it has a mix of stations that require you to think on the spot and communicate. I would make sure you know a little bit about current topics in Canadian healthcare and ethics. Practice questions can be helpful as well. You can find these from most med-school webpages. I think it is more important to show them you can think on your feet, can take a position on an issue and justify your reasoning effectively.

Anyone get an interview notice yet? Still waiting here...

There is no way to really completely prepare yourself. I have done MMI interview at UofT this year and it has a mix of stations that require you to think on the spot and communicate. I would make sure you know a little bit about current topics in Canadian healthcare and ethics. Practice questions can be helpful as well. You can find these from most med-school webpages. I think it is more important to show them you can think on your feet, can take a position on an issue and justify your reasoning effectively.

Anyone get an interview notice yet? Still waiting here...

Thank you! And no, no notice yet :/

Thank you! And no, no notice yet :/

Just reading around other Dalhousie Pharmacy threads and talking to people in the program most folks seem to have heard about interviews between the 7th and 10th of April ... so most likely next week some time.

Last edited:
Ugh this wait is killing me :scared:
Trying to study for exams and the question of did I receive an interview this year is in the back of my mind, not sure if my head can take it anymore... :boom:

Margeret said there'd be calls around this week or next week

Hey guys!

I got a call today saying I got an interview so you guys shouldn't have to wait too much longer! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Ugh this wait is killing me :scared:
Trying to study for exams and the question of did I receive an interview this year is in the back of my mind, not sure if my head can take it anymore... :boom:

Haha this wait will be nothing compared to the one after the interview assuming we get them. I'm pretty confident I'll get one, so I'm not too worried but I guess you can never be completely sure..

Awesome news! Happy someone gets to stress a little less, lol

Just got an interview call as well!

Lol **** they called my house today and I wasn't there. Gotta wait until Monday now..

Congrats to the people who received a call already! If you wouldn't mind me asking what was your cGPA?

I don't know my GPA as my university doesn't really use them and there's so many different scales . But my average when applying was a 91 % . Hope that helps !

Also, received a call for an interview. I chose Saturday at 8am. Good luck to all who are waiting for their calls and congrats to those who've received an interview.

cGPA 3.7. I rec'd an interview last year with a 3.55 cGPA

Hi folks,

I'm a 2nd year university student and non-maritime candidate with a GPA of 3.78. What are my chances of getting an invitation to the interview and to be accepted?
Do they call non-maritime candidates or the information is sent only by e-mail?

Thanks and congrats to everyone that has already received their interview call.

I got a call on Thursday morning and I am an out-of-province applicant. I have a GPA around 3.94/4

Got an interview! My GPA is just around 3.7 for the person wondering.

Hey guys ! I got a call friday for an interview! I'm a non-maritime student and my GPA is 3.8/4.0. Just wondering how many non-maritime students they interview for the limited spots? I'm assuming around 15-20 students for the 9 (maximum) spots.

Big congrats to everyone that has gotten an interview so far. Time to tackle that MMI prep.

Hey guys ! I got a call friday for an interview! I'm a non-maritime student and my GPA is 3.8/4.0. Just wondering how many non-maritime students they interview for the limited spots? I'm assuming around 15-20 students for the 9 (maximum) spots.

Big congrats to everyone that has gotten an interview so far. Time to tackle that MMI prep.

I'd like to know how many too. I'd say no more than 20-25. And you have to consider that the candidates with superb GPA will probably get admitted in their home provinces too. With a 3.8 GPA, did you get invited to the psychometric test at Laval or UdeM?

I'd like to know how many too. I'd say no more than 20-25. And you have to consider that the candidates with superb GPA will probably get admitted in their home provinces too. With a 3.8 GPA, did you get invited to the psychometric test at Laval or UdeM?

Unfortunately I had to withdraw my candidacy from UofM because the mandatory French test fell on the same day as my interview at U of T. In the end I wasn't too upset because I don't think my French proficiency is high enough to get an interview (they require English students to get at least an 86 on the test which is historically super difficult). I didn't apply to Laval.

Has anyone gotten the int. email yet?

I got an interview for the 28th with a 3.7 gpa. Where can we find MMI prep?

There are some great forums around here. Just seach up top MMI Prep you should be good to go. :D

A lot of medical school websites have practice questions. Also, check the career resource office at your current university because a lot of schools get access to specialized MMI prep and admissions books.

Maritime. You might need a bit higher if you're OOP but I can't imagine you needing too much higher than that for an interview.

