OSUDDS

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
1,160
0
Status
Podiatry Student
Allright... So, I took the DAT this morning at 9 am, which means I had to get up around 7 drive an hour and then wait around and do the BS before the test. PS... I got fingerprinted/mug shot. So, then the fun began.
Bio- not bad, I had a cheetah question, but i think it was about genetic drift, and another about amphibians don't have amnions
Chem-nothing out of the ordinary, a few toughies
OChem-don't really remember... there was a rearrangement that I knew I should've studied
PAT-Seemed harder than the practice I'd seen. Yes the angles are f-ed up, what a joke. Plus I couldn't fold or do top end front end, So i'm guessing I got cube counting and keyholes right with maybe a few hole punches. The hole punches were less fun than I thought they would be
RC- real easy. I don't test well for reading, but the q's were a joke. I had the cancer, financial and parasympathetic/sympathetic q's.
Finance was so easy, I thought they were kidding. There were basic equations such as EPS= net income/avg share outstanding. and then they ask something like if you have this EPS and this many shares outstanding, what is net income... There were a few like this
QR-kind of sucked and I didnt pace myself well. Nothing overly difficult, just the same old stuff you here from everyone else
So, if you made it through that here are my scores and percentiles...
PAT-16 57.6
QR-17 70.8
RC-21 87.7
Bio-20 94.5
GChem-19 82.6
Ochem-19 83.5
TS-20 93.1
AA-19 86.2

So, overall my PAT blows and QR kinda sucks, but I'm happy with the rest... I dunno if I should retake or not. It was a wild trip. Anyway, my summer can now begin.. Peas
 

NDdental

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2006
33
0
Status
Pre-Dental
I would retake if you think you can do better on the PAT. I think 16 is kind of low considering this is one of the 3 main scores they look at (AA,TS,PA).

But it also depends on the other stuff on your app also....If you are confident with your application, don't retake.
 

'11

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2006
154
1
Status
OSUDDS said:
Allright... So, I took the DAT this morning at 9 am, which means I had to get up around 7 drive an hour and then wait around and do the BS before the test. PS... I got fingerprinted/mug shot. So, then the fun began.
Bio- not bad, I had a cheetah question, but i think it was about genetic drift, and another about amphibians don't have amnions
Chem-nothing out of the ordinary, a few toughies
OChem-don't really remember... there was a rearrangement that I knew I should've studied
PAT-Seemed harder than the practice I'd seen. Yes the angles are f-ed up, what a joke. Plus I couldn't fold or do top end front end, So i'm guessing I got cube counting and keyholes right with maybe a few hole punches. The hole punches were less fun than I thought they would be
RC- real easy. I don't test well for reading, but the q's were a joke. I had the cancer, financial and parasympathetic/sympathetic q's.
Finance was so easy, I thought they were kidding. There were basic equations such as EPS= net income/avg share outstanding. and then they ask something like if you have this EPS and this many shares outstanding, what is net income... There were a few like this
QR-kind of sucked and I didnt pace myself well. Nothing overly difficult, just the same old stuff you here from everyone else
So, if you made it through that here are my scores and percentiles...
PAT-16 57.6
QR-17 70.8
RC-21 87.7
Bio-20 94.5
GChem-19 82.6
Ochem-19 83.5
TS-20 93.1
AA-19 86.2

So, overall my PAT blows and QR kinda sucks, but I'm happy with the rest... I dunno if I should retake or not. It was a wild trip. Anyway, my summer can now begin.. Peas
i think you did a good job overall,
so is it true that people say that in the bio section there are a lot of dentailed questions about krebcycle and glycolysis
i did the achiver and i think i saw a question like "what step of krebcycle produces GTP?" and i had no idea...but the GOOD thing was that i could eliminate other choices knowing the starting reactants in the cycle and the other choices were like something that was obviously not the answer (eg 6phosphoglucose...)
 

vize

Member
10+ Year Member
May 8, 2006
210
0
Status
Dental Student
the DAT does not really have 'detailed' questions, although many questions are very wordy. as '11 did with achiever, you are going to have to eliminate choices on the real DAT as well.
 

