Mar 31, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
YES! Done with my DAT! My scores are pretty random.. I still can't believe it.

Bio 22
GC 21
OC 18
RC 30
PAT 30
QR 21

Might I recommend:

Reading Comp: Search and destroy all the way! Most of the time I practiced Kaplan's method of going through the whole passage and noting paragraph numbers and keywords... but this always took more than half the time allotted and led to frantic scrambling in the end!

Instead, I go to the first question and look for a key word or phrase that if found in the text will lead you to your answer. Skim the text for your magic word- don't read! If the answer isn't given VERY EXPLICITLY, take a little time to read through the paragraph for understanding. Sometimes things can get tricky and you'll wind up with the wrong answer without all the info.

While you're skimming try to get a feel for the words that keep popping up in each paragraph, this will clue you into what the passage is about. Just think, "Oh the word "bronchitis" keeps popping up in this paragraph.. this one has a lot of numbers about age groups.. doot doot doot.. I see IgA and IgB a lot in this one". This helped me make a mental map of the passage without trying to memorize or write down keywords.

If one of your first questions for the passage is about the big picture, don't hesitate to SKIP! By the time you finish all the detail questions you'll have a way better understanding of what's going on and will probably answer it in a second compared to minutes you waste tackling it right away.

This left me with 15+ minutes to answer incompletes and check answers. I was tempted to go ahead to the QR to "save brainpower". Just stick it out! I went back to check all answers and caught around 4-5 mistakes, mainly for answers I didn't see explicitly and picked because I saw a vague hinting towards them in the passage. Again, this is where it's important to read the paragraph for understanding!

I didn't especially practice this section, only when I took my practice tests (3 Achievers, 2 Top Scores). I think I inconsistently got 19-24s. One of my favorite sites I go to everyday is Newscientist.com and I would like to think it helped me practice reading about science. Their news stories have a nice dab of scientific terminology (not dense like sci. articles from journals) and most of the them are way cool and interesting. I highly recommend achiever just because it's so crazy intense that if you go through it and learn from what you got wrong, everything else is a breeze. Top Score is very similar to actual DAT.

PAT: I took the Kaplan course around 2 yrs ago (but didn't get around to taking the DAT until now). I reviewed Kaplan lessons on the PAT but from what I remember their PAT was way too easy. Again, Top Score is the most similar to the DAT, learning and getting good at Achiever makes you a pro, and the 3 Crack DAT tests I took were pretty challenging, but not slam your head into the table status like Achiever.

If you want specific tips, I just saw Sama951's "wicked sick PAT tutorial" thread and it looked pretty good. :thumbup:

QR: Geez, I thought this was my best section! Don't underestimate the DAT! The math section in DAT Destroyer was really good if you're already familiar with the math, not good if you're looking for tutorial. Googling stuff online works pretty decently for that. Kaplan strategy is really good for learning little tricks that free up a lot of time. The computer calculator is annoying and you find yourself computing stupid things you could easily have done in your head.

BOTTOM LINE: I think my number one tip would be to work up a good pace!! If any question is giving you the slightest inkling of trouble, DON'T HESITATE TO SKIP it and come back at the end. If you get trapped using 5 minutes to no avail, that's potentially 4+ other questions you could have gotten right in a snap!

Make sure you work up your stamina with full length tests. Achiever rocks because after you've gotten okay at it everything else is easy in comparison.. (well.. except DAT Destroyer). It has AWESOME customer service and is visually quite similar to the DAT. Top Score only works on pc (boo!), dwl was a hassle (dude check out their faqs, there's like a zillion errors that can pop up trying to start it.. okay but once i found my error getting it to work was a snap), and has no detailed PAT solutions (when I asked them about it someone responded like a day later saying the solution answer should be self explanatory (WTF mate?). But yeah, still worth it, cos it's quite similar to actual DAT. And I'm sure I was just super annoyed with them because I only had a week until the test.

Oh yea, and of course concentrate on the present! If a section didn't go so well let it go like water under the bridge. You never know how you'll wind up doing so tell your brain to shut up and keep on chugging!

Uhm hopefully someone found this long-winded post helpful. And I have a less than stellar gpa so hopefully this helps my app X)
Break a leg everybody!

Last edited:
May 13, 2009
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hello. What materials did you use for the chems and bio?

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2009
Sterling Hts, Mi
Status
Dentist
RC 30
PAT 30
:wtf:
Omg the 2 most annoying sections of the DAT...You litterally walked in the testing center and took a gigantic dump on them, good job man, God I hate those sections esspecially the reading.

Mar 31, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
@dentalworks: LOL THANKS! I love the imagery.

@chrono: Hi. Kaplan review book, kaplan lesson book, Destroyer, Achiever, Top Score.
I just recently found this guy http://www.khanacademy.org/. He is AWESOME! I wish I found him sooner but all I got to use him for was to understand cell-mediated/humoral immunity. There are TONS of videos on everything. He goes through things pretty slowly, but it's all clear and easy to understand and he has a nice voice :).

@Avery: DAT angles are way easier. Keep doin crack and you'll be great ;). I got only 1-3 of those OMG THESE ANGLES HAVE LIKE 2 DEGREE DIFFERENCE questions. Well maybe more but those others you could avoid direct comparison by looking at the other angle relations.

@ Frederico: Thanks! It was kind of a weird path. Took the kaplan course about two years ago. Studied for 2 months (not very well) last june/july. Studied for 3 months and finally took the DAT.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
@Avery: DAT angles are way easier. Keep doin crack and you'll be great ;). I got only 1-3 of those OMG THESE ANGLES HAVE LIKE 2 DEGREE DIFFERENCE questions. Well maybe more but those others you could avoid direct comparison by looking at the other angle relations.
Okay nvm, I was a little quick on the draw. I looked back at the angle section of crack and it is quite similar to the actual DAT. Sorry!

Avery07

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2008
Status
Dentist
I just recently found this guy http://www.khanacademy.org/. He is AWESOME! I wish I found him sooner but all I got to use him for was to understand cell-mediated/humoral immunity. There are TONS of videos on everything. He goes through things pretty slowly, but it's all clear and easy to understand and he has a nice voice :).

Ok first thing-- khanacademy.org -- :eek: amazing. That website needs its own thread.

Secondly, Angles have been my worst PAT section. I tried your comparison method and now I'm actually getting about 90% of the questions right on crackPAT so thanks for sharing that. Before I tried the mountain or whatever method it's called and would get about 65% correct.

Mar 31, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
sweet! I'm glad you found that helpful! And I KNOW, that guy's website truly is amazing. It has such a great cause; Salman Khan is my new hero.

Smiley25

5+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Thank you so much for telling us about Khan Academy! I had never heard of it before...I have been using Chad's videos(which are very helpful), but wishing I had something to cover Bio stuff. Your RC & PAT scores: AWESOME! When I toured a few dental schools in the fall I was asking them how they looked at the DAT scores. They said they break them down and want high sciences and high RC. If you have a low QR...and that's the only thing low in your breakdown, then they pretty much overlook it. Congratulations and thanks again for the suggestions...I'm going to start practicing S&D!

azar87

MD 2 Be
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2008
New York
Status
Medical Student
wow those are amazing scores man you will land urself in a great schools with those perfect scores you absolutely did amazing the resources you used are common here so im content to see everythign you've used has helped you out best of luck