Dammit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gut Shot

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I sent my application for the boards expedited with tracking. Can't be too careful, eh?

I noticed today that there was a "delivery exception," with "future delivery request," estimated delivery: January 5.

Problem is, the board deadline for filing applications is January 4 (which happens to be a Sunday).

Being spastic, I called the ABP and got an automated message that they're closed from December 22-January 4.

Oh well, I guess it's too late to worry about it. I assume something postmarked December 18 that shows up on Monday the 5th will be okay. If not, hello October boards!

Members don't see this ad.

That seems odd though, if you did expedited delivery (even regular mail) and sent it 12/18, it should get there next week at the latest, almost certainly this week. January 5th would be expedited for the pony express or a military dispatch from the front lines but that's about it. Perhaps what that means is that the "delivery exception" is that the boards will not be accepting mail until the 5th, so everything that would normally arrive between 12/22 and 1/4 is automatically delayed until 1/5. I would think you would be ok.

Either way though, I'm sure you won't hear anything either way until sometime in february. :rolleyes:

I have now heard that your app just needs to be postmarked by January 4. They did attempt to deliver on the 22nd, but alas, the office was closed.

Dear ABP: Please take my $2,200!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have now heard that your app just needs to be postmarked by January 4. They did attempt to deliver on the 22nd, but alas, the office was closed.

Dear ABP: Please take my $2,200!

So it's postmark only? Thank G0d...

Does anybody know if it's OK to send some documents separately from the main application? Are they going to send the application back if just one item is missing, or will they contact you and ask you to send the said item?

So it's postmark only? Thank G0d...

Apparently one of our former fellows had hers postmarked on Jan 4 last year and it still went through. The website states "The final filing dates for receipt of applications or registrations are as follows... ...January 4 for Spring primary examinations."

The final "filing dates"? WTF does that mean?

Nilf said:
Does anybody know if it's OK to send some documents separately from the main application? Are they going to send the application back if just one item is missing, or will they contact you and ask you to send the said item?

Dunno, but if it's like everything else related to medical education, they're used to dealing with a herd of brilliant idiots.

You are supposed to get a note if your application is missing something or filled out incorrectly. I don't know when that happens though. I wouldn't send it in unless all the documents are there. The exception is if you don't have a full license yet, you just send in the application form for the license and mail in a copy of the license later on.

I don't know what a filing date is either. Why not just say postmark?

For those of you doing these shenanigans in the future, a quick tip: You don't HAVE to wait until december 20th to do this. You can do it all in november or even earlier. Or you can get it all together and then wait and send it in. Don't wait until the last minute, things always come up.

For those of you doing these shenanigans in the future, a quick tip: You don't HAVE to wait until december 20th to do this. You can do it all in november or even earlier. Or you can get it all together and then wait and send it in. Don't wait until the last minute, things always come up.

Good advice.

A few helpful hints:

1. You will need to submit your autopsy list. The required info for each case is age, sex, primary diagnosis and date of autopsy. Keeping my ACGME case log current and accurate was beneficial. You also need to know how many were shared and how many were limited.

2. You will need two passport photos for the application. I despise Walgreen's, but there you go.

3. You will need multiple signatures from your program director. If you're preparing your application in December, make sure he/she isn't out of town for a prolonged holiday vacation.

4. You will need notarized photocopies of your medical school diploma and unrestricted medical license. Hopefully you have quick access to a notary public.

5. Talk to residents/fellows who have gone before you regarding how they generated their numbers. Autopsies, FNAs and bone marrows are easy. Some of the others are clearly estimates. Try not to be an outlier without good reason.

6. Plan early for the cost. Scraping together the $2,200 delayed me somewhat in starting the application process. You can use plastic, though, if you are so inclined.

Good luck!

Good advice.

A few helpful hints:

1. You will need to submit your autopsy list. The required info for each case is age, sex, primary diagnosis and date of autopsy. Keeping my ACGME case log current and accurate was beneficial. You also need to know how many were shared and how many were limited.

2. You will need two passport photos for the application. I despise Walgreen's, but there you go.

3. You will need multiple signatures from your program director. If you're preparing your application in December, make sure he/she isn't out of town for a prolonged holiday vacation.

4. You will need notarized photocopies of your medical school diploma and unrestricted medical license. Hopefully you have quick access to a notary public.

5. Talk to residents/fellows who have gone before you regarding how they generated their numbers. Autopsies, FNAs and bone marrows are easy. Some of the others are clearly estimates. Try not to be an outlier without good reason.