vize

Member
10+ Year Member
May 8, 2006
210
0
Status
Dental Student
OSUDDS, those are solid scores. remember, your AA is better or equal to 86% of everyone who has taken it! your PAT may be kinda low, but some schools don't even look at PAT. to maximize your acceptance potential, i would think that you should call your top schools and ask them how much weight the PAT holds and if you should retake with your score. good job though and enjoy the rest of the summmmaaa
 

Hopin'

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2006
161
0
Status
Dental Student
OSUDDS said:
RC- real easy. I don't test well for reading, but the q's were a joke. I had the cancer, financial and parasympathetic/sympathetic q's.
Finance was so easy, I thought they were kidding. There were basic equations such as EPS= net income/avg share outstanding. and then they ask something like if you have this EPS and this many shares outstanding, what is net income...
There were a few like this
So, if you made it through that here are my scores and percentiles...
PAT-16 57.6
QR-17 70.8
RC-21 87.7
Bio-20 94.5
GChem-19 82.6
Ochem-19 83.5
TS-20 93.1
AA-19 86.2

So, overall my PAT blows and QR kinda sucks, but I'm happy with the rest... I dunno if I should retake or not. It was a wild trip. Anyway, my summer can now begin.. Peas
These are the exact essays I had on my test last August.... and the weirdest thing is that I had exactly the same score on RC as yours.
Anyways.... I think 16 on PAT kinna sucks, but you may be alright. I had 17 on PAT; I had 16 on QR and GChem and I still survived. Your story, however, might be little different considering competition this year.
Wish you best of luck.... enjoy your summer...
 
OP
OSUDDS

OSUDDS

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
1,160
0
Status
Podiatry Student
[QUOTE='11]i think you did a good job overall,
so is it true that people say that in the bio section there are a lot of dentailed questions about krebcycle and glycolysis
i did the achiver and i think i saw a question like "what step of krebcycle produces GTP?" and i had no idea...but the GOOD thing was that i could eliminate other choices knowing the starting reactants in the cycle and the other choices were like something that was obviously not the answer (eg 6phosphoglucose...)[/QUOTE]
One q did ask what the next step after glucose was in glycolysis and I put 6phosphoglucose... which was kind of a guess...So it was kind of detailed, but nothing overwhelming. Overall it was better than I expected. Like most people say, the Bio was more detailed than Kaplan, and most similar to Schaums. It was pretty easy to eliminate wrong answers, there was nothing overly tricky.
 

ard14

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2006
26
0
Status
Pre-Dental
what is the answer to the amphibian/amnion question? so amphibians don't have amnions, is this true? explanation anyone?
thanks
 
OP
OSUDDS

OSUDDS

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
1,160
0
Status
Podiatry Student
ard14 said:
what is the answer to the amphibian/amnion question? so amphibians don't have amnions, is this true? explanation anyone?
thanks
True... its on some other thread. The amnion is a shock absorber and frogs lay their eggs in water, thus no need for an amnion.
 

'11

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2006
154
1
Status
Hopin' said:
These are the exact essays I had on my test last August.... and the weirdest thing is that I had exactly the same score on RC as yours.
Anyways.... I think 16 on PAT kinna sucks, but you may be alright. I had 17 on PAT; I had 16 on QR and GChem and I still survived. Your story, however, might be little different considering competition this year.
Wish you best of luck.... enjoy your summer...
i agree, some versions are harder than the others on QR...
btw, which school is your top choice (or should i rephrase it to which state are you headed to)?
 
OP
OSUDDS

OSUDDS

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
1,160
0
Status
Podiatry Student
[QUOTE='11]i agree, some versions are harder than the others on QR...
btw, which school is your top choice (or should i rephrase it to which state are you headed to)?[/QUOTE]
I really want to go to Ohio State, I'm from Ohio...

AND PS- I was nervous before the test about QR bc normally I test poorly in it, ie ACT. But, I used the scanning method and it seemed to work.
 

