Dartmouth Anyone??

Started by Rzarecta
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
PookieGirl said:
Anyway, let's say I did get in. Would I be able to take out more loans? That budget did seem awfully low.
first of all, like the ever-helpful and super-awesome-dude DMBUGA34 pointed out, you can meet with the DMS fin aid people at the beginning of the school year to alter your loans package and take out the full federal limit in stafford loans (which is $8,500 per year subsidized, and $30,000 per year unsubsidized; contingent on how much federal loan money you borrowed as an undergrad).

beyond that, its all a question of "how much debt am i willing to take on?" private lenders are more than happy to loan money to a soon-to-be doctor. you'd have to shop around for decent loan terms, of course, but the fact is that as a medical student, you can take out as much loan money as you think you will need. it just depends on how much you'd like to pay back. 😉
 
how does grading work during the first two years?

and what is the class size? 80?
 
DMBUGA34 said:
It's just like undergrad. I have never experienced block scheduling, so I can't make a fair comparison. I do like that our class schedule every day is different, so that the week doesn't get boring. I also don't think I'd be able to handle a few weeks composed entirely of Anatomy, or Biochem....

I'd like to know from any Dartmouth students if there's anything you wished you had known before coming to DMS? Did anything catch you by surprise?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
rme04 said:
how does grading work during the first two years?

and what is the class size? 80?
if memory serves me correctly, i think the grading system is honors/pass/fail.

the first year class usually has ~85 students, but about 20 of them ship off to brown after 2nd year. so the typical DMS graduating class is usually 60-65.

DMBUGA34 will correct me if i'm wrong. (and god knows it happens...)
 
superdevil said:
if memory serves me correctly, i think the grading system is honors/pass/fail.

the first year class usually has ~85 students, but about 20 of them ship off to brown after 2nd year. so the typical DMS graduating class is usually 60-65.

DMBUGA34 will correct me if i'm wrong. (and god knows it happens...)

You're right for the most part.

Grading system is H/P/F but the cutoffs are set at 90% for H and 70 or 65 for P. They can't be raised but they can be lowered. The systems allows the possibility that everyone honors so that you're not competing with your classmates to honor. Also most people don't seem to care terribly much about the H because as we all know P=MD

As for the class size, starts with 85, 15 go to Brown, leaving 70 at DMS. On top of that in recent years a lot of people have been splitting their 4th year for a variety of reasons so the typical graduating class as you can see from the match result is closer to 60 people.
 
On the subject of housing. There is affordable housing to be had here. Just don't expect the first place you look at to be the perfect house/appartment.

Also if any of you that are comming up to Dartmouth earlier and are looking for housing, I'll be subletting my place from mid june till the end of july. PM me for more info.
 
Seems like a few people withdrew from Dartmouth on May 15th (at least on sdn). Has anyone heard about any movement on the waitlist? 🙂
 
KiKat37 said:
Seems like a few people withdrew from Dartmouth on May 15th (at least on sdn). Has anyone heard about any movement on the waitlist? 🙂

Nada. And it's killing me. I got one missed call on my cell phone too but there was no number with that notification. Either way, I think they'd leave a message, right? Grrr. Are you hoping to get off the wait list too? I really wish we had some indication as to our chances.
 
PookieGirl said:
Nada. And it's killing me. I got one missed call on my cell phone too but there was no number with that notification. Either way, I think they'd leave a message, right? Grrr. Are you hoping to get off the wait list too? I really wish we had some indication as to our chances.

Don't worry. I'm sure people from the admissions office leave messages if they are really trying to contact and accept people off the waitlist. Plus, you can always call them tomorrow if you are really worried. It won't hurt you, and it will show interest. 🙂

Don't lose hope yet! I think 3 people on sdn withdrew and I know someone at my school who also withdrew. We should see some movement soon. But, I agree with you, it would be nice to have a ranked list and know where we stand!

I have very mixed feelings about DMS. I really liked the school at the eginning of this cycle. But, I had a wierd interview (I felt like I flew all the way to NH for nothing because my interviews didn't ask me any questions) and I hated the fact that they made me wait forever before waitlisting me. This being said, it's still a great school. Small class size, good curriculum, big name, impressive match list, etc. So, I decided to stay on the waitlist and see what happens. If I don't get in, I'll be ok because I'm accepted at another school I really like. If I do get in, I'll seriously consider attending.

