dallas area IM residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pigsinspace

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the St. Paul community-based program in Dallas? or Methodist? or Baylor Dallas? or Presbyterian Dallas? My husband has a good job in Dallas that he would like to keep. Unfortunately, I have been rejected from UT Southwestern. I am applying to other programs too. I also have interviews at Baylor Houston, Cleveland Clinic, Yale (primary care track), and some others here and there. At this point I do not think I want to do a fellowship, but I also do not want to close any doors to the option down the road. I know Baylor Dallas is a good program, and I have heard really good things about Presbyterian. Any input on these programs would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

pigsinspace,

I would say that after UTSW, Baylor Dallas in another program that would offer an excellent 3 years of IM training and would set you up pretty well for fellowship if you planned to do one. As far as I know, they have three fellowships there themselves -- GI, Cards, and Heme-Onc. I could be mistaken. The training there is good, good mix of insured and indigent patients, and you see a lot of bread and butter along with some zebras. I think the only caveat there is that autonomy is somewhat curtailed as most decisions are run by an attending first. Whether this is good or bad depends on how much autonomy you want/need out of your training program. I don' t think a lack of autonomy has any bearing on the quality of a program -- it's just that it's more incumbent on the trainee to take the initiative and tell the attending what the treatment plan, in his/her opinion, should be.

A lot of people have said good things about Presbyterian and Methodist as well. Presby is a more private hospital which skews your patient population away from indigent care, whereas Methodist has a patient population much more similar to Parkland (a lot of indigent pt. who come in at the later stages of their disease process). I think both would set you up pretty well for fellowships as well, but I think to be competitive for GI or Cards you'd need to be at a more recognized (from a name standpoint) place.

St. Paul's has been purchased by UTSW, but they are more than a few years off from merging their IM programs with the ones at Parkland. From what I understand, St. Paul's is pretty weak all around -- attending and resident-wise.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the input! I actually interviewed at St. Paul since my initial post and we were told that the St. Paul attendings are all UT Southwestern attendings. The floor and clinic attendings I met during my interview did have both St. Paul ID badges as well as UT Southwestern badges (so I guess they take turns doing dual duty?). You do one month of Parkland ER during your intern year, and you may do all, if not most, of your electives through Parkland. I am not sure how much more they will merge in the future. I guess it will be interesting to see.