PSUforever

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2006
30
0
Status
Pre-Dental
ard14 said:
what is the answer to the amphibian/amnion question? so amphibians don't have amnions, is this true? explanation anyone?
thanks
Amphibians are anamniotes meaning that they have no extraembryonic membranes which includes the amnion, chorion, and allantois (they do have a yolk sac). The lack of extraembryonic membranes is one of the reasons why these are not land-dwelling animals. Reptiles evolved to develop an amniotic egg which is why they are now land-dwelling. :)
 

aggie-master

Scrub
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2004
794
42
TX
Visit site
Status
Dentist
I took the DAT today too.

PAT 18 - 66.8%
QR 30 - 100%
RC 21 - 76.5%
BIO 21 - 93.5%
GC - 21 - 88.3%
OC - 17 - 54.8%
TS - 20 - 86.9%
AA - 22 - 96.1%

I had a low OC score but I think I'll just ride it out. According to them, it's still better or the same as 54% of the test takers.

I had the amphibian/amniotic egg question too.
 

kokobean

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2006
238
3
California
Status
Dentist
aggie-master said:
I took the DAT today too.

PAT 18 - 66.8%
QR 30 - 100%
RC 21 - 76.5%
BIO 21 - 93.5%
GC - 21 - 88.3%
OC - 17 - 54.8%
TS - 20 - 86.9%
AA - 22 - 96.1%

I had a low OC score but I think I'll just ride it out. According to them, it's still better or the same as 54% of the test takers.

I had the amphibian/amniotic egg question too.
WOAH. you actually got a 30 on something?!? :eek: i'm impressed..
 

cocokeala

katonk!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 30, 2006
118
0
33
california
Status
Dental Student
whoa a 30! id idnt know that was humanly possible!!
 

travos4

julio
10+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2006
7
0
Status
Dentist
Yep so I took the DAT today also, and my score steadily decreased through the sections:

PAT 18 66.8
QR 17 65.6
RC 17 26.3
BIO 22 96.5
GC 20 80.8
OC 25 98.0
TS 22 96.6
AA 20 86.1

I can't stare at those boring reading passages for an hour, I hate that section. I thought I did really well on the PAT, finished with 12 minutes left and went back over alot of them, but I guess I screwed up on something. Probably the angles. The QR was a little more difficult than I had anticipated, but besides that everything was pretty much a little bit easier than the Kaplan tests.
 
OP
OSUDDS

OSUDDS

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
1,160
0
Status
Podiatry Student
So, someone remind me please. Do schools see scores/precentiles, or just scores?
 

Hopin'

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2006
161
0
Status
Dental Student
OSUDDS said:
So, someone remind me please. Do schools see scores/precentiles, or just scores?

just the scores.... they don't care bout percentiles....
 

thehipster

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2006
312
0
NYC
Status
Dental Student
For everyone who took the DAT and posted their scores in this thread, what were you Topscore and DAT Achiever scores?
 

aggie-master

Scrub
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2004
794
42
TX
Visit site
Status
Dentist
thehipster said:
For everyone who took the DAT and posted their scores in this thread, what were you Topscore and DAT Achiever scores?
Achiever:
Test 1 - Bio 16, GChem 18, Ochem 17
Test 2 - Bio 14, GChem 16, Ochem 18
Test 3 - Bio 15 (only answered Bio on this one)

Topscore:
Test 1 - Bio 19, Gchem 17, Ochem 17, RC 21
Test 2 - Bio 20, Gchem 17, Ochem 14
Test 3 - Bio 19, Gchem 18, Ochem 16

Dat scores:
PAT 18 - 66.8%
QR 30 - 100%
RC 21 - 76.5%
BIO 21 - 93.5%
GC - 21 - 88.3%
OC - 17 - 54.8%
TS - 20 - 86.9%
AA - 22 - 96.1%

I only took practice PAT (18) and QR (30) tests once in Kaplan Blue Book and I only took two practice RC tests which were on Blue Book (16) and TopScore (21).