PAT: 18
QR: 19
RC: 19
BIO: 23
GC: 20
OC: 20
TS: 21
AA: 20

PAT: I was disappointed since this is usually my strongest section. Angles and keyholes were harder than expected.
Crack Dat Pat, Kaplan BB

QR: This was mentally exhausting and time consuming, being the last section. But the calculator helped in saving time.
Crack Dat Math, Kaplan BB

RC: I got the piano passage and it killed me. Fairly simple passage to read, but ridiculously hard inference questions.

BIO: Mostly involved ecology, genetics and microbiology. There were a few oddball questions, but mostly simple.
Kaplan BB, Kaplan AP Biology

GC: Fairly simple... gas laws, periodic table, stoichiometry. Not much of electrolysis.
Kaplan BB, Examcrackers

OC: Pleasantly surprised since this is usually my worst section. Mostly conceptual, more spectroscopy than expected.
Kaplan BB, Examcrackers

I'm fairly sure I'll be retaking this, at least for PAT... Thoughts?

crew09

5+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
overall good scores, no weakness really, 18 is respectable for pat

what were u going for?

flybry2000

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Those are great scores! I feel you on the PAT though. My test is in about a week and a half, and I consider PAT to be my ace in the hole. Strong scores none the less, good job.

Bio Dental Mom

5+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Good job! I don't think I would retake, that is depending on your GPA... If you have a solid gpa then I wouldn't retake, you wouldn't want one of your science scores going down, that wouldn't look good. I would call the school of your choice and see what they accept and if you're in the ballpark, then relax and just wait till the application opens in June. :xf:

Alanine

7+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
I wouldn't retake!
Your science scores are really good and I'd be scared that they would go down if you retook the exam just for the PAT section.

prsndwg

7+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
unless you get 23's you will damage your DAT scores.
Here's the summary of my scores:

PAT: I was disappointed since this is usually my strongest section. Angles and keyholes were harder than expected.
Crack Dat Pat, Kaplan BB

QR: This was mentally exhausting and time consuming, being the last section. But the calculator helped in saving time.

RC: I got the piano passage and it killed me. Fairly simple passage to read, but ridiculously hard inference questions.

BIO: Mostly involved ecology, genetics and microbiology. There were a few oddball questions, but mostly simple.

GC: Fairly simple... gas laws, periodic table, stoichiometry. Not much of electrolysis.
Kaplan BB, Examcrackers

OC: Pleasantly surprised since this is usually my worst section. Mostly conceptual, more spectroscopy than expected.
Kaplan BB, Examcrackers

azar87

MD 2 Be
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2008
New York
Status
Medical Student
dont bother with a re-take friend you've done very well in sciences and ur scores are solid ur pat is reasonable ur fine with ur score be happy did you use destroyer or cliffs ap bio? or anything else let us know congrats again

mag7ical

10+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
did you use destroyer or cliffs ap bio? or anything else let us know congrats again
Nope I didn't use either of those. But I did use TopScore and Wikipedia for bio.

Yeah I don't know about the retake ... I'm worried since my gpa is on the low side (3.1), but I also don't want to risk my scores going down.

Oct 14, 2009
Status
ooo... you would be fine if you had a ~3.5 with those scores- but a 3.1?

I suggest retaking it and acing every section. (23+) Or raising your GPA to at least a 3.3.

If your at the end of the road (Graduation). Then there are two routes: Putting it "all in" and going for a 23+ with a 3.1, playing it safe (keeping the DAT) and taking extra courses- However, admissions will see that 3.1 and that year of extra courses will not really factor in.

I dunno what to say- If I were you, I would take ~20+ units over the summer to boost it up so that admissions will see the immediate increase. Much easier said then done, but thats what I had to do.

Last edited:

oae

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2006
California
Status
Pre-Dental
ooo... you would be fine if you had a ~3.5 with those scores- but a 3.1?

I suggest retaking it and acing every section. (23+) Or raising your GPA to at least a 3.3.

If your at the end of the road (Graduation). Then there are two routes: Putting it "all in" and going for a 23+ with a 3.1, playing it safe (keeping the DAT) and taking extra courses- However, admissions will see that 3.1 and that year of extra courses will not really factor in.

I dunno what to say- If I were you, I would take ~20+ units over the summer to boost it up so that admissions will see the immediate increase. Much easier said then done, but thats what I had to do.

I agree with this post.

If you dont want to be an average candidate, then consider raising your GPA. I would avoid a retake DAT considering the risk involved with not doing drastically better.

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2009
Sterling Hts, Mi
Status
Dentist
Here's the summary of my scores:

Crack Dat Pat, Kaplan BB

Kaplan BB, Examcrackers

Kaplan BB, Examcrackers

Why would you retake ? 20AA with 21TS is a solid score. Majority of dental schools in the nation have DAT averages of 19-20. And PAT averages for most schools ranges between 19-20 (so your not that bad off)

I mean if you want to retake the test again, sure go a head, but if you just go up by 1 or 2 points, its not going to make THAT much of a difference. You need to get a 23+ AA to make a significant improvement. Good luck on whatever you decide

May 12, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
I wouldn't retake. Even though your gpa is relatively low I don't think it would be wise to risk getting a lower score. The PAT could hurt you for some schools. I got an 18 on the PAT and was still accepted though. Good luck and feel great about your scores, they are great!

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2009
Sterling Hts, Mi
Status
Dentist
Another thing I forgot to mention is... Maybe you can do some post-bacc courses within your "off year". Take about 20-30 credits in the off-year just incase you don't get in this cycle. If you do this, you'll have a MUCH stronger shot next cycle (cycle opening for 2011) assuming you do well on your post-bacc that is.

Reason why I say post-bacc is, it can help bring up your GPA and science GPA

Jan 28, 2010
Indiana
Status
Pre-Dental
If I were you I'd probably retake it, just an honest opinion of someone who realizes the chances of us actually competing for a spot somewhere are quite slim to none