Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.

Damn Verbal....

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Dr. Don, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Dr. Don

Dr. Don Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    hey peeps, so I was looking at the national averages for the MCAT and saw that the average verbal for native spanish speakers was 4.9!!!! damn with the national average was 7.9, I believe, that's incredibly low. Before it used to be around 6....I personally don't think the verbal has anything to do with how well you'll do in the medical school... but a 4.9!!!??? either the MCAT verbal is getting tougher every year or what? I just wanted to bring this up and open it for discussion if anyone is interested, especially native spanish speakers (learned english after 11 years of age)....peace

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. A friend of mine who interviewed at several med schools had the adcom members comment on his verbal. He was asian with a score of 10. They said that most asians score around a 6.

4. AegisZero

AegisZero Senior Member

According to AAMC statistics on the verbal section from this year "most Asians" (which I will define as the mean, not the median or mode) score around a 7.6. Most caucasians score around an 8.2 which is the highest of any single racial group. Most african americans score 5.9 which is the lowest of any single race.

http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/examineedata/sum2002.pdf