DAT 11/23/09 +Breakdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erk005

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I never thought that I would be bragging about the DAT, but here are my DAT scores!

Test 1 Test 2
PA 20 PA 21 (89.2%)
QR 17 QR 19 (92.9%)
RC 16 RC 19 (67.6%) :D
BIO 19 BIO 17 (55.7%) :eek:
GC 19 GC 22 (95.2%)
OC 16 OC 23 (97.1%) :thumbup:
TS 18 TS 19 (82.8%)
AA 17 AA 20 (93.4%) :D:):xf:

Overall: I am very happy with these scores. I know this is not a 23 like most of you on this site, but I do not think this score will keep me out of many schools. I am also happy that I did not bomb any section, except for the 17 in BIO. I was planning on taking this mid-Dec, but then I discovered most of the dead-lines were early Dec. I probably would have laughed at you 6 months ago if you told me I could get a 20 on the DAT. If I can do this, anyone can! Thanks SDN for all of your help. I went from the 46th% to the 93rd%!!!!!!!

BIO: This section was considerably more difficult this time. It was my only score that went down. I do not think studying much more would have helped my score in this section. The questions were very odd. Many questions were application of very advanced BIO concepts that I was very surprised to see on this exam. At least one was right out of Cliffs AP BIO. Genetics problems were tricky, and word problems did not make much sense (even though I am a senior BIO major). I guessed on about 10 of these which I did not have a clue about, and guessed on some others after narrowing them down. I was actually happy it only went down to a 17 after seeing the questions.

GC: Very basic. I did not study much for this section, and I got a "C" in CHM 2. Just know that canceling units and "rank the following" are really all you need to know to get a decent score.

OC: Fairly straightforward. I studied A LOT for OC. I feel that OC and GC are the most important sections to master in order to get a high AA. Each of the chemistry sections are only 30 questions, while the five other sections have 40, 50, and 40 questions. This means (as far as calculating AA) that each GC and OC question is worth more, because every section counts towards 1/5th of the AA. I definitely used this knowledge to my advantage while studying.

PA: I am naturally good at this, and did not study at all for it. I am sure with some practice I could have scored very high, but would rather focus on my weaknesses to achieve a well rounded score. Also, I don't think any scores in the 90th percentile are keeping me out of Dental school. Here are some helpful tips. (I only got a "17" on DAT Achiever)

Angle ranking: These are tough on the DAT, but make sure after you pick an answer, "verify" it by looking at the angles in order. They should appear to "open up" as you go through. This may sound stupid, but I felt it was very helpful in ranking the angles.

Aperture passing: I usually like to start with the one that looks the least like the actual object. A lot of times the object fits if you manipulate it the right way. I started this way because the correct answer was rarely the one that resembled the object as it was presented. If I got the answer choices down to two, I would compare them to figure it out. There is usually one obvious difference between two close answer choices.

Cube counting: Count slow. Double or even triple count the answers...you have time. Make sure get 100% in this part of the PAT, since it is so much easier than the rest of it.

RC: I read very slowly, comprehend horribly, and have the memory of a goldfish. I would have been happy with a 17. Words can not describe how happy I am with a 19 (I was getting 13-15 on DAT Achiever, and I got a 16 on the previous test). IF I CAN GET A 19 ON THIS SECTION ANYONE CAN! I attribute my score, or at least my improvement to "Search and Destroy". THANK YOU SDN MEMBERS FOR TEACHING ME THIS!!!!!!!

QR: This is my other strength. I though I was getting a 20+ on this section. The QR section was very basic, and mostly logical. I got a 19 and I skipped all of the trig problems (approx. 3-5 of them).

The weapons:

DAT DESTROYER (2009 ed): The best $165 ever spent. You learn by attempting to answer a question, then it explains the answer and the other choices. This is how I (and I think most people) learn best. It allows you to correct mistakes, and learn from them. Went through both OC and QR 1.5X, and BIO 0.5X. I did not understand 99% of the GC section, so I did not bother with it. I felt it was overkill, and I was right. OC section was excellent, and got me a 23. QR was great, but filled with misprints. This frustrating and distracting more than anything, but did not have any incorrect answers. I thought for $165 it would be better edited, however, it is still worth every penny. Get the DAT destroyer.

Chads Videos: The best thing that money can't buy. Watched OC videos 1.5X, and half of the GC videos. These videos cover major concepts very well, just be sure to set aside 20-30 hours to watch them. Cameraman is distracting because he sounds like Darth Vader breathing into the microphone on some videos, while on others he is checking out Chad instead of looking at the whiteboard. Highly recommend these videos, and THANK YOU CHAD FOR MAKING THESE!!!!!!!

KBB: I used it last time for everything, but this time for GC. Worth it for GC.