I'm crossing my fingers for you, because I know you *really* want to go there. Gluck!!
 
KiKat37 said:
Don't worry. I'm sure people from the admissions office leave messages if they are really trying to contact and accept people off the waitlist. Plus, you can always call them tomorrow if you are really worried. It won't hurt you, and it will show interest. 🙂

Don't lose hope yet! I think 3 people on sdn withdrew and I know someone at my school who also withdrew. We should see some movement soon. But, I agree with you, it would be nice to have a ranked list and know where we stand!

I have very mixed feelings about DMS. I really liked the school at the eginning of this cycle. But, I had a wierd interview (I felt like I flew all the way to NH for nothing because my interviews didn't ask me any questions) and I hated the fact that they made me wait forever before waitlisting me. This being said, it's still a great school. Small class size, good curriculum, big name, impressive match list, etc. So, I decided to stay on the waitlist and see what happens. If I don't get in, I'll be ok because I'm accepted at another school I really like. If I do get in, I'll seriously consider attending.

I'm crossing my fingers for you, because I know you *really* want to go there. Gluck!!

Yes, I'm sure the admissions office does leave messages. I'm hoping that because the 15th fell on a weekend that it might take the admissions group a little more time to figure out how many spots they need to fill. Anyway, you're right, a call is in order, even though I hate being one of those pestering people. Maybe the admissions office will give me some info, like the number of waitlist spots given out over time. Just a rough idea using past year's data would help me mentally, so I can say to myself that if I don't hear by such and such date, then I can focus on the school that I'm in at now.

Not knowing is taking a huge mental toll on me. I'm really excited to be returning to school after 5 years off but in wanting to dive into my next journey, I want to know where that journey will take place. Plus I want to know whether I'll need a car, when to look for apartments, and biggest of all, how to mentally prepare myself for a long distance relationship if I don't get into Dartmouth.

I too had a strange interview at Dartmouth. It was my second worst interview, and I've debated passing that info along to the director of admissions so he can know that my interviewer didn't see my best side. I was late in getting to the interview (not my fault-- tour guide was confused on where shuttle picked up). This got me so flustered, and I felt like my interviewer thought I didn't belong there from the moment I walked in the door and I don't think he really took me seriously. Not sure why else but I felt totally unconfident in that interview and he didn't see my best side.

Well, here's hoping that we all get that good news sooner rather than later.
 
DMBUGA34 said:
I don't know anything about that

I have a question about roads and transportation in the winter. Do the highways shut down periodically after bad snowstorms? Are snow tires recommended in the winter? How much snow is there in the winter months?
 
cozmopak said:
I have a question about roads and transportation in the winter. Do the highways shut down periodically after bad snowstorms? Are snow tires recommended in the winter? How much snow is there in the winter months?

One more question: Is there a bus that runs from Dartmouth to Boston and back?
 
There is a bus that runs from Hanover to Boston, and back. It is Vermont Transit I believe. Although I didn't live in Hanover, I did live in Vermont and roads there were never shut down after snowstorms. I don't believe they are in Hanover either, atleast not the major highways-- like 89.
 
cozmopak said:
One more question: Is there a bus that runs from Dartmouth to Boston and back?

There are 2 busses that run to Boston and back. Dartmouth Coach and Vermont Transit. The Dartmouth coach is more expensive (55 round trip) but they show a movie and take less time. Vermont Transit stops in Manchester on the way down. There are also students going to Boston every weekend so it shouldn't be too hard to get a ride.

This was my first Winter at a place where it snows and it wasn't that bad. Boston got more snow than we did. Snow tires are recommended, although all weather tires work too. You just have to be careful and drive slowly if you're in the middle of a storm, otherwise, the roads have been taken care of. The towns around here are really good about making sure the roads are in good shape throughout the Winter.
 
PookieGirl said:
Yes, I'm sure the admissions office does leave messages. I'm hoping that because the 15th fell on a weekend that it might take the admissions group a little more time to figure out how many spots they need to fill. Anyway, you're right, a call is in order, even though I hate being one of those pestering people. Maybe the admissions office will give me some info, like the number of waitlist spots given out over time. Just a rough idea using past year's data would help me mentally, so I can say to myself that if I don't hear by such and such date, then I can focus on the school that I'm in at now.

