DAT 4th time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentgogo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
is there a change in getting into dental school with 4th time DAT?
has anyone pull it off?
I am interested in texas schools and few outofstate schools..
any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't apply to Texas schools unless you're a TX resident. I don't think they're OOS friendly.

is there a change in getting into dental school with 4th time DAT?
has anyone pull it off?
I am interested in texas schools and few outofstate schools..
any thoughts?

I hate to tell you this, but taking it over 3 times and scoring well is probably going to be more detrimental than say scoring well on the 1st time, however, if you ace it the 4th time of course that is better than taking it 3 times and scoring poorly.

Don't know anyone that has pulled this off, but since you are retaking it so many times, you definitely need to change the way you study for it.

Best prep materials IMO:
PAT-Crack Dat PAT hands down, all you need

Sciences-DAT Destroyer, CHad's videos and ochem and a 2nd language (I and II), Cliffs AP bio

QR-MATH destroyer

RC-Crack Dat Reading

Practice Tests-Topscore, Achiever, ADA sample tests

I reviewed most of the above in my blog.

http://acedat.blogspot.com/p/dat-prep-materials.html

Best wishes buddy. I can only imagine how stressful all the retakes must be.

If you plan on applying this cycle, I'd suggest studying until you are happy with your scores on your practice tests. Don't take it early than get a unsatisfactory score. Better to push it back a week or 2 until your prepared so you can kill it!:thumbup::thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
There's always a chance... but you need to score really well on this 4th and LAST attempt :) Make this attempt your last by scoring really well. As for TX schools, they love in-state applicants only for the most part. The only exception is if you are an outstanding OOS applicant. Even for in-state applicants, it's an extremely competitive applicant pool. And if you are a URM in-state applicant, you're in luck because they seem to have leniency towards them.

Was there an upward trend in your last 3 attempts? What do you think you'll do differently?
Beyond study habits I think test taking skills is the key. Do you get really nervous during the exam? Do you try to find an answer before actually understanding the question fully? Do you try to solve orgo in your head rather than draw it out?
I'm only saying all of this because this describes my friend who took her exam and scored poorly. She is retaking but I fear she won't change her ways. We studied together and I witnessed her problem solving skills were lacking. She was too quick to look for an answer before even getting what they are asking her. Often times she sat and tried to figure out an answer when she should be calculating it on paper.

was there an upward trend in your last 3 attempts? What do you think you'll do differently?
Beyond study habits i think test taking skills is the key. Do you get really nervous during the exam? Do you try to find an answer before actually understanding the question fully? Do you try to solve orgo in your head rather than draw it out?
I'm only saying all of this because this describes my friend who took her exam and scored poorly. She is retaking but i fear she won't change her ways. We studied together and i witnessed her problem solving skills were lacking. She was too quick to look for an answer before even getting what they are asking her. Often times she sat and tried to figure out an answer when she should be calculating it on paper.

i

Last edited:
I don't think taking it a 4th time is okay considering that you took the mcat recently as well and your title on SDN is to become a foot doctor. The dental schools will think you are confused with what you want to be and that you are indecisive. Best of luck anyway with whatever endeavors your future may entail!

I am considering retaking but I dont think i can do better in math. I think too much on questions and run out of time!! (Something that was always my problem, everytime in class exams I am actually the last to leave the room) I see all of you guys getting such good scores that I am losing my brain out. Since I applied last 2011 I had taking more advance science classes (4) and planning on taking maybe 2-3 more next semester to increase my science gpa. I am going on an mission trip soon too so I can add more good stuff on my app for next cycle. Should i retake ?

Please, never underestimate yourself. I believe that you can do it!!! If you are retaking it again, buy a Math Destroyer and try to master 2 tests at the time. Timing is hard but if you master it, you should get at least 16 which is much better than 13. Your mission will look good on your app but I still think numbers are very important. You have one year to study to increase your chance. Good luck!

Please, never underestimate yourself. I believe that you can do it!!! If you are retaking it again, buy a Math Destroyer and try to master 2 tests at the time. Timing is hard but if you master it, you should get at least 16 which is much better than 13. Your mission will look good on your app but I still think numbers are very important. You have one year to study to increase your chance. Good luck!

Thank

Last edited:
I am considering retaking but I dont think i can do better in math. I think too much on questions and run out of time!! (Something that was always my problem, everytime in class exams I am actually the last to leave the room) I see all of you guys getting such good scores that I am losing my brain out. Since I applied last 2011 I had taking more advance science classes (4) and planning on taking maybe 2-3 more next semester to increase my science gpa. I am going on an mission trip soon too so I can add more good stuff on my app for next cycle. Should i retake ?

Math is definitely one of the subjects that you can train for. If you boost your qr, your Dat could have been 19+.