Dat 7/27....done!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ard14

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, here are my scores from earlier today:

PAT 22
QR 22
RC 24
Bio 21
GC 20
OC 21
TS 21
AA 22

so... 22/21/22 overall. i'm very pleased. i've been on this board since the summer began, and have APPRECIATED all the help and advice that has been dispensed. now that i am on the other end, i will do my part and dispense the advice to those pre-DAT. please ask as many questions as you see fit. at my university, i'm a tour guide, so i naturally love answering questions and providing my two cents.

i used achiever and topscore and took the $1,000 kaplan course. all were useful. the achiever reading sections were most like the ones i had. the QR was easy compared to any other test, two simple probabilities, 3 simple trig functions, a lot of solving for x in various ways, and some word problems that were no sweat.

the bio was tricky, simply because it does not ask for you to regurgitate facts, as some of the practice tests do, it tests ur understanding of the facts. i actually marked the first six bio questions just because they caught me off guard and i wasn't 100% sure. i had the urchin question, tho it isn't the hardest of the bio questions. gchem and ochem were alright, i had a lot of ochem reactions and synthesis, which is easy in my opinion b/c it's pure memorization.

the anxiety really caught me off guard. i was completely ready to take the exam content-wise, but i got nervous the night before and morning of and i couldn't sleep and couldn't eat. be ready for this. i am generally not a nervous test taker, i just walk in and take it, but i think it was the months of prep that built it up that made me nervous. i packed fruit and granola bars for my 15 min break, but ended up not eating and just drinking orange juice from the juice boxes i had packed. this is the best advice i can give. taking the real DAT is verrrrry tiring, u'd be surprised, so be sure to pack gatorade or fruit juice or something to give you quick energy. it was key for me.
also, i had the odd fortune of taking a test that wouldn't load. i sat down at my comp, and the dat didn't come up. i moved to another comp, and the dat still wouldn't come up. prometric had to call tech support, and finally, an hour after i sat down, they got the dat to work. this was good in that it gave me time to relax beforehand.
lastly, right when you finish the QR section, a little horizontal bar pops up, like the one u'd see if you were downloading something, that says please wait. u can hear the computer thinking, and once that bar leaves the screen, 45 seconds later, it flashes white. at this time, i closed my eyes, 'cause i knew my scores were on the screen. i opened them and in little font my scores were displayed. then i could breathe.
good luck to all, i know you can do it.

applying: harvard, penn, uconn, bu, tufts, columbia, temple, pitt, maryland, umdnj

gpa: 3.88 overall, 3.82 science

see ya on the other side...

Members don't see this ad.

ard14 said:

PAT 22
QR 22
RC 24
Bio 21
GC 20
OC 21
TS 21
AA 22

so... 22/21/22 overall. i'm very pleased. i've been on this board since the summer began, and have APPRECIATED all the help and advice that has been dispensed. now that i am on the other end, i will do my part and dispense the advice to those pre-DAT. please ask as many questions as you see fit. at my university, i'm a tour guide, so i naturally love answering questions and providing my two cents.

i used achiever and topscore and took the $1,000 kaplan course. all were useful. the achiever reading sections were most like the ones i had. the QR was easy compared to any other test, two simple probabilities, 3 simple trig functions, a lot of solving for x in various ways, and some word problems that were no sweat.

the bio was tricky, simply because it does not ask for you to regurgitate facts, as some of the practice tests do, it tests ur understanding of the facts. i actually marked the first six bio questions just because they caught me off guard and i wasn't 100% sure. i had the urchin question, tho it isn't the hardest of the bio questions. gchem and ochem were alright, i had a lot of ochem reactions and synthesis, which is easy in my opinion b/c it's pure memorization.

the anxiety really caught me off guard. i was completely ready to take the exam content-wise, but i got nervous the night before and morning of and i couldn't sleep and couldn't eat. be ready for this. i am generally not a nervous test taker, i just walk in and take it, but i think it was the months of prep that built it up that made me nervous. i packed fruit and granola bars for my 15 min break, but ended up not eating and just drinking orange juice from the juice boxes i had packed. this is the best advice i can give. taking the real DAT is verrrrry tiring, u'd be surprised, so be sure to pack gatorade or fruit juice or something to give you quick energy. it was key for me.
also, i had the odd fortune of taking a test that wouldn't load. i sat down at my comp, and the dat didn't come up. i moved to another comp, and the dat still wouldn't come up. prometric had to call tech support, and finally, an hour after i sat down, they got the dat to work. this was good in that it gave me time to relax beforehand.
lastly, right when you finish the QR section, a little horizontal bar pops up, like the one u'd see if you were downloading something, that says please wait. u can hear the computer thinking, and once that bar leaves the screen, 45 seconds later, it flashes white. at this time, i closed my eyes, 'cause i knew my scores were on the screen. i opened them and in little font my scores were displayed. then i could breathe.

applying: harvard, penn, uconn, bu, tufts, columbia, temple, pitt, maryland, umdnj

you have the permission to relax and have a life again.
Congratulations!! awesomeawesome scores. you'll definetely get into a good number of schools

Hey congrats on your wonderful scores!! How did you practice for RC? And, what were the topics of your RC passeges?

Thanks a lot.

ard14 said:

PAT 22
QR 22
RC 24
Bio 21
GC 20
OC 21
TS 21
AA 22

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats on your scores :thumbup: , now if i may, i would like to ask you what sea urchin question? its like a notorious question...that people keep mentioning on these forums but never give any info on it. is it in the kaplan test? can you share the prompt of the question? thanx.

I had the comets passage, which was very easy and i finished in 10 minutes. then i had the x-ray passage, which was also very straightforward. a lot of fact-based questions. there were some tough ones like what was the tone of the flnal paragraph: cynical, optimistic, etc... others were like, if you had to add a sentence after the final paragraph, what would it be. then i also had the nmda passage, which was tougher, but i had enough time to work through it. the best thing, tho, was that i marked all the questions i had doubts on, and came back. one of them i switched from wrong to right, i am sure, so it's good to go back and check.

Envision said:
congrats on your scores :thumbup: , now if i may, i would like to ask you what sea urchin question? its like a notorious question...that people keep mentioning on these forums but never give any info on it. is it in the kaplan test? can you share the prompt of the question? thanx.

the question and answer have been mentioned countless times... the answer is "to prevent polyspermy"... no secrets there.

jb!