Not knowing is taking a huge mental toll on me. I'm really excited to be returning to school after 5 years off but in wanting to dive into my next journey, I want to know where that journey will take place. Plus I want to know whether I'll need a car, when to look for apartments, and biggest of all, how to mentally prepare myself for a long distance relationship if I don't get into Dartmouth.

I too had a strange interview at Dartmouth. It was my second worst interview, and I've debated passing that info along to the director of admissions so he can know that my interviewer didn't see my best side. I was late in getting to the interview (not my fault-- tour guide was confused on where shuttle picked up). This got me so flustered, and I felt like my interviewer thought I didn't belong there from the moment I walked in the door and I don't think he really took me seriously. Not sure why else but I felt totally unconfident in that interview and he didn't see my best side.

Well, here's hoping that we all get that good news sooner rather than later.

Well, I could be wrong, but I don't think it would do you any good to tell the director of admissions about your interview at this point in the process. He would wonder why you didn't mention it before and whether you are making it up now. But, maybe you could write a letter of intent (if you haven't done that yet) and ask to meet with him. I have heard of some people doing that in past years and actually being successful. I guess it's worth a shot, especially if you are in the area. 🙂

That's funny you mentioned the long distance relationship. I'll only have to worry about if I do get into Dartmouth... so far from home... :scared:

Here is hoping anyway... :luck:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
KiKat37 said:
Well, I could be wrong, but I don't think it would do you any good to tell the director of admissions about your interview at this point in the process. He would wonder why you didn't mention it before and whether you are making it up now. But, maybe you could write a letter of intent (if you haven't done that yet) and ask to meet with him. I have heard of some people doing that in past years and actually being successful. I guess it's worth a shot, especially if you are in the area. 🙂

That's funny you mentioned the long distance relationship. I'll only have to worry about if I do get into Dartmouth... so far from home... :scared:

Here is hoping anyway... :luck:

I didn't mention my less-than-optimal before because I've been reluctant all along. Why point out the negative, right? But now I'm desperate. And after learning that they're admitting off the waitlist this morning, I feel very deflated and pessimistic.

As for the long distance relationship, being far away could strengthen my relationship in some ways, or the distance could do us in and I'm scared about that prospect.

Anyway, I saw you on the UVM thread too. Are you hoping to get in there too? I went there for undergrad and loved it.
 
PookieGirl said:
after learning that they're admitting off the waitlist this morning

Did you call the Admissions Office to learn this information? Can you share any more detail? I haven't seen anyone post on SDN yet.

I definitely hear what you're saying regarding the uncertainty taking a great toll on one's wellbeing. The insanity that this process fuels is unreal. Hang in there.
 
PookieGirl said:
I didn't mention my less-than-optimal before because I've been reluctant all along. Why point out the negative, right? But now I'm desperate. And after learning that they're admitting off the waitlist this morning, I feel very deflated and pessimistic.

As for the long distance relationship, being far away could strengthen my relationship in some ways, or the distance could do us in and I'm scared about that prospect.

Anyway, I saw you on the UVM thread too. Are you hoping to get in there too? I went there for undergrad and loved it.


Wait, I don't get it. They are admitting off the waitlist! Isn't that supposed to be a good thing for us? Am I missing soemthing? I'm sure they send acceptances via snail mail (like they always did with everything else). So, there could be a letter on its way to your house now... right?

I don't know what I'm doing with UVM... I'm so confused right now... I really liked the school and had a wondeful time there when I visited for my interview. But, it's so far from home and so expensive that I can't really justify it. I will probably drop it soon. I just have a hard letting it go because I got a very good gut feeling about it. 😳
 
KiKat37 said:
Wait, I don't get it. They are admitting off the waitlist! Isn't that supposed to be a good thing for us? Am I missing soemthing? I'm sure they send acceptances via snail mail (like they always did with everything else). So, there could be a letter on its way to your house now... right?

