Dat 7/29/11

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KyoPhan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My first DAT.

PAT: 18
QR: 18
Reading: 18
Biology: 18
Chemistry: 17
OChem: 21
TS:19
AA:19
Overall test experience:
IT LAGS GOING ON TO NEXT QUESTION! What the hell. Calculator lags too. And there was this one chemistry problem that required long division to several decimal points...that was with simplifying too. And no, you couldn't approximate. The numbers were all the same up to the last digit! There was no calculator for this portion.

PAT: Keyhole wasn't to bad. A little bit harder than CPAT. TFE really has gotten harder than CPAT. Learn to visualize the shapes really well is all I have to say. Do not rely on counting lines, or do not rely on knowing where those lines are placed because they will give you 4 questions that are all really similar. You actually have to visualize it now. Angles, I think it's a little easier than CPAT, but just barely. Hole punch was pretty easy I thought, similar to CPAT. Cube count easier than CPAT. Pattern folding prob similar to CPAT.

QR: I'm so sad about this score. I thought I did so well. Math is probably my best subject. I finished the whole thing with like 10 minutes to spare.

Reading: Personally, I don't think crack reading was too similar. But I think crack reading is good for trying out strategies.

Biology: Okay, sorry but I have to rant. This section was so horrible. I studied so much and knew so many processes; none which came up. I pretty much knew all of Cliff's and Kaplan biology. I read people saying that dat destroyer biology was hard. I actually answered most of destroyer's question correctly. And I made sure to know those that I missed. Perhaps it's just my luck, I don't know. I'm a biology major too, sigh.

Chemistry: Wasn't too bad. I thought I did a lot better. Maybe just dumb mistakes.
Ochem: Was really easy. Just know your reactions and general concepts. Desteroy is prob sufficient.

I only got 1 hr of sleep. Couldn't sleep at all(Past 3 days couldn't really sleep)... This never happened before. Stiff neck, I tried to stretch it out, and then heard a pop followed by pain...Had a headache, went to see doctor in morning. Had to run to make it on time(Problem finding the building! Good thing I went 40mins earlier than the recommended 30min). But I don't think those played much of a factor in my results. It was pretty much I knew it or not.

Question:
My dream has been to go to UCLA. I have a overall 3.76 GPA, science GPA is prob around 3.7 as well. Graduating this summer. Have about 200 hours of voluteering to tutor elementary school children. I really want to get into UCLA or atleast these california dental schools. What are my chances, or should I definately retake it?

Thanks and good luck to the rest of you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Good scores man. But to be honest with you, your chances of getting into UCLA are very slim! A good friend of mine had a GPA of 3.82 and a 24AA and he didn't even get an interview there!!!! But he got accepted everywhere else he had applied to. This was 2 years ago though, and they take a lot more in-states than out of states, but still for him not even getting an interview, then I'm not sure if you will land an interview there. And again, I honestly don't mean to burst your bubble or anything like that at all. But I'm sure you will land interviews elsewhere for sure.

Good luck!

I think you still have a shot. 19 AA is pretty solid kiddo... But, a long division calculation for a chemistry problem? Are u sure?

My first DAT.

PAT: 18
QR: 18
Reading: 18
Biology: 18
Chemistry: 17
OChem: 21
TS:19
AA:19
Overall test experience:
IT LAGS GOING ON TO NEXT QUESTION! What the hell. Calculator lags too. And there was this one chemistry problem that required long division to several decimal points...that was with simplifying too. And no, you couldn't approximate. The numbers were all the same up to the last digit! There was no calculator for this portion.

PAT: Keyhole wasn't to bad. A little bit harder than CPAT. TFE really has gotten harder than CPAT. Learn to visualize the shapes really well is all I have to say. Do not rely on counting lines, or do not rely on knowing where those lines are placed because they will give you 4 questions that are all really similar. Angles, I think it's a little easier than CPAT, but just barely. Hole punch was pretty easy I thought, similar to CPAT. You actually have to visualize it now. Cube count easier than CPAT. Pattern folding prob similar to CPAT.

QR: I'm so sad about this score. I thought I did so well. Math is probably my best subject. I finished the whole thing with like 10 minutes to spare.

Reading: Personally, I don't think crack reading was too similar. But I think crack reading is good for trying out strategies.

Biology: Okay, sorry but I have to rant. This section was so horrible. I studied so much and knew so many processes; none which came up. I pretty much knew all of Cliff's and Kaplan biology. I read people saying that dat destroyer biology was hard. I actually answered most of destroyer's question correctly. And I made sure to know those that I missed. Perhaps it's just my luck, I don't know. I'm a biology major too, sigh.

Chemistry: Wasn't too bad. I thought I did a lot better. Maybe just dumb mistakes.
Ochem: Was really easy. Just know your reactions and general concepts. Desteroy is prob sufficient.

I only got 1 hr of sleep. Couldn't sleep at all(Past 3 days couldn't really sleep)... This never happened before. Stiff neck, I tried to stretch it out, and then heard a pop followed by pain...Had a headache, went to see doctor in morning. Had to run to make it on time(Problem finding the building! Good thing I went 40mins earlier than the recommended 30min). But I don't think those played much of a factor in my results. It was pretty much I knew it or not.

Question:
My dream has been to go to UCLA. I have a overall 3.76 GPA, science GPA is prob around 3.7 as well. Graduating this summer. Have about 200 hours of voluteering to tutor elementary school children. I really want to get into UCLA or atleast these california dental schools. What are my chances, or should I definately retake it?

