Dartmouth Impressions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bkflaneur

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to hear of people's impressions from visiting/interviewing at Dartmouth. I just received an interview invite and am not sure if I can go. I've been accepted at my state school (colorado) and the interview travel budget was maxed out long ago. I'd like to see Dartmouth, but my gut instinct is that the location is too rural for me. Still, the school sounds good from all I've heard. Any impressions?

Members don't see this ad.

it is rural, scenic though. but i was fresh off an interview at columbia and the contrast could not have been more. the lighting was scant at night, it was really dark and desolate. im not accustomed to cold either and winters are long and chilly there. school has an ivy league feel, its right by the undergrad. the hospitals far though and you have to drive or shuttle. they say a car is a must. i imagine winter driving would be hard, but again im not used to that. im a little concerned about the fun factor: i asked about fun and was expecting to hear about bars and clubs, nightlife type of things, but most people talked about outdoor activities like hiking, running, boating, ice skating, skiing...thats fun and all too but i like to have a place with nightlife. bostons a few hours away, cant be visited regularly.

im interested in md/mba and their business school is superb, ill go if i get in as its in my top 5 and im anxiously awaiting a letter

Shredder said:
im interested in md/mba and their business school is superb, ill go if i get in as its in my top 5 and im anxiously awaiting a letter

Superb indeed. The year I applied to MBA school Tuck was ranked #1 in the whole wide world. Best of luck, Shredder.

To the OP: Don't go to the interview. Dartmouth SUX. Leave your spot to me. :) Kidding...

Members don't see this ad :)
my student tour guide told us not to ask the (student) interviewer about fun things to do in the area, because to them this sets off an alarm that you will be bored if you go there. i kind of felt like this was a red flag!

otherwise, awesome school, beautiful location. i think this would be ideal for someone older or married and trying to raise a family or something during med school.

to those who had an interview,
I have an interview scheduled in three days!!! and its my first interview ever. i'm having mixed feeling of nervousness and ... nervousness.
So is the interview one faculty and one student? how exactly was the interview structured? is there a time to ask them question? what was unique about DMS?
sorry about Qs and Qs..
i'd greatly appreciate feedbacks, any!
bachi

Some people had one faculty and one student, I had two MDs. Both of my interviews were very relaxed and I really got the feeling that they were just trying to see what type of person I was and if I'd fit in well with the class. The first interviewer didn't look at my file at all, so it was a "tell me about yourself" interview, the second one was open file, but both were low stress. It was my second interview, but I was still really nervous. Don't worry though, you'll see once you get there that you'll be surround with a number of quality people that will put you at ease. Hanover is beautiful and very rural, but it's a great school and if you can get over the lack of city and non-white patients, then you'll probably love it!

I thought the school was amazing. I stayed with some students and even though they had a final the morning of my interview, they still spent over an hour talking to me about the school, their class, and the faculty. My hosts had nothing but great things to say about the faculty and administrators and they gave me the impression that Dartmouth bends over backwards in order to make sure that the students do well. They said it wasn't uncommon for classmates to spend a couple hours typing up notes and then e-mail them to the rest of the class (go P/F) and that a few times the faculty set up mock practicals and mock exams in order to get ready for the real deal. I'd keep blabbering but it's time to study for some finals. Good luck with the interview! I loved everything about the school, hopefully you will too!

godawgs39 said:
Some people had one faculty and one student, I had two MDs. Both of my interviews were very relaxed and I really got the feeling that they were just trying to see what type of person I was and if I'd fit in well with the class. The first interviewer didn't look at my file at all, so it was a "tell me about yourself" interview, the second one was open file, but both were low stress. It was my second interview, but I was still really nervous. Don't worry though, you'll see once you get there that you'll be surround with a number of quality people that will put you at ease. Hanover is beautiful and very rural, but it's a great school and if you can get over the lack of city and non-white patients, then you'll probably love it!

I thought the school was amazing. I stayed with some students and even though they had a final the morning of my interview, they still spent over an hour talking to me about the school, their class, and the faculty. My hosts had nothing but great things to say about the faculty and administrators and they gave me the impression that Dartmouth bends over backwards in order to make sure that the students do well. They said it wasn't uncommon for classmates to spend a couple hours typing up notes and then e-mail them to the rest of the class (go P/F) and that a few times the faculty set up mock practicals and mock exams in order to get ready for the real deal. I'd keep blabbering but it's time to study for some finals. Good luck with the interview! I loved everything about the school, hopefully you will too!
i had a phd and an md. my phd was the most laid back interview ive had out of all schools, it really did seem to be a chat unlike most interviewers who say it will be a chat but its really not. which brings me to my 2nd interviewer who did just that, and i really felt like i got grilled throughout. it was pretty unpleasant, she was a psych so maybe she does that sort of thing regularly. i hope she doesnt screw up my admission, im not good with female interviewers.

the area is definitely all white but i dont have any problem with that, and im not even white i am brown. as expected its extremely safe...but still desolate. read the wikipedia article on new hampshire, i thought it was interesting and informative. even thought its considered rural its not like rural farmland, its rural northeast which is unique and different.