I don't know what I'm doing with UVM... I'm so confused right now... I really liked the school and had a wondeful time there when I visited for my interview. But, it's so far from home and so expensive that I can't really justify it. I will probably drop it soon. I just have a hard letting it go because I got a very good gut feeling about it. 😳

According to a former coworker, who is there at Dartmouth right now, she got a phone call last year. I assume they're doing it that way. I've just switched to defense mode-- expect nothing and I won't be disappointed. Versus being optimistic and being let down in the end.

As for UVM, people tell me the med school is great. I have 2 friends that went there and my roommate's dad is a professor, as is an undergrad prof of mine. I think it's a lot like Dartmouth in that you can get one on one attention from profs if you need it, even though UVM's class size is bigger. If you have a good gut feeling, hang on to it. And if you need to ask questions from students, I could put you in touch with my friends who went to the med school, one of whom is graduating this year.
 
You're probably right. I should switch to defense mode as well. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. This way it won't hurt too much if I'm disappointed... 🙁

Do you know how long they give people to decide after they call them? 24 hours? a couple of days? And, do you get to see your financial package before you make a decision? This whole waitlist thing is soo frustrating!!

Thanks for the info about UVM. Maybe I'll just stay on the waitlist for now and see what happens. Burlington was such a lovely place! 😍
 
KiKat37 said:
You're probably right. I should switch to defense mode as well. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. This way it won't hurt too much if I'm disappointed... 🙁

Do you know how long they give people to decide after they call them? 24 hours? a couple of days? And, do you get to see your financial package before you make a decision? This whole waitlist thing is soo frustrating!!

Thanks for the info about UVM. Maybe I'll just stay on the waitlist for now and see what happens. Burlington was such a lovely place! 😍

Yeah, the waitlist thing stinks. From what my friend said (the one accepted off the waitlist last year), you get a phone call and then you get a letter outlining your financial aid within a week. She said you don't have to give a definite yes or no until you see the aid.

I just noticed you're from Philly. VT and NH aren't THAT far away! VT is probably easier to fly in and out of than Hanover. The latter you probably have to fly out of either Manchester or Burlington to get back to Philly by plane. Just thought I'd point that out.

Good luck :luck:
 
Pookiegirl, please try to relax about this, I'm getting nervous just reading your posts. Anyway, how do you know that Dartmouth is accepting off of the waitlist today? I was told not to expect anything before June 1.

Also, I appreciate that you want to attend Dartmouth badly, but when you say you're desperate, keep in mind that there are other people who haven't gotten accepted to any schools yet and are depending solely on this waitlist. I would say they are more desperate than you since you already have an acceptance.
 
PookieGirl said:
Yeah, the waitlist thing stinks. From what my friend said (the one accepted off the waitlist last year), you get a phone call and then you get a letter outlining your financial aid within a week. She said you don't have to give a definite yes or no until you see the aid.

I just noticed you're from Philly. VT and NH aren't THAT far away! VT is probably easier to fly in and out of than Hanover. The latter you probably have to fly out of either Manchester or Burlington to get back to Philly by plane. Just thought I'd point that out.

Good luck :luck:


LOL :laugh: That's true, but I'm not from Philadelphia. I currently live here because I'm going to grad school here, but I'm from the South. My family lives in VA and that's what I'm talking about when I say "home". That's far!

But, you are right, the flight itself is not too bad. The only thing is that it's expensive to fly to Burlington directly and you can't fly to Hanover directly (I think 😕 ). And, it sucks to take the Vermont Transit bus to go from Manchester to Hanover or Burlington. But, it's definitely feasible... 😉
 
tupelodoc said:
Pookiegirl, please try to relax about this, I'm getting nervous just reading your posts. Anyway, how do you know that Dartmouth is accepting off of the waitlist today? I was told not to expect anything before June 1.

Also, I appreciate that you want to attend Dartmouth badly, but when you say you're desperate, keep in mind that there are other people who haven't gotten accepted to any schools yet and are depending solely on this waitlist. I would say they are more desperate than you since you already have an acceptance.


If you take the time to read the previous posts, you will know how she got the info. You will also understand that she has personal reasons for wanting to attend DMS and not another school (even though she may be accepted to another school). If her posts stress you out, don't read them.
 
tupelodoc said:
Pookiegirl, please try to relax about this, I'm getting nervous just reading your posts. Anyway, how do you know that Dartmouth is accepting off of the waitlist today? I was told not to expect anything before June 1.

Also, I appreciate that you want to attend Dartmouth badly, but when you say you're desperate, keep in mind that there are other people who haven't gotten accepted to any schools yet and are depending solely on this waitlist. I would say they are more desperate than you since you already have an acceptance.

I am thankful that I have something to fall back on but that fall back is an 8 hour drive (and several expensive plane trips) from my significant other and many friends and family. Although I feel bad that there are some people that have no acceptances, that does not mean I need to give up my waitlist spot when my first choice is Dartmouth.
 
Ok, so I finally got through and talked to the director of admissions. He basically told me what we already knew: they have accepted "a number of people" this week; he does not know how many more they can take; it can happen anywhere between now and August; they first call a person and then send a letter via snail mail; for now, people are given two weeks to decide but as we get closer to August, it will go down to 1 week and eventually a couple of days; can't tell us where we stand because waitlist is nor ranked.

I'm not sure why, but it seems a little depressing... 🙁
 
KiKat37 said:
If you take the time to read the previous posts, you will know how she got the info. You will also understand that she has personal reasons for wanting to attend DMS and not another school (even though she may be accepted to another school). If her posts stress you out, don't read them.


I'm not sure why you're getting so defensive on her behalf, I don't believe I said anything incendiary. However, if YOU take the time to read the posts carefully, you will see that she doesn't address specifically where she heard Dartmouth was going to the waitlist THIS morning. Furthermore, if you read MY post carefully you would see that I do not take issue with the fact that she feels desperate or that she may have personal reasons, I simply ask her to be more conscious of her words. I realize that it is my opinion only, but I still feel that there are other people who are in a more desperate position (those with no acceptances and who likely have many personal reasons for wanting to attend Dartmouth). In fact, I stated that I appreciate her wanting to attend Dartmouth badly. Again, to be clear, I do not have a problem with a person holding multiple acceptances or even wanting to get into their school of choice, I had a problem with her use of desperate. I would encourage her to relax and trust in herself.
 
KiKat37 said:
Ok, so I finally got through and talked to the director of admissions. He basically told me what we already knew: they have accepted "a number of people" this week; he does not know how many more they can take; it can happen anywhere between now and August; they first call a person and then send a letter via snail mail; for now, people are given two weeks to decide but as we get closer to August, it will go down to 1 week and eventually a couple of days; can't tell us where we stand because waitlist is nor ranked.

I'm not sure why, but it seems a little depressing... 🙁


What does "accepted a number of people this week" mean? A number of people off of the waitlist, a number of people that were already accepted and declared Dartmouth as their school? Could you clarify for us? The reason I ask is because I spoke to Andy last week and he told me that he would not know what the class would look like until late May/early June.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
mdsadler said:
did you get in off the waitlist?

congrats!!


No, I think I remember her/him being accepted post-interview... Congrats, rme04!!! The Dartmouth/Brown program is awesome! 🙂
 
KiKat37 said:
No, I think I remember her/him being accepted post-interview... Congrats, rme04!!! The Dartmouth/Brown program is awesome! 🙂

oh ok. thanks kikat. just my waitlist paranoia and nervousness. good luck!
 
Well I am going there for Fall 05. I got in post interview so I don't know about the waitlist people. Goodluck to you people who are on the waitlist.
 
mdsadler said:
oh ok. thanks kikat. just my waitlist paranoia and nervousness. good luck!

Lol... We are all a little edgy right now... 🙂

Are you waiting on DMS or DMS/Brown? I originally picked Dartmouth (one of my interviews was with the director of admissions at Brown and it didn't go too well - so, I thought I had killed my chances for the combined program). But, I really like the DMS/Brown program better... When I got the postcard with my waitlist letter, I told them I wanted to be considered for both programs. Do you guys know which program, if any, has more movement?

Anyway. Gluck everyone! :luck:
 
KiKat37 said:
Lol... We are all a little edgy right now... 🙂

Are you waiting on DMS or DMS/Brown? I originally picked Dartmouth (one of my interviews was with the director of admissions at Brown and it didn't go too well - so, I thought I had killed my chances for the combined program). But, I really like the DMS/Brown program better... When I got the postcard with my waitlist letter, I told them I wanted to be considered for both programs. Do you guys know which program, if any, has more movement?

Anyway. Gluck everyone! :luck:

I am waiting for DMS. I think both programs are strong but I think I would rather "stay" in one spot for my four years rather than set up only to move again (by "stay" I am referring to the fact that with 3rd and 4th year you really wouldn't be staying at Dartmouth anyway but I still like the idea of coming back to the same place/people). I was also under the impression that funding for international (Canadian) students through the DMS/Brown program is non-existent so I decided against it in hopes of better financial aid if I was accepted to DMS. Good luck KiKat and everyone else!
 
Arrgghh... I just did a search and found a thread from last year called "Dartmouth waitlist." I wanted to copy/paste it here, but I'm computer challenged and it didn't work.

Anyway. It seemed like there was very little movement last year. And, there were still 100 people (!!) on the waitlist in mid-July. I couldn't believe they had so many people left on the waitlist! I mean, did they not tell us that the waitlist was very selective and small? And, how big is the class?? Isn't it close to 80, including the DMS/BMS and MD/PhD people? 😱 :scared:

mdsadler: I hear you. I was also considered International when I started this process, and I was very worried about the financial situation. Luckily, I got my greencard a few months ago. Gluck to you, too. I hope everything works out. :luck:
 
KiKat37 said:
Arrgghh... I just did a search and found a thread from last year called "Dartmouth waitlist." I wanted to copy/paste it here, but I'm computer challenged and it didn't work.

Anyway. It seemed like there was very little movement last year. And, there were still 100 people (!!) on the waitlist in mid-July. I couldn't believe they had so many people left on the waitlist! I mean, did they not tell us that the waitlist was very selective and small? And, how big is the class?? Isn't it close to 80, including the DMS/BMS and MD/PhD people? 😱 :scared:

mdsadler: I hear you. I was also considered International when I started this process, and I was very worried about the financial situation. Luckily, I got my greencard a few months ago. Gluck to you, too. I hope everything works out. :luck:

I wonder if part of the reason you see no movement on the Dartmouth waitlist HERE on SDN is because not a lot of people who are hoping to get in there use this website. Just an idea. Anyway, in talking with an admissions person there a few weeks back, I was told that it's not unusual for them to pull "a few dozen" from the waitlist.
 
KiKat37 said:
Ok, so I finally got through and talked to the director of admissions. He basically told me what we already knew: they have accepted "a number of people" this week; he does not know how many more they can take; it can happen anywhere between now and August; they first call a person and then send a letter via snail mail; for now, people are given two weeks to decide but as we get closer to August, it will go down to 1 week and eventually a couple of days; can't tell us where we stand because waitlist is nor ranked.

I'm not sure why, but it seems a little depressing... 🙁

I think when I get back from my little trip to Maui I"m going to inquire how they keep an unranked list, and how many they have on this year's waitlist. Every time my phone rings I can't help but fantasize its someone from Dartmouth. It's excruciating. I hope those buggers who get offers don't take their full 2 weeks to figure it out. I'm really surprised DMS gives them that long to decide. IMO, if you have the financial aid info, you should be able to make a decision in a week, family or no family.
 
PookieGirl said:
I think when I get back from my little trip to Maui I"m going to inquire how they keep an unranked list, and how many they have on this year's waitlist. Every time my phone rings I can't help but fantasize its someone from Dartmouth. It's excruciating. I hope those buggers who get offers don't take their full 2 weeks to figure it out. I'm really surprised DMS gives them that long to decide. IMO, if you have the financial aid info, you should be able to make a decision in a week, family or no family.


Relax, Pookie. I know it's hard and stressful, but there is really nothing we can do at this point. I personally feel like it's pointless to call the school and ask for an update on my status because the list is unranked. So, they can't even tell me where I am on the list or whether I have moved up a little. They also refuse to say how many people are on the list and how many exactly got off after May 15th. So, there is really just no way to know if I even have a small shot at getting in. This is complete b.s. and I have resolved not to worry about it anymore - especially since I'm lucky enough to be in somewhere else.