6. Plan early for the cost. Scraping together the $2,200 delayed me somewhat in starting the application process. You can use plastic, though, if you are so inclined.

Good luck!

Did you know that when you get passport photos at Walgreen's, you can't wear earrings or "smile with teeth"? Wow. I guess I haven't taken passport photos in a long time..... :rolleyes:

Anyway, yaah, you alluded to it taking until February to get back to us once the humongous primary application is submitted? That long? Sheesh.

Hey you guys, like Gut Shot, I sort of spazzed out when I heard that the office would be closed from Dec. 22 until Jan. 4. Fortunately, I read about that before last Friday, so I emailed the ABP on that Friday, and they replied stating that since the deadline of Jan. 4 falls on a Sunday, they will be able to accept applications until Jan. 5 Monday. They also stated that even though the office will be closed until that time, the ABP will still be accepting packages during those closed times.

Also, regarding whether you can send a separate file after you've submitted your main application, I'm not completely sure about that. However, I forgot to send in a copy of my USMLE Step 3 score until after I had already submitted the rest of my application. I sent in the Step score a few days later. I talked to my coworkers/friends about that, and they seemed to think that it should be fine. They won't send back your application just because one small part is missing, unless you're missing big chunks of your application I guess. I just included a cover letter with the Step 3 score stating that I forgot to send it in with the rest of the application and that I apologize. Just make sure not to send in an ENTIRE new application; that'll just confuse the heck out of the ABP, and they don't like to be confused!!!

One more thing, I think the Jan. 4/Jan. 5 deadline is the deadline to RECEIVE the application, not the postmark date. It stated specifically so under the FAQ section on the ABP website.

Hey you guys, like Gut Shot, I sort of spazzed out when I heard that the office would be closed from Dec. 22 until Jan. 4. Fortunately, I read about that before last Friday, so I emailed the ABP on that Friday, and they replied stating that since the deadline of Jan. 4 falls on a Sunday, they will be able to accept applications until Jan. 5 Monday. They also stated that even though the office will be closed until that time, the ABP will still be accepting packages during those closed times.

Thanks for the heads up!

wanderlust said:
One more thing, I think the Jan. 4/Jan. 5 deadline is the deadline to RECEIVE the application, not the postmark date. It stated specifically so under the FAQ section on the ABP website.

Finally, some clarity. Thanks again for posting.

Also, you don't have to send a notarized copy of your diploma, if you get a letter from your med school dean certifying graduation (saves you $10 and the hassle).

Also, you don't have to send a notarized copy of your diploma, if you get a letter from your med school dean certifying graduation (saves you $10 and the hassle).

well, that all depends on your med school. Some charge different amounts. Mine would send certified copies of my diploma without charge.

well, that all depends on your med school. Some charge different amounts. Mine would send certified copies of my diploma without charge.

Mine gave me several certified copies when I graduated. It was really no hassle at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I found the whole process to be ridiculously complicated. Honestly, as difficult as this exam is, I think the $2200 alone should completely suffice for registration purposes. There is no point to the sheer complexity of the application...if some insane 'ineligible' person wants to pay the money and travel to Tampa and take the test, let them.

As for the January 4th thing...shouldn't they have realized that it fell on a Sunday and changed it? Or posted an update? These are the people that determine if I'm going to be board certified or not? I don't see why they couldn't push it back to mid-January because having it due during the holidays is idiotic.

My parents paid my test fee for me as my Christmas present. Bah Humbug. This has the added motivational benefit of having them yell at me every time we talk that I better be studying because failure is not an option.

Aaahh..memories. This thread reminds me of all the ridicolousness I went through last year. Just be forewarned..you think that it's all over, but it isn't! Just wait until the day of the exam...when your computer crashes multiple times during the virtual microscopy exam....
As I can recall..they send you a letter in Feb or so that is vaguely worded to say that "we are in the process to see if you are elegible"...which means you are (at least in my case). Then we got our date I think around April...

SO glad it's over...and good luck to all of you for June/July!

Note to Pingu: Hope you take advantage of the shoe sales today!

I got my date in march. I only got the notice that my application was being evaluated and checked, sent to committee, whatever, after I complained that I hadn't heard anything at all (not even acknowledgment of receipt) 6 weeks after sending it in. They really do need to do a better job of letting people know the status of applications, timelines, things like that. I was told that an electronic application system would be instituted shortly (like in a couple of years) which should solve many of the issues (although I'm sure it will create many new ones).

