Dana Farber?

Started by FOLFOX6
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FOLFOX6

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a 4th year medical student (MD only) currently making my rank list and I've been very privileged with my options. I have a strong research background in heme/onc and am looking to go that route for fellowship (unsure about solids v liquids). I loved my very brief time at the DFCI when I was interviewing at BWH/MGH and my question is that are your options for academic positions in major cities significantly better than other similar tiered fellowships-- in other words if in 6 years I'm looking for an academic job in San Francisco will my connections, research opportunities at DFCI, or the name alone give be a better chance of landing the position than other fellowships. I only ask now because it seems like its basically impossible to land a fellowship position at DFCI coming from a non-Harvard hospital, so I feel as if I'm making that decision now. Thanks in advance for the help.
 
I only ask now because it seems like its basically impossible to land a fellowship position at DFCI coming from a non-Harvard hospital, so I feel as if I'm making that decision now

Not true. I don't know where you got that from. You clearly need to be coming from a very solid IM program to go to DFCI. I think DFCI has a reputation of taking many internal candidates but that all depends on how many apply every year ...etc My guess is that if you have solid hem/onc research background and you go to a top 20 IM program, you'll be taken seriously by DFCI when you apply for fellowship.