Cliff's AP BIOLOGY (I got 2nd Ed.): I didn't have time to get through this book completely, but definitely a great book. Questions at end of chapters are very basic, but that what the DAT is. Make sure you know a little bit about everything for the BIO section. Ironically, Cliffs AP BIO was the best edited DAT resource out of all of them, yet I bought it for $5 shipped (used).

Notes (from Alan I believe): Someone emailed me some BIO notes which where a brief summary of KBB BIO and DAT BIO. Worth looking at if you can find them. Just search for "Alan's notes", they are on SDN somewhere.

DAT Achiever: I absolutely hated this program. I know a lot of you like this, but I did not. If your head is getting big, and you want your ego crushed, then get Achiever. I got about a 15 TS, 15 AA, and 17 PAT for the achiever tests that I did. The test was overall way too hard, and I did not see how this was helpful to me. I think confidence is very important when taking a test. Getting 13-16 on everything did not inform me where I needed improvement, and destroyed any confidence that I had built up from studying X hours per day. The explanations were weak, especially when compared to DAT Destroyer. RC was very hard, and most of the questions I was getting right were at the end of each passage where I ran out of time and guessed. Another problem is that Achiever must connect to the internet in order to download each test, in order to verify the license. This is very frustrating if you are having internet connectivity problems the day before the test, when you are trying to practice a full length exam. I think if I were to do it again I would try Topscore.

Bookmarks: The best bookmarks were rejection letters from this cycle, and my previous DAT scores. This may sound silly, but if you start to lose motivation while studying, get distracted, etc. seeing a rejection letter or sub-par DAT scores will snap you right back into studying mode.

Now it is down to BU, NYU, and UCSF (I wont get my hopes up for UCSF). I am a white male :thumbdown:, I have a 3.3 GPA and a 3.2 science GPA, but I will be adding a 4.0 on after this semester! I have been working in a Dental practice for 1.5 years, however, I think 90% of the school care primarily about GPA/DAT. Hope to get some interviews soon!

Members don't see this ad.

Greatttt Jobbbbb! Very nice improvement and good breakdown! I was wondering what "search and destroy method" you used? Did you read the question and then look in the passage?

Hey I got a 20 AA as well and was curious because it said that I was only 84.0% so I was wondering if they changed it up or what. I took the DAT in mid August. Does anyone know?

Hey I got a 20 AA as well and was curious because it said that I was only 84.0% so I was wondering if they changed it up or what. I took the DAT in mid August. Does anyone know?

It depends on the version of your test. And i think schools see your percentiles too, just like how SAT scores are sent.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you!

blamb: For RC I read the first question, then skimmed the passage looking for the "key" word. If it was a "which can be inferred by" or "the author...", I just guessed. A lot of the questions that I got right, I found when looking for a different question. I then went back to answer it correctly. I know 19 is not a great score, but for me it is awesome. The first time when I got a 16 I used a mapping method, where you read the passage carefully and write out key words, then answer the questions. This mapping method (I got it from an older Barron's DAT book) seemed to waste too much time, and I hardly remembered anything about the passage by the time I finished reading it.

therock21: I think the percentile is based only on people who had the same test version as you did. People must have done worse on my version. Another thing it might be is based on your actual average (I am not certain on this, just a guess). I got an actual 20.0 AA, but anything between 19.6-20.4 is considered a "20" AA. I was very surprised by 93.4% also, because most people with a 20 got 82%.

It depends on the version of your test. And i think schools see your percentiles too, just like how SAT scores are sent.

No they don't.

I have never seen a 10% difference of the same score though. as in, 93% and 84% both for a 20AA on different versions.

lol you and I are very similar in regards to RC.

I used to NEVER get higher than 16 or 17 on practice tests. To the point where I actually gave up on doing RC and decided to "wing it" come exam time. Ended up with 19 on the real deal

This is going to look really good on you in regards to how much you improved. Showes great determination, good job :thumbup:

As far as the %-ages are conserned,

It depends on the test version. My 21AA was a 97.2% which is very rare for 21, usually 21s are in the range of 91-93%. Its kinda sad becuase the schools DO NOT get your %-ages, only your raw scores :(

I don't know exactly how they score the different test versions, but usually (for example) if you miss 6 questions on the biology, you drop down to a score of 20. Is this the case for ALL tests? If it is, it explains why the %-ages are so different from one test version to another. You can have test verion #1 where the biology is fairly easy and more than 85% of people get only 5 questions wrong (a solid score of 21)....on the other hand where you have some other versions, where the biology can be tougher, only 95% of people get only 5 questions wrong (still a score of 21, but MUCH less people getting it).....

No they don't.
QUOTE]
Are you sure schools don't get the percentiles? it doesn't seem fair... i mean if someone gets pianoed... then that's a totally different test!