Call me crazy, but shouldn't national board organizations be able to have access to things like Step III results, state licenses, etc, for accreditation purposes? I do not understand why the onus has to be on applicants to coordinate all of this disparate information for their convenience. It is not efficient and is expensive to do it the current way. I shudder to think of the hell that foreign grads have to go through to fill out the application. I got to skip several pages because I am an american grad of an american program.

Also, regarding whether you can send a separate file after you've submitted your main application, I'm not completely sure about that. However, I forgot to send in a copy of my USMLE Step 3 score until after I had already submitted the rest of my application. I sent in the Step score a few days later. I talked to my coworkers/friends about that, and they seemed to think that it should be fine. They won't send back your application just because one small part is missing, unless you're missing big chunks of your application I guess. I just included a cover letter with the Step 3 score stating that I forgot to send it in with the rest of the application and that I apologize. Just make sure not to send in an ENTIRE new application; that'll just confuse the heck out of the ABP, and they don't like to be confused!!!

you're freaking me out man....re: step3, i didn't send a copy of this in, being that I already have a med license (req in state of CA residency). do we still need to submit a step 3 copy?

If you already have a full medical license you don't need to send in step III. Medical licenses requires step III being passed, so if you have it, this is a given. You only need to submit step III results if you are submitting a copy of your medical license application.

you're freaking me out man....re: step3, i didn't send a copy of this in, being that I already have a med license (req in state of CA residency). do we still need to submit a step 3 copy?

Sorry! Like Yaah said, you only need to submit a copy of your Step 3 score if you don't have a medical license (I'm talking about a full real medical license, not just some temporary residency training license).

Not to completely jump the gun on this, but what hotel is it that is connected to wherever we take the test?

Also, I recall someone saying something about a special rate...is this true or part of the mythical board lore?

it's the Intercontinental. It is connected to the testing center. IDK about the rate b/c I used an alternate discount for a better rate.

Not to completely jump the gun on this, but what hotel is it that is connected to wherever we take the test?

Also, I recall someone saying something about a special rate...is this true or part of the mythical board lore?

I think the ABP webpage has a link for a the special rate (~140ish?)...
That might not be the current rate.. The just completed a renovation.. so the rate may go up...

Feel free to search for other rates... That is good compared to the base rates, but I don't know if there are cheaper rates out there..

I think you save ~10-20% on the real rate - when you get your acceptance letter it will have hotel info with that information. But there are other hotels very closeby. Embassy suites is about two blocks away, you can get a better rate there sometimes. There are cheaper hotels within walking distance. You don't want to be TOO far because then you risk something weird happening (mugging, traffic, broken traffic signal, whatever). Most people would recommend you stay in the Intercontinental because it's right there, but you don't have to.

You can book a room as soon as you know your test date. Just call the hotel and mention that you want the ABP rate.

I know some people who stayed at nearby hotels and were just fine. However, I stayed at the Intercontinental, and I would suggest other test-takers to do so as well.

You are already spending $2200 on the test itself and likely a few hundred bucks on the flight. Do you really want to jeopardize that investment to save a few dollars on the hotel room?

Being a foreign grad, I sent mine in circa the last week of November. I thought that would give me more time to make amends in case I screwed up. But no, nothing doing - I'm guessing they just put everything in a box and don't look at apps till the cut-off date. Shades of fellowship applications...

I only submitted 55 autopsies - I figured that was plenty. Don't forget to CUT OUT THE SIGNATURE CARD ;) And I paid my fee with plastic. That's a lot of frequent flyer miles.

Being a foreign grad, I sent mine in circa the last week of November. I thought that would give me more time to make amends in case I screwed up. But no, nothing doing - I'm guessing they just put everything in a box and don't look at apps till the cut-off date. Shades of fellowship applications...

I only submitted 55 autopsies - I figured that was plenty. Don't forget to CUT OUT THE SIGNATURE CARD ;) And I paid my fee with plastic. That's a lot of frequent flyer miles.

I only had 51 autopsies when I sat for boards in 2007..

Hmmm...similar to the OP, I sent my application to the ABP by priority with tracking to their express mail address last monday. They tried to deliver it twice on 12/31 and 1/2 but no one was there to accept it. Hopefully it doesn't get returned to me.

Anyone have their app delivered yet in the last few days?

Tracked mine today and it was successfully delivered.

I only had 50. And I had zero bone marrows. 10 FNAs.

Waitaminute. I thought you didn't like round numbers?

I had 3 posts on New Year's Day 2008. That was how I knew it was going to be a FMITA year.

It's been 6 weeks since I mailed mine in. I guess it's time to start being a squeaky wheel... *groan*

Last edited: