DAT 4th TIme, what Should I do?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

urDDS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I might take this exam for the 4th time in JAn. how do I apply for it, is it easy to apply for the petition or you need a good excuse to go??
take care

Members don't see this ad.

You can take the DAT a fourth time but you need to petition the ADA for the opportunity. It is often difficult to petition, and even more difficult for dental schools to view the fourth DAT positively. In their minds they see someone who might have to take the boards four times to pass. It can be done though. What are your scores. It might be a better decision to improve the GPA someway or even do post-graduate work to impress the AD COMMS. Research the ADA site for details on the petition process. You need several letters:
1)
A copy of a completed and submitted application to dental school.
2)
A letter of rejection from a dental school.
3)
A letter from a dental school admissions officer encouraging you to retest or reapply.
4)
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]A letter on school stationary from a college/university health profession advisor/instructor verifying that you are applying/reapplying to dental school.
If you think you can do it and get the score you want and need then go for it. Good luck in your decision.

You can take the DAT a fourth time but you need to petition the ADA for the opportunity. It is often difficult to petition, and even more difficult for dental schools to view the fourth DAT positively. In their minds they see someone who might have to take the boards four times to pass. It can be done though. What are your scores. It might be a better decision to improve the GPA someway or even do post-graduate work to impress the AD COMMS. Research the ADA site for details on the petition process. You need several letters:
1)
A copy of a completed and submitted application to dental school.
2)
A letter of rejection from a dental school.
3)
A letter from a dental school admissions officer encouraging you to retest or reapply.
4)
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]A letter on school stationary from a college/university health profession advisor/instructor verifying that you are applying/reapplying to dental school.
If you think you can do it and get the score you want and need then go for it. Good luck in your decision.

I actually heard it wasn't very difficult to be approved to take the test a 4th time (however I do believe you are correct on the schools viewing it poorly). I think the main reason for requiring applicants to do this is because they dont want people from test aids (Kaplan, Destroyer, Topscore, Achiever, ect) to just repeatedly take the test. They want to make sure you are a serious applicant, which is why they request the above info... however this is all 2nd hand speculation, although it does make sense to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually heard it wasn't very difficult to be approved to take the test a 4th time (however I do believe you are correct on the schools viewing it poorly). I think the main reason for requiring applicants to do this is because they dont want people from test aids (Kaplan, Destroyer, Topscore, Achiever, ect) to just repeatedly take the test. They want to make sure you are a serious applicant, which is why they request the above info... however this is all 2nd hand speculation, although it does make sense to me.

hmm good thinking, never thought of that.....

I might take this exam for the 4th time in JAn. how do I apply for it, is it easy to apply for the petition or you need a good excuse to go??
take care

May I ask what your first three DAT scores where and how much they improved each time?

Also, what did you do differently each time?