Well, the percentiles should all be about the same. That's the unfair part.

Adcoms will not see your percentiles. I am sure.

Thanks everyone!

Bad new/luck received today. UCSF denied me (1 day after retaking the DAT). I am positive they did this before receiving the scores, so I will call them today.
Good news...I never completed UTSA secondary application because they only accept like 7 OOS applicants, so they never rejected me. Now at least I have a chance.

preppydoc: Thanks! If you study hard with the Destroyer (+Chad's videos), your scores should be solid.

sonshine: I studied about 1-2 hrs/day during the week for about month. On weekends, I studied more, maybe 4 hrs/day. If I wasn't doing HW or papers for my college classes, I was studying for the DAT. I gave up almost everything besides DAT studying and school for this month (no athletics, no poker games, no movies, etc.). The 3 days Friday+Saturday+Sunday before the test I studied about 40 hours. These 40 hours were really helpful, and scheduling the DAT on Monday was the best choice I ever made.

Make sure you take the "ADA sample items" test close to when you take the real test. It is very close to the DAT and is a great estimate of scores
My ADA Test 2 days before DAT:
BIO 20 (went down to a 17:eek:?!?!?!)
GC 21 (22 on DAT)
OC 25 (23 on DAT)
RC 18 (19 on DAT)
I don't think I took PAT and QR because I knew I was good at those

wantVCUdental and dentalWorks: Yeah it sucks to get 93rd% only to have schools think you are 84% or whatever, but I do not care all that much. I want to be a dentist, and you only need to get into one dental school to be a dentist. I honestly thought I would be getting a 19/20/20, and have to reapply early next cycle to get in. I am just happy that I will most likely get some interviews with a 20/19/21 and a 3.3 GPA. I hope getting a 17 in BIO doesn't look to bad from a 4th year BIO major though.

Can you please elaborate on your strategy for the angles.... not exactly sure what you mean...

SaSSyBruin: Sorry my strategy for angles was not very clear.
Step 1: Pick your best answer
Step 2: Go through the answers, in the order that you picked them. The angles should each get slightly larger as you go through them
For example:

QPAA035S.gif

A. 3-1-4-2
B. 3-1-2-4
C. 3-4-1-2
D. 1-3-4-2

If you pick A, then go through them in order. First look at #3, then #1, then #4, then #2. I felt this helped me catch some mistakes.

Also, I forgot to add my hole punching tip. For hole punching, I liked to refold the "answer" choice, to make sure that it fit in the "question hole" that was punched (by "question hole" I meant the final part of the question, where they show the folded paper with the hole punched in it). This was my way of checking the answers, and was done by putting the answer through the series of folds in order, then seeing if it covered up the single (or sometimes two) hole(s).

Congrats on the good scores i know this site has amazing scores but urs are just as solid i just wanted to ask you if you used destroyer the first time around and the second time around what was the major difference in using the material presented and how did you master it? just tryna figure out the best way to use destroyer people have many opinions on it and i know its an excellent resource just wanted to know what you did different the second time around and how did it benefit you congrats again!

I used the destroyer for O-Chem mostly. I found it was best to try to answer the question in my head, then flip to the answers to see what I got wrong. Another thing was that Chad's videos kind of seem to go along with the DAT destroyer. When I first started in the Destroyer, I was getting ~10% correct, but when i switched back and forth between videos and Destroyer, my % correct kept increasing. One more piece of advice...Yes it is good motivation to read other peoples study habits/DAT scores, but seeing a 23AA wont get you one. Do not spend too much time on SDN doing these things (like I did) when you should be studying!

On another note...

Does anyone have any advice on what schools that I should add to my app now. I feel like only having 2 schools is too risky and expensive. Preferably state schools. I'm sure NYU is great, but I do not want to take out 90,000 for 4 years in loans. It seems like Pitt and Marq are good schools to add, although their AADSAS apps might be over their deadline. (I know someone at Pitt and used to live in Wisc) I will also be completing my UTSA secondary now (This was the only school out of the 9 I never did my 2* app because they only accept 7 OOS/year). I have also faxed CU my new scores (post rej.), and will call MWU (also post rej.) to see if I can send them my new scores. I feel like my stats, and living in AZ is more than enough to get me an interview if they will reconsider my app.

In summary...
DAT: 20/19/21
GPA: ~3.3
sGPA: ~3.2

Yes, I have looked at the thread "what schools should I apply to", as well as many other similar threads. Compiling the GPA trends, DAT trends, OOS acceptance, DAT deadlines, AADSAS deadlines, state vs private schools, spots left, interview acceptance %, etc. is a lot of info to collect, esp. before Dec 1st. Anyone who is bored/spends too much time on SDN/wants to help me out, is greatly appreciated. Thanks!