DAT 04/05/10. Thanks McGyver

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vokalyzd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took the DAT today
PAT 19
QR 22
RC 23
Bio 23
Gen Chem 23
Ochem 23
Total Science 23
AA 23

GPA 3.3..How are my chances at dental school?

Thank you so much for everybody's help on SDN (especially McGyver)
Study Material
Bio: Kaplan Review, Cliffs AP, Kaplan online/test, DAT Destroyer 2007
Gen Chem: Same as bio
Ochem: Same + 2 class notes from my Ochem series

Members don't see this ad.

Nice scores! What did you do for QR? What did you think about the calculator? I've studied without it, but trying to see if I should maybe start using one on my practice tests.

Members don't see this ad :)
Heck yeah man!! Awesome scores. I was thinking today was your lucky day. Hopefully I can follow it up tomorrow! Not only are those great scores but they are really consistent too. Glad I could help someone out! :)

Heck yeah man!! Awesome scores. I was thinking today was your lucky day. Hopefully I can follow it up tomorrow! Not only are those great scores but they are really consistent too. Glad I could help someone out! :)

Good luck Maygyver! :luck:

You do so much great question answering on these boards that I know you'll do great! ;)

Hey Maygyver! Good luck tomorrow man..I'm sure you will be fine! In terms of the calculator, I used it often as the test used less fractions? It didn't consume that much time but practice with and without it.. I did both but only used the calculator once I have my final equations down.

Took the DAT today
PAT 19
QR 22
RC 23
Bio 23
Gen Chem 23
Ochem 23
Total Science 23
AA 23

GPA 3.3..How are my chances at dental school?

Thank you so much for everybody's help on SDN (especially McGyver)
Study Material
Bio: Kaplan Review, Cliffs AP, Kaplan online/test, DAT Destroyer 2007
Gen Chem: Same as bio
Ochem: Same + 2 class notes from my Ochem series

Whenever you've got some free time and you're bored, do you mind sharing a breakdown of what you thought of each sections and how your prep materials prepared you for the DAT? Also, any study tips would be great!

I felt that the science sections on my DAT were easier than the practice tests for Kaplan but then again I took those tests not nearly as prepared as I was for the real thing. For bio, Cliff's AP Bio. I read that book at least 3x front to back.

For Gen chem, I bought the AP bio book for that too but I didn't find it that helpful. Mostly Kaplan/Destroyer.

Ochem. Memorized all of the reactions. The Destroyer has the 4-6 steps reaction scheme that worked amazing for me. I don't knwo about the new version but the 2007 one had road maps which I memorized.

I studied 10-12 hours a day for the last 2 weeks. Before that 6-8 hrs. I think I may have lucked out and gotten an easy DAT . I have to say..my PAT was a pain..I usually get angle rankings perfectly on Kaplan practice tests/Topscore but the real DAT angles were 1 degree apart for me. It came down to guessing but cube counting and top/front/end weren't too bad for me so that balanced it out. 19 =(

Overall.. no piano passage =D

That's interesting what you said about the TS being easy and PAT being hard. I felt my TS back in the day was pretty hard, then my PAT was really easy. Then RC was tough (I had piano) and QR I don't remember. I just suck at it. Maybe they balance the DAT out by alternating tougher sections. Just a theory. But great scores by the way.