Dartmouth vs. Brown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

R-35

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here goes another vs. thread. I understand that at the end this is going to be a very personal decision regarding how I felt when I visited both institutions + financial aid differences. However, I wanted to know what everyone thinks of these institutions and which one would you attend if you had to pick between them.

Thanks again,
JBL

Members don't see this ad.

Here goes another vs. thread. I understand that at the end this is going to be a very personal decision regarding how I felt when I visited both institutions + financial aid differences. However, I wanted to know what everyone thinks of these institutions and which one would you attend if you had to pick between them.

Thanks again,
JBL

I feel like Brown is often the ugly stepchild of the Ivy league. My super-subjective opinion which is shared by many. This is going of course on name alone rather than curricula, area, programs, etc.

why is brown that way? i thought cornell was yes/no?

Members don't see this ad :)
Providence is a nice city and will probably give you better clinical ops.

Thanks again,
JBL

Dartmouth.

1. Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center is one of the best in New England.
2. When Dartmouth-Brown had a joint program, students from Dartmouth were always praised as being better prepared. Hence, Dartmouth eventually broke the tie and kept all its students instead of sending them to Brown.

Dartmouth.

1. Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center is one of the best in New England.
2. When Dartmouth-Brown had a joint program, students from Dartmouth were always praised as being better prepared. Hence, Dartmouth eventually broke the tie and kept all its students instead of sending them to Brown.

actually I think Brown closed the program to allow for more traditional students but it could have been the other way as well

This is interesting. Everything that I have read has led me to believe that Brown's is the stronger program by far. I've also heard that the split with Dartmouth was motivated by Brown's desire to admit more students via the traditional application route because their student body was too homogeneous. Why do those who think that Dartmouth is the obvious choice feel that way?

i like dartmouth a lot, i will see brown next week haha. so i guess i should wait until than to respond. just because everyone is so nice at dartmouth, that makes me want to come here so much more. who cares about the program, as long as i learn and graduate, get into residence, it is all the same to me. (at least for the MD portion of my consideration).

Everything I have read, seen, and experienced tells me Brown is the stronger program as well. The faculty is extremely nice, opportunities are endless with it being the only med school in the state, and the only reason thier ranking is low is becuase they are "small" and kind of "new" in the sense that they just opened up thier medical school to the nation a few years ago. They are pouring millions of $$$ into research so eventually they will get that USNews Ranking up. The match list speaks for itself...

http://bms.brown.edu/students/match/

I will add to the biased posting (hey, Brown person ;) ), by saying Dartmouth, definitely.

Academics are much stronger, DHMC is top-notch, and the area is great for being a student. I was concerned about heading to Dartmouth because I'm a big-city girl, but it kept me concentrated, it was a beautiful area 100% designed for students, and I'd even say it kept me more in shape because it made exercising easy ;) (okay, minor point!). On a more serious note, professors are 100% accessible, they invite students over for dinner frequently, students are very happy....

Strong academics, good quality of life.

Although both of these are very good schools and you'll be happy either way.

Dartmouth's reputation is probably better, too, although that may just be my impression.

Karina-

Is there a swimming pool and good gym at Dartmouth? And what sort of opportunities for socializing and studying off campus are there? I.e., are there lots of coffee shops and cafes around the school, and maybe a pub or two, or do you plunge immediately into fields and forests at the edge of campus?

Karina-

Is there a swimming pool and good gym at Dartmouth? And what sort of opportunities for socializing and studying off campus are there? I.e., are there lots of coffee shops and cafes around the school, and maybe a pub or two, or do you plunge immediately into fields and forests at the edge of campus?

Not to hijack the thread, but I'll briefly reply....

Yes, they've a swimming pool, and they recently completely re-did the gym and expanded it a lot. In Hanover itself there are only a few coffee shops (Dirt Cowboy is the most famous, but there are others, incl. Starbucks coffee, Dunkin' Donuts, etc.), a few cafes (my top recommendation is a small, hidden place called Rosie's -- excellent sandwiches), a few pubs (Murphey's, etc.). It seemed a lot smaller when I first arrived, but over time I found a lot more to the town, parts of it I didn't notice at first, extra roads and shops. Many med school students live in towns a short drive away, though (15 min? Like all things, depends on personal preference). Those cities tend to be better-stocked than Hanover, larger (for instance, the main movie theatre in Hanover only plays 4 movies at a time (plus there's the Hopkins centre, for movies), the nearby towns play many more).

But, yes, Hanover doesn't just end in trees :), although one can be fooled a bit at first. I guess the thing to recall is that the area has developed over many, many, MANY years as an intellectuals'/upper class haven, like many small college towns, so it's been designed with profs and students in mind, and most of these people are the kind who like great scenery but also want amenities, stuff to do, damnit -- they're not going to do without. Just try denying these profs, lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
although experiences vary, the majority of the students in the brown-dartmouth program feel the clinical experience is much stronger at brown. Rhode Island Hospital has an extremely large catchment area with the fifth busiest ER in the country. By contrast, Dartmouth students often have to travel to sites around the country in order to fill clinical requirements because of the limited capacity of the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center. Brown also benefits from having dozens of faculty members per student and the ability to attract bigger names due to the urban setting.