Thanks and good luck to the rest of you.

good job Kyo sorry to hear bout the math i know you helped me a lot and I thank you for that! call UCLA and speak with them and see what the chances are. with your GPA you can def get into a Cali school, the DAT score is about average for most schools but you shine in your GPA (which is valued more than the DAT) Good luck and dont worry you'll get in somewhere! if its mean to be UCLA then it will be, if not then i'm sure it will be another fine institution. Congrats on the hard earned scores!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys. I will definately try to check.

I think you still have a shot. 19 AA is pretty solid kiddo... But, a long division calculation for a chemistry problem? Are u sure?

Positive. I even asked the assistant if there was a calculator! I couldn't believe it. Oh, and they took pretty long to response to my raised hand. I was working out the problem while waiting. I got the answer that matched with one of the choices.

Seems like a pretty bad experience from the get-go, but at least you ended up with a decent score. It's over, so go enjoy your summer.

As for UCLA, it's really tough as Pooyah mentioned. It's my dream school too. =/

Hey Kyoman, sorry you experienced insomnia and had to see the doctor in the morning. Keep your head up. Your GPA is very good and if things don't pan out this cycle, then there's next year and you'll knock out the DAT for sure next time around as it sounds like it can't get any worse than this. You'll definitely get into dental school if not this year.

Here's my UCLA "booger" story lol...

I visited USC (morning) and UCLA (afternoon) in the same day. USC was very accommodating, set up an appointment with me, provided directions beforehand and other info, met with me one-on-one, answered all my questions/concerns, handed me a bunch of brochures, gave me a full tour through the school and basically spent a good special hour with me.

UCLA, on the other hand, didn't offer any tours but said I could still come to visit and give myself a self-guided tour (WTF), so I figured why not, let's give it a try. I showed up to UCLA admissions office and asked the receptionist if I could speak to an Admissions Officer. Some Admissions lady appeared a few minutes later, didn't even invite me back to her office, only sat next to me in the waiting area, answered my questions in quick, short, rapid answer style, showed no interest in me or learning about my background, didn't offer a business card, but only handed me two sheets of paper with a map of the school and locations of various departments/clinics. However, the whole time she had a nice big booger showing in her left nostril and after feeling like a tool during our few minutes of conversation, I was on the verge of telling her about it haha. Of course I couldn't, but I'm sure she realized it later that day and felt like a bigger tool that I was talking to her booger instead of her lol.

Hey Kyoman, sorry you experienced insomnia and had to see the doctor in the morning. Keep your head up. Your GPA is very good and if things don't pan out this cycle, then there's next year and you'll knock out the DAT for sure next time around as it sounds like it can't get any worse than this. You'll definitely get into dental school if not this year.

Here's my UCLA "booger" story lol...

I visited USC (morning) and UCLA (afternoon) in the same day. USC was very accommodating, set up an appointment with me, provided directions beforehand and other info, met with me one-on-one, answered all my questions/concerns, handed me a bunch of brochures, gave me a full tour through the school and basically spent a good special hour with me.

UCLA, on the other hand, didn't offer any tours but said I could still come to visit and give myself a self-guided tour (WTF), so I figured why not, let's give it a try. I showed up to UCLA admissions office and asked the receptionist if I could speak to an Admissions Officer. Some Admissions lady appeared a few minutes later, didn't even invite me back to her office, only sat next to me in the waiting area, answered my questions in quick, short, rapid answer style, showed no interest in me or learning about my background, didn't offer a business card, but only handed me two sheets of paper with a map of the school and locations of various departments/clinics. However, the whole time she had a nice big booger showing in her left nostril and after feeling like a tool during our few minutes of conversation, I was on the verge of telling her about it haha. Of course I couldn't, but I'm sure she realized it later that day and felt like a bigger tool that I was talking to her booger instead of her lol.

It's a good thing she didn't invite you back to her office. Can you imagine what a booger-lady's office would smell like?!

OP: Sorry to hear about your horrible experience, but a 19AA is the DAT of the average matriculant. Congrats on that!

About UCLA, it's an awesome school, heard lots of great things about it. I'm out of state, so I'm not gonna burn money by applying there. They know they are awesome, and people bend over backwards to get in, so they can be jackasses and you still wanna go there. Kinda like a hot girl acting stuck-up. You still wanna do her and hope her personality improves. If an ugly girl acted stuck-up, they don't get the benefit of the doubt.

USC's (University of Spoiled Children) tuition makes your dad sell his house, his balls and do forgettable things at night. I'm sure a lot of people apply there blindly, get accepted, then realize that they don't want their dad to go through all that, and then withdraw. That's why their average matriculant has a GPA of 3.2.

So for UCLA, it's a competitive top-ranked school, while USC is selling an overpriced product. At UCLA, if you're not interested, many highly qualified applicants will be. At USC, they need all the suckers they can get to pay that outrageous tuition.

Congrats on getting that over with!

I'm not disagreeing with most of the posts saying it is difficult to get into UCLA, it is; however, two of my friends both got accepted last cycle with a 19AA and a GPA LOWER than yours. Have amazing extra curriculars, amazing LORs, with a passion filled personal statement and it is definitely possible to get an interview. DAT and GPA are huge, but there are other parts of your application that can help you shine.
good luck:luck:

Good point troy. Applications are more than the DAT and GPA, although those are major factors. You gotta become an attractive candidate in the rest of your app and you can get into the right school even with lower scores than some of your peers.