I'm scratching my head since I've learned other OOP candidates have already got an interview call with a 3.8 GPA and I haven't, till now, with a 3.78. :confused:

I'm scratching my head since I've learned other OOP candidates have already got an interview call with a 3.8 GPA and I haven't, till now, with a 3.78. :confused:

I guess we just have to sit back and wait... I have not yet received a call about an interview, I was even on the Dean's list last semester. *fingers crossed* Does anyone know when the last day they will be calling people is?

Hey everyone! Congrats to those that have received an invitation for an interview!
This forum has been very helpful through the year so thanks to all you guys keeping it so up to date. I just got a call today and the MMI is definitely on my mind.
If there is anyone on here living in the general Halifax area that would want to get together and do some MMI prep I would love to meet with you.
This can be a stressful process in itself and I think we could greatly benefit by meeting other Pharmacy hopefuls and hopefully exchange tips and thoughts on how to prepare.
Let me know if this interests anyone and I can email you! :)

-Sara

How many of you are from the Maritimes, and have you heard anything yet?

Apparently there is no particular order in which they give out the interviews, and they will be done giving them out by the end of this week.

I think they should go alphabetically just so you know what day you should expect a call for the interview on :p

UGH this is hard to study for exams while waiting for that call...

I think they should go alphabetically just so you know what day you should expect a call for the interview on :p

UGH this is hard to study for exams while waiting for that call...

I completely agree. I have a strange feeling that if I do get the call, it'll be tomorrow during my exam.... I have just that luck.

What would be the lowest GPA pharmacy accepts this year?

What would be the lowest GPA pharmacy accepts this year?

Well it matters if you mean accepts for an interview or accepts into the program. I am just going to assume you meant accepts for an interview. I have been told that the department has yet to calculate the average cGPA, so I don't think anyone would know yet what the lowest cGPA is either. Each year it varies though based on the application pool. I think I remember hearing about someone getting an interview in a previous year with a cGPA of 3.2 or 3.3 ish out of 4.3.

(if you do get an answer please let me know tho because I would be curious to know myself :))

Only 2 more days to receive interviews... good luck to everyone still waiting to hear.

Well it matters if you mean accepts for an interview or accepts into the program. I am just going to assume you meant accepts for an interview. I have been told that the department has yet to calculate the average cGPA, so I don't think anyone would know yet what the lowest cGPA is either. Each year it varies though based on the application pool. I think I remember hearing about someone getting an interview in a previous year with a cGPA of 3.2 or 3.3 ish out of 4.3.

(if you do get an answer please let me know tho because I would be curious to know myself :))

Only 2 more days to receive interviews... good luck to everyone still waiting to hear.

How do they figure out who to invite for an interview? I always assumed that if you made it to the interview stage you were "qualified" academically :scared:

Do they give equal weight to the prerequisites? (If you know)

I have read in a forum that someone got in with a 2.9 cGPA. They said their last years were much better than previous so I'm not sure if that played into the committee's decision ... or even if that is true. I'm gonna ask around (credible sources) and if I get any insight I'll let you guys know!

I was just re-reading the College's website -

"After an initial screening procedure based on academic achievement, the top candidates will be invited for an orientation/interview session which assesses non-academic skills and qualities."

Last edited:
Even after our interviews our marks still matter. Each person gets a score : 60% based on marks and 40% interview score. Then the individuals with the top scores get accepted into the program

How do they figure out who to invite for an interview? I always assumed that if you made it to the interview stage you were "qualified" academically :scared:

Do they give equal weight to the prerequisites? (If you know)

I have read in a forum that someone got in with a 2.9 cGPA. They said their last years were much better than previous so I'm not sure if that played into the committee's decision ... or even if that is true. I'm gonna ask around (credible sources) and if I get any insight I'll let you guys know!

I was just re-reading the College's website -

"After an initial screening procedure based on academic achievement, the top candidates will be invited for an orientation/interview session which assesses non-academic skills and qualities."

To pick the people for the interview they take the top 200 ish people that applied based on cGPA (taking into account that they have taken the pre-reqs). It does not matter if you are taking 3rd year biochemistry and organic chemistry classes or if you are taking 1st year music, they only look at your cGPA and don't look at your classes (rather than the re-reqs you are required to take).

For your question about being "qualified" after receiving an interview your grades will be reassessed at the end of June. Your acceptance into the program is weighed 60% grades and 40% interview.