Are you at Brown, Mr. Furfur? If so, which route did you take to get there?

which school has cuter girls? and which school is more balanced between men and women? :D seriously

which school has cuter girls? and which school is more balanced between men and women? :D seriously

Well, if I get accepted at Dartmouth I'll be one of the cute girls, j/k :p

BTW, the MSAR shows Dartmouth has a good balance (~50/50) of males & females in their entering classes.

i havent been accepted to dartmouth yet either, but i hope i get in......i'm sure me saying at the interview i chose dartmouth because theres a possibility of teh school having cute girls will get me in :cool: :eek: :p

I am interviewing at Dartmouth soon! Dartmouth University owns its own ski/snowboarding facility near campus. As a snowboarding addict, Dartmouth is very very attractive to me.

I was at Dartmouth Thursday. The campus and hospital are beautiful. Even the physicians who work at DHMC are extremely friendly. I had a doctor introduce herself to me in the stairwell and wish me luck for my interview. Two other doctors showed me to my interview rooms (out of their way) when they saw my dazed and confused look as I wandered around the hospital. Also, Mr. O'Leary who is in the department of Multicultural Affairs met up with me for dinner with some other current students and arranged for a student host. They definitely go a long way to make you feel welcome, which I am sure extends to how they treat the students there!!

I am interviewing at Dartmouth soon! Dartmouth University owns its own ski/snowboarding facility near campus. As a snowboarding addict, Dartmouth is very very attractive to me.

Dartmouth COLLEGE not University

might wanna get that straight before you interview.

I was at Dartmouth Thursday. The campus and hospital are beautiful. Even the physicians who work at DHMC are extremely friendly. I had a doctor introduce herself to me in the stairwell and wish me luck for my interview. Two other doctors showed me to my interview rooms (out of their way) when they saw my dazed and confused look as I wandered around the hospital. Also, Mr. O'Leary who is in the department of Multicultural Affairs met up with me for dinner with some other current students and arranged for a student host. They definitely go a long way to make you feel welcome, which I am sure extends to how they treat the students there!!

Well, if VCgirl is seriously considering Dartmouth, then I guess there's a real possibility of cute girls attending the school. ;)

Dartmouth COLLEGE not University

might wanna get that straight before you interview.

the Big Apple, referring to my upcoming interview at Columbia. I was corrected, no one from NYC refers to it as the Big Apple, and Dartmouth is a college not a university. I stand corrected. Or more accurately, Dartmouth is a university but refers to itself as a college. Thanks for the education. Nomenclature is important.

although experiences vary, the majority of the students in the brown-dartmouth program feel the clinical experience is much stronger at brown. Rhode Island Hospital has an extremely large catchment area with the fifth busiest ER in the country. By contrast, Dartmouth students often have to travel to sites around the country in order to fill clinical requirements because of the limited capacity of the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center. Brown also benefits from having dozens of faculty members per student and the ability to attract bigger names due to the urban setting.

As a 4th year DMS student, I figure that I'll chime in.

It's true that the Dartmouth-Brown students are told that they are better prepared when they hit the wards in Providence. This information comes directly from the many friends that I have who made the move between 2nd and 3rd years. Dartmouth students have a reputation for having more clinical knowledge and for being more mature. Whether the above is objectively true, it is the reputation that DMS students have in Providence.

In past years, many Dartmouth-Brown students have chosen to stay at DMS instead of moving to Providence. This is not true every year, but has been a frequent turn of events.

It is true that many DMS students spend a significant portion of time away from DHMC during the 3rd year. It can be taxing to be away so much, but it can also be a great experience. Several of my friends have had fantastic experiences in Florida, the Navajo reservation, and in Bethel, AK for family medicine. I spent three months on pediatrics and ob-gyn in Portland, ME where the patient population was more diverse (yes, there is a large immigrant population in Portland, ME). Does this mean that the clinical experience at DHMC is sub-par? No. Having rotated at so many different hospitals, I can say that DHMC has a much better learning environment. The faculty and residents take student education seriously and we were rarely scutted out to do crap. Even the surgery dept is adamant that students are there to learn, not to fetch and carry for the residents.

Is DMS for everyone? No. It's been difficult for many of my friends who are of "diverse" backgrounds. Some people who are not big into outdoor/winter sports can feel a bit left out. Some people who like a bit more night life are disappointed.

Do I like it? Yes. Are there things I wish I could change? Yes.

I've gotten great interviews this year and I expect to match at a great program come match day.

Going to Dartmouth isn't going to limit your options. But, it's not a place that everyone will love attending.

Best of luck to everyone! :luck: