Dansko Clogs.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spikey

penn vet 2011
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know how on-topic you consider this, but I figured I'd ask: does anyone have a pair of them?

I know a lot of techs and dr's I work with have Dansko clogs, and swear by them. Should I invest? My feet hurt often, and I need a pair of "nice" shoes and they fit the bill. I know I'll have to go try 'em on, but just wondering if anyone has them.

ok. thanks :D

Members don't see this ad.

I love my Dansko clogs!!
If I could think of something negative about them (which is hard) I would say they are expensive, a little on the heavy side, and if you are working around alot of water/urine (cleaning runs for example) they don't hold up the very best.
Really though, I wear mine every single day and they will easily last for years. I would say for the best wear get the smooth leather ones rather than the softer oiled version (typically the same price but in my experience the oiled ones don't last as long and don't hold their shape as well).
While I don't have any really horrible back or joint problems, I definitely sometimes experience the sore and tired feeling that comes from being up and moving around all day long. When I wear my Dansko's this is much less of a problem.
Not only do I highly recommend them for practical reasons, but they will also make you look trendy and cool:)

I used to wear sneakers, and my feet would always hurt by the end of the day. I chalked it up to the fact that being on your feet for 6+ hours would make them ache, regardless. But my waitress friend recommended Danskos to me, and they are absolutely worth the investment. My feet never hurt anymore. I wear them everywhere now-- school, hospital, out-- I love them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like my danskos but I really love my Crocs. They are cheap and very comfortable but they are ugly.

I tried on Danskos and they just didn't fit right. I even bought them and wore them one day (in a bird hospital where it doesn't get too messy), and my feet hurt at the end of the day - so I returned them. I'm not about to buy expensive shoes and find out they hurt, and not get that money back.

Instead I wear Merrill Jungle Mocs. But they're difficult to find and the smooth leather ones are more expensive. I have overworn my current pair (I wear them everywhere, walking to the store etc.) and need to invest in another one.

I also swear by my danskos too, and I have a bad back and knees. The thing with them is that EVERY pair is made by hand and is different, therefore you may have to try on numerous pairs to get ones that fit just right. I just bought a new pair and I ended up trying on 15 pairs over 2 months before I found the right ones. They are also great if you'll be working with LAs because they are a bit sturdier than just sneakers which is good for the occassional arrant hoof.

I also love my crocks. They are ugly but SO comfortable and so cheap (comparatively - $30). And they come in lots of fun colors too!

birdvet2006 said:
I tried on Danskos and they just didn't fit right. I even bought them and wore them one day (in a bird hospital where it doesn't get too messy), and my feet hurt at the end of the day - so I returned them. I'm not about to buy expensive shoes and find out they hurt, and not get that money back.

Instead I wear Merrill Jungle Mocs. But they're difficult to find and the smooth leather ones are more expensive. I have overworn my current pair (I wear them everywhere, walking to the store etc.) and need to invest in another one.

Where do you find Danskos (besides ordering them online)? I hate how they look... but I guess if they're so much more comfortable I might get over it.

Also, what activities do you guys wear these for? Everything? Just classes? Clinical work?

Try upscale shoe stores around you like footstock if you have them. I have about 5 pairs of danskos and LOVE Them. if you are into shoes like me, they come in a ton of cool colors and prints. I have cow print ones, giraffe print ones as well as the traditional brown leather boring ones, and they are all really comfortable. One downside to them though is they make you really tall! I am already over six feet and the danskos add about 2-3 inches to your height because the bottoms have a huge heel.
eaglemeag said:
Where do you find Danskos (besides ordering them online)? I hate how they look... but I guess if they're so much more comfortable I might get over it.

Also, what activities do you guys wear these for? Everything? Just classes? Clinical work?

eaglemeag said:
I hate how they look... but I guess if they're so much more comfortable I might get over it.
What? You hate how they look? And here I thought I looked cool all this time :mad:. Hmmm. I guess I'll have to reconsider my fashion choices...
legs1011 said:
One downside to them though is they make you really tall! I am already over six feet and the danskos add about 2-3 inches to your height because the bottoms have a huge heel.
He, he, that is another reason I like mine so much. I suppose it would be really nice to be naturally tall (until I was almost 20 years old I was really convinced that I was going to grow those extra 5 inches). For the rest of us, yeah for Danskos!

wishes said:
And here I though I looked cool all this time
YOU might look cool but I still think the shoes are ugly. :p

I'm also never one to follow a trend... I HATE wearing "trendy" things. I even hate the fact that I've recently become a Podperson, but I love it too much to give it up. :laugh:

wishes said:
(until I was almost 20 years old I was really convinced that I was going to grow those extra 5 inches)

:laugh: Don't feel bad, so did I. But alas I am stuck at my 5'5''-ness.

eaglemeag said:
Where do you find Danskos (besides ordering them online)?

Alot of tack stores will carry Dansko clogs as they are very popular with horsey people.

I personally would wear my Land's End mocs over Danskos any day... I've yet to find a pair of Danskos I like.

thanks guys. i really want a pair, they do look cool! i think so, wishes. i want the grey colored felt ones. hopefully i'll get to go try some on soon (and that they fit). :]

the people i work with wear them all day at the hospital and everywhere they go. they love them.