Maybe you should try to do the same. Just think that you'll be fine either way... And, try to enjoy your trip! 🙂

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :luck:
 
I know for sure that there's been waitlist movement because I got a phone call last week. I wasn't here to get it though, I've just returned from the Philippines. They also sent a letter. This is my first acceptance (and Dartmouth is my first choice) so I'm 100% going to matriculate. Best of luck to all the rest of you waiting. BTW, I interviewed early, sent in about 3 update letters, a letter of intent, and another reminder e-mail on May 15th. The squeeky wheel gets the grease?
 
djohnston said:
I know for sure that there's been waitlist movement because I got a phone call last week. I wasn't here to get it though, I've just returned from the Philippines. They also sent a letter. This is my first acceptance (and Dartmouth is my first choice) so I'm 100% going to matriculate. Best of luck to all the rest of you waiting. BTW, I interviewed early, sent in about 3 update letters, a letter of intent, and another reminder e-mail on May 15th. The squeeky wheel gets the grease?

Congratulations!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: That's awesome! And, I'm very jaleous! 😉
 
djohnston said:
I know for sure that there's been waitlist movement because I got a phone call last week. I wasn't here to get it though, I've just returned from the Philippines. They also sent a letter. This is my first acceptance (and Dartmouth is my first choice) so I'm 100% going to matriculate. Best of luck to all the rest of you waiting. BTW, I interviewed early, sent in about 3 update letters, a letter of intent, and another reminder e-mail on May 15th. The squeeky wheel gets the grease?


Congratulation, I will see you in the Fall. Now you should go find housing. Also, one question. Why is Dartmouth your first choice?
 
Dartmouth has long been my first choice: It has relatively small class size, rural surroundings, good reputation, nice hospital, and it's on the other side of the country from where I am. It's also not too far from Boston- which I really like- and there's lots of outdoorsy stuff to do. Snow and cold doesn't bother me and having ski resorts close is a plus (even though the snow I've heard doesn't compare to the nice dry powder here in Utah). I think New England in general has nice charm- and there are still mountains (albeit small ones) around so I don't feel lost. There's lots of little reasons, but mostly I had a good gut feeling about the place.
 
In off the waitlist yesterday!! Accepted to the Brown Dartmouth Program (my 1st choice since I am from RI)!! Good luck to everyone else.. also, does anyone know what I should do about housing?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
swmd said:
In off the waitlist yesterday!! Accepted to the Brown Dartmouth Program (my 1st choice since I am from RI)!! Good luck to everyone else.. also, does anyone know what I should do about housing?


Congrats, swmd! 👍 👍 Dartmouth/Brown?? I'm even more jaleous now! 🙂 Did you get a call or a letter?

As far as housing is concerned, you should check some of the old posts on this thread. I remember it was discussed a while back.
 
swmd said:
In off the waitlist yesterday!! Accepted to the Brown Dartmouth Program (my 1st choice since I am from RI)!! Good luck to everyone else.. also, does anyone know what I should do about housing?

Congrats! I'll be seeing you in the Fall! I'm wondering about housing, too. I'm in Europe now, so I fear that it might be difficult for me to find a house with roommates, which is my ideal living arrangement. Let me know what you find out!
 
cozmopak said:
Congrats! I'll be seeing you in the Fall! I'm wondering about housing, too. I'm in Europe now, so I fear that it might be difficult for me to find a house with roommates, which is my ideal living arrangement. Let me know what you find out!


Cozmopak you seem very undecisive about your decision. What made you pick Dartmouth in the end over Chicago, Pitt, and Sinai?
 
xadmin said:
Cozmopak you seem very undecisive about your decision. What made you pick Dartmouth in the end over Chicago, Pitt, and Sinai?

Excluding Pitt, I knew I'd be happy at Chicago, Sinai and Dartmouth. I've lived in a big city (Chicago) for my entire life. I wanted to try something different for four years and live in the country. Also, I just got the best gut feeling from Dartmouth. The students there were ALL incredibly happy, and I felt as though I could fit in.
 
Make sure you guys let the admissions office know that you're looking for roommates, they might be able to give your name out to other med students looking people to share their places with.

Congrats to those of you who have recently been accepted. I'll probably be involved with orientation, so I'll see you then

Goodluck to those still waiting!