May 19, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi everyone! I'm taking the Canadian DAT in a month, and I haven't really started studying yet... no excuses really other than school, research job and studying for MCAT over the summer. Do you think I would have enough time to prep? I know it's hard to answer since everyone's different etc but content-wise, is it do-able?

Also, any differences between American DAT and Canadian DAT? I feel like most prep materials out there target the American DAT.

(another) Also, any similarites/differences between the MCAT and DAT for people who have taken both? Content-wise, difficulty etc.

Thanks!

May 17, 2008
Status
Dental Student
I think it's doable if you invest the right amount of time each day and have a strong foundation of science knowledge already. Since you were preparing for the MCAT, you should have a head start there already.

As far as differences between the Canadian DAT and American DAT, the primary ones are that the Canadian DAT has no Organic Chemistry or Quantitative Reasoning (math section), while the American version has both those sections. The Canadian DAT includes an optional Manual Dexterity section (which the American version does not have).

The MCAT is a lot more difficult than the DAT and tends to involve more critical thinking (as you're already aware there's a lot of passage-based science stuff with applied knowledge, rather than straightforward problem solving from the DAT). The closest parallel I can think of is that the DAT's questions are more like the MCAT discrete questions, rather than the passage-based ones.

Roc Marciano

5+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2012
Status
Non-Student
I'm also taking the Canadian DAT in November. I started studying about 2 weeks ago and I think doing well is very doable. I took the MCAT a year ago and the general chem stuff is pretty much the same so assuming you know your stuff you won't need to study for that very much. You should also be in good shape for a large portion of the bio section like cells, physiology, genetics, embryology etc. but will need to really memorize the small details since the bio questions are more specific. The hardest part will be memorizing bio stuff that's not on the MCAT such as animal kingdoms, plants, ecology, evolution, animal behaviour etc. (unless you've covered that stuff in school) and prepping for the PAT section which isn't really something you study for but requires consistent practice. There's also RC which I haven't started but I believe it's more straightforward than CARS. Idk about soap carving because I won't be taking it.

I've been using American prep materials. Still gotta pay for the other sections though which sucks.

About the Ads
OP
C
May 19, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I think it's doable if you invest the right amount of time each day and have a strong foundation of science knowledge already. Since you were preparing for the MCAT, you should have a head start there already.

As far as differences between the Canadian DAT and American DAT, the primary ones are that the Canadian DAT has no Organic Chemistry or Quantitative Reasoning (math section), while the American version has both those sections. The Canadian DAT includes an optional Manual Dexterity section (which the American version does not have).

The MCAT is a lot more difficult than the DAT and tends to involve more critical thinking (as you're already aware there's a lot of passage-based science stuff with applied knowledge, rather than straightforward problem solving from the DAT). The closest parallel I can think of is that the DAT's questions are more like the MCAT discrete questions, rather than the passage-based ones.
Thanks for your answer! Do you have any tips on practicing the Manual Dexterity portion (if you've taken it)?

Aug 3, 2017
Hi you have enough time as Canadian DAT . Try connecting with STudents who are preparing for American DAT as those are the right set of people to solve your query.

Check StudyPal website you may connect with someone for American DAT

tiper15

2+ Year Member
May 23, 2017
Status
Pre-Dental
Definitely. Depends on how good your core knowledge is and how you study, but I would say its doable. There's people who only study for 2 weeks and do fine. Good luck! I'll be writing it as well :)

About the Ads