Dat 7/22/09

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anschutz1913

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took my DAT today. I thought that the BIO questions were really off the wall and not something that could really be "studied" for. I also knew that QR was going to be tough, but I never could have predicted how difficult these questions were.

My breakdown:
PAT; 24 (99.3)
QR; 16 (50.9)
RC; 22 (87.3)
BIO: 20 (85.5)
GCHE: 17(47.5)
OCHE; 19(73.6

TS: 19 (73.6)
AA; 19 (73.5)

Do I need to retake due to the QR and GCHEM sections??? How did everyone else do today?

Thanks,
ANZ

Members don't see this ad.

I really wouldnt worry about your QR, that is pretty much everyones lowest score across the board. THe gen chem score is the one i would worry about. I would think about calling schools to see what they think about that gen chem score, if you are applying to an in-state school, I would say you have a good chance with those scores but it also depends on your gpa, ec's, etc...

Members don't see this ad :)
I really wouldnt worry about your QR, that is pretty much everyones lowest score across the board. THe gen chem score is the one i would worry about. I would think about calling schools to see what they think about that gen chem score, if you are applying to an in-state school, I would say you have a good chance with those scores but it also depends on your gpa, ec's, etc...

I agree, but it also depends on which state your in unfortunatly!

It's true that QR is the least important score, but you make it sound like schools completely ignore that score!
That is NOT the case. Schools will only overlook your QR school if it's above a certain point (You can't score a 14 and hope they wouldn't notice your poor performance). Furthermore, your other scores must be fairly competitive and impressive enough for schools to overlook your QR.
If one has average DAT scores and scores awfully low on QR, then that QR score could very well become problematic for him/her.

Thanks for the replies;

my gpa is 3.68 BCP, 3.72 total. I have a BS in BIO, and I am an Oregon resident. Also a student athlete, tons of research, 3 family member dentists, lots of activities proving manual dexterity.

I really hope I do not need to retake this test!

ANZ

Thanks for the replies;

my gpa is 3.68 BCP, 3.72 total. I have a BS in BIO, and I am an Oregon resident. Also a student athlete, tons of research, 3 family member dentists, lots of activities proving manual dexterity.

ANZ

I don't think you need a retake, but a 16 QR and a 17 G-chem score will probably hinder your chances at some of the top schools. I think you have a decent shot at your state schools, specially considering the fact that Oregon takes very few out of state applicants.

It's true that QR is the least important score, but you make it sound like schools completely ignore that score!
That is NOT the case. Schools will only overlook your QR school if it's above a certain point (You can't score a 14 and hope they wouldn't notice your poor performance). Furthermore, your other scores must be fairly competitive and impressive enough for schools to overlook your QR.
If one has average DAT scores and scores awfully low on QR, then that QR score could very well become problematic for him/her.

I was simply saying schools would be more concerned about his/her 17 in gen chem instead of his/her 16 in QR. Wasnt trying to infer that schools completely dont care about QR. With the trend of QR scores lately on SDN, its not surprising to see a 16 in QR.

I had the SAME TEST. It was insane how the Bio was. Completely stuff I never expected. I thought I bombed it, but thank god i did ok. The rest of the test was ok, but man that Bio was Off the wall. Ccheck my post for scores if you want, but I really expected a higher score for chems, but a low Bio, so I am happy. Also, the PAT was weird. I averaged a 26 on CDP but only got a 23 in the real DAT. However, RC was basic, thank god. But I definately feel you on that BIO, thought a retake was in the making. I still have no idea what some of those answers are?? But you will be fine, and good luck with everything.

Thanks for the replies;

ANZ

not trying to hijack this thread but have you done your application yet? i'm trying to come up with an estimate for 4 years of division 1 sports but i really have no idea. what division did you play and how many hours total do you think?

I had the SAME TEST. It was insane how the Bio was. Completely stuff I never expected. I thought I bombed it, but thank god i did ok. The rest of the test was ok, but man that Bio was Off the wall. Ccheck my post for scores if you want, but I really expected a higher score for chems, but a low Bio, so I am happy. Also, the PAT was weird. I averaged a 26 on CDP but only got a 23 in the real DAT. However, RC was basic, thank god. But I definately feel you on that BIO, thought a retake was in the making. I still have no idea what some of those answers are?? But you will be fine, and good luck with everything.

So did the books u used to study not cover the bio q's u had trouble with?

What were the topics that you didn't expect?

I cant say the EXACT thuing, but In AMdrunk and just know in depth neuroscien and endocrinololigy. Best of luck with u and dont be too nervous, I was.....

Yeah QR is kind of low. What sort of method did you use for RC? How did you study for the PAT? You did really well. Good job.