Jun 27, 2009
29
0
Status
Pre-Dental
First thing first:

PAT 22 (97.2%)
QR 15 (38.3%) :mad:
RC 18 (38.3%)
Bio 22 (95.2%)
Chem 19 (70.7%)
ORG 21 (86.3%)
TS 21 (91.3%)
AA 19 (73.5%)

I am not sure what emotion I should be experiencing right now. I think my scores are pretty good but QR screwed me over big time. I need some feedback and here is some other stuff to consider. I have a Science GPA of 3.54 and cumulative 3.44. I don't think my GPA is that great so I wanted to rock the DAT so I can improve my chances of getting into dental school. What are my chances of getting in, do I need a retake?!?!?!?

BREAKDOWN

I only studied for about a month, if not less, 6-8 Hours a day. I never took ORG II and haven't taken G.Chem since my freshman year and I just got done with my senior year. I read Kaplan BB and then went through destroyer (I didn't really finish the whole thing though becuase I was short on time) then started taking practice tests. Achiever is hard and it will just kill your confidence, I knew this before hand so I took the tests a a couple of weeks before my test so I don't get too nervous, I believe extra practice will never hurt you. Topscore is pretty good. CDP is pretty good for PAT and a good representation of the actual DAT. Destroyer is pretty good but I was not able to use it to the fullest, I would have liked to go over it twice but I barely even got through the whole thing once.

- PAT: CDP is pretty good for this section. I thought the test was harder than CDP in Keyhole and Pattern Folding. TFE was harder but easier at the same time, the figures were more complicated but you can easily eliminate the wrong choices. Hole punching was about the same difficulty. Angles was by far the easiest section on there I thought, I am by no means awesome at angles but I didn't have to bend over backwards to figure any out. I could literally rate them from smallest to biggest without even doing much comparison.

- QR: HARD HARD HARD... I consider myself good at math. I was getting 19-20 on practice tests. Did topscore, achiever, and destroyer, and studied from other resources. The real test was out of this world, they excpect too much I think. 75% word problems and the other 25% are not simple questions either. I ran out of time and had to guess on the last 10 questions, but apparently I didn't even get much of the first 30 correct. I have no advice for this section and if I did I doubt you want to follow it.

Reading: OMFG what is ADA thinking. I usually just speed read the passage in about 5-8 mins and write down keywords as I go which in practice tests made me get at least 20 and even as high as 24. This did not work too well on the test since in the first 2 passages 80% of the questions were not from straight from the passage and were all wierd. I got to my last passage with 10 mins left so I knew I couldn't do my normal thing so I decided to do some search and destroy and manages to salvage some of the questions. I realized that the questions were straight out of the passage and wanted to slap myself but this helped me salvage some of the questions on there. I think my notes saved my ass to some extent because search and destroy would have not worked at all with the first 2 passages. I think they are starting to pick on on search and destroyer and are crancking that section up.

- Bio: I'm a biology major so I didn't have to put much into it. I didn't think it was that bad or random. I Read Kaplan BB twice and went to Barnes and Nobles and just brushed over cliff's AP and destroyer bio once.

- Chem: Was not too bad although I thought I would do better. G. chem was probably my weakest section so I'm happy with my scores. Kaplan BB was all I studied for this section and did destroyer problems.

-Org: This was my best section when I was taking practice tests but I thought I was going to do bad when I was taking the test. I didn't like the way the problems were set up and it throwed me off a little bit. Destroyer is a must and Kaplan BB is pretty good for this section. I did pretty good in ORG I so even though I never took ORG II I made sure I understood it rather than memorize which was key.


So what do you guys think my chances are, what about cuttoffs for dental schools. I heard that QR is not as important as sciences and PAT but is 15 too low to get in?!?!?
I am applying to about 10 schools but Nova is my first choice since I live in the area and went there for undergrad. Now excuse me I am going to get Drunk.
 

dev9036

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2007
114
0
31
philadelphia
Status
Pre-Dental
Awesome..good luck applying. Finally done have fuin.. I dont think QR is that big of a deal..chill..:rolleyes:
 

sfrice80

Blood, Sweat, and Beers
Jun 11, 2009
1,272
0
Minneapolis, MN
Status
Dental Student
Agreed, QR continues to plague almost everyone and these are some of the best applicants on SDN, so imagine people who aren't on SDN! All the other scores look good! Good Luck
 

printer21

10+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2009
125
1
Status
Dental Student
First thing first:

- QR: HARD HARD HARD... I consider myself good at math. I was getting 19-20 on practice tests. Did topscore, achiever, and destroyer, and studied from other resources. The real test was out of this world, they excpect too much I think. 75% word problems and the other 25% are not simple questions either. I ran out of time and had to guess on the last 10 questions, but apparently I didn't even get much of the first 30 correct. I have no advice for this section and if I did I doubt you want to follow it.

Reading: OMFG what is ADA thinking. I usually just speed read the passage in about 5-8 mins and write down keywords as I go which in practice tests made me get at least 20 and even as high as 24. This did not work too well on the test since in the first 2 passages 80% of the questions were not from straight from the passage and were all wierd. I got to my last passage with 10 mins left so I knew I couldn't do my normal thing so I decided to do some search and destroy and manages to salvage some of the questions. I realized that the questions were straight out of the passage and wanted to slap myself but this helped me salvage some of the questions on there. I think my notes saved my ass to some extent because search and destroy would have not worked at all with the first 2 passages. I think they are starting to pick on on search and destroyer and are crancking that section up.
Dude, same exact **** for me.. especially for reading, except I paced myself and give myself 20 minutes for each of the 3 passages and i had enough time for the last (and im' sure i got every question correct for last passage). but the first 2 were like WTF, its not word for word in the passage help! lol
 

NyCzPeter

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2008
672
3
Status
Dental Student
How do u plan on getting accepted without orgo 2?
 
OP
A
Jun 27, 2009
29
0
Status
Pre-Dental
Agreed, QR continues to plague almost everyone and these are some of the best applicants on SDN, so imagine people who aren't on SDN! All the other scores look good! Good Luck

I went in thinking I will atleast get a 18. Seeing people's scores on here just made it worst if you know what I mean.
 
OP
A
Jun 27, 2009
29
0
Status
Pre-Dental
Dude, same exact **** for me.. especially for reading, except I paced myself and give myself 20 minutes for each of the 3 passages and i had enough time for the last (and im' sure i got every question correct for last passage). but the first 2 were like WTF, its not word for word in the passage help! lol

If I would have only known or pased myself well then that would have put at a 20 or something because I know I guessed on like 8 of the last one since I didn't have time to find the exact phrase even though I knew it lurking in there somewhere lol. I see QR kicked your ass as well, but atleast its all over.
 
OP
A
Jun 27, 2009
29
0
Status
Pre-Dental
How do u plan on getting accepted without orgo 2?
I'm taking it in the fall. I graduated in May so its going to be my only class but I'm also going to have a full time job. I am not stressing about it at all though, I'm sure I will easily get an A, even though it probably won't make a difference since I will know where I stand with Dental school by then.