I've been wearing Danskos every day to school and work, around town, out hiking, and pretty much everywhere for about seven years now. While I condiser myself a Dansko fanatic, beware that the classic "stapled clog" style doesn't offer much cushioning. So when I'm standing in one place a long time (like several hours of surgery) or walking truly a couple miles each day for several days in a row (like a scientific conference), I find that my feet get really sore - not sore in the joints or tendons, but sore on the pads of my heels and balls of my feet just from standing on a hard surface. I've switched back to wearing sneakers in those cases - a good pair of running shoes with good arch support, not just any old sneakers. I haven't tried Crocs yet.

http://www.shoedawg.com seems to get a lot of Dansko's closeout stock (old styles and whatnot) and sell it off at a pretty good discount.

At 5'2" I *love* the extra height of the Danskos, though!

The fit issue is all personal, though. I'm exactly the opposite of birdvet, in that the Danskos fit great and I just can't find a Merrell shoe anywhere that doesn't pinch my toes. Be aware that there are other brands of stapled clogs (Ecco, for instance) so if you're totally hooked on the style but don't like the Dansko fit you can expand your horizon a little.

You can also get clogs (usually less expensive even) at chef supply stores, both brick and mortar, and online (try shoesforcrews.com). If you know any cheffy-types (they tend to congregate in places with cheap beer during the hours restaurants don't run) you can ask them for other suggestions. They generally can tell you which ones are *really* not gonna slip, or are actually comfy after 12 or 14 hours on your feet in one spot, or tear apart in 2 weeks. They also tend to know where to get them for the least dollars.

My 2 cents on footwear...

I swear by Blundstones. They're clogish with more protection. You really can stand in them all day and not have your feet hurt...I think if you're someone who is going to be stopping by the large animal hospital periodically as I am they're great b/c they're soild enough that they'll protect your feet and durable enough that if you step in poo and urine they and your feet will stay clean/dry.
I have the TPU 490. The link to the only US online distributor is http://www.sugarriveroutfitters.com/asp/branded.asp?wgi=1
I've heard a lot of horror stories about trying to by them through other distributors out of Austrialia....

For all day large animal stuff I recommend buying a good pair of duck boots. They're more pricey but if you buy them from LL Bean and they fall apart in 10 years they'll replace them no questions asked. A lot of large animal people swear by construction type work boots but I think the ducks are a lot more versatile.

I used to have wicked back and foot pain from standing and walking all day. A coworker recommended gel insoles and I pooh-poohed the idea. Eventually, I dropped the $10 on a pair of Dr. Scholl's "Sport" insoles to put in my Nike sneakers and the difference is AMAZING! I went out and bought pairs for the rest of my shoes. They work just as well as expensive shoes and they only cost a few bucks.

Brighton said:
I used to have wicked back and foot pain from standing and walking all day. A coworker recommended gel insoles and I pooh-poohed the idea. Eventually, I dropped the $10 on a pair of Dr. Scholl's "Sport" insoles to put in my Nike sneakers and the difference is AMAZING! I went out and bought pairs for the rest of my shoes. They work just as well as expensive shoes and they only cost a few bucks.

Did you get the cushiony ones, or the ones that help re-align your feet?

I recently tried some cushiony ones for my athletic shoes to help with joint uncomfyness when I run... they help some but don't really solve the problem. I was wondering if I'd have better luck with the kind that re-align.

I have Modelista's because they were cushier than the Dansko's...though they look the same.

I've had bad feet all my life and recently had sx on one...and so far I love my new shoes. I've had them about 6 months now and am considering getting a second pair....at $130 and being an intern I'm still in the considering phase.

eaglemeag said:
Did you get the cushiony ones, or the ones that help re-align your feet?

I recently tried some cushiony ones for my athletic shoes to help with joint uncomfyness when I run... they help some but don't really solve the problem. I was wondering if I'd have better luck with the kind that re-align.

Mine have arch support. I also wear Nike running shoes that correct the position of my foot- I tend to walk on the outside of my feet and they fix that.

Brighton said:
Mine have arch support. I also wear Nike running shoes that correct the position of my foot- I tend to walk on the outside of my feet and they fix that.

Hmm. I do the same. (I've always wondered if it's the reason for running discomfort and/or the disproportionate largeness of my inner thighs :laugh: .) I will see if I can find some. Thanks for the suggestions!

MicheleVet said:
I have Modelista's because they were cushier than the Dansko's...though they look the same.

I've had bad feet all my life and recently had sx on one...and so far I love my new shoes. I've had them about 6 months now and am considering getting a second pair....at $130 and being an intern I'm still in the considering phase.

they do look a lot alike! i'll have to look into those as well, thanks :)

i have a pair of rubber birkenstock clogs which are really comfy--and also, waterproof! but the single best thing i've found for achy feet and legs are support socks...i know, they're really dorky and old-maidish, but i promise that despite how ugly they are, they really help (and reduce the risk of even uglier, permanent, varicose veins).