DAT 8/3/11 Done!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaejae87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys-
I just took my DAT, and these are my scores.

PAT: 26 (99.4%)
QR: 22 (96.4%)
RC: 23 (90.4%)
BIO: 22 (95.8%)
GC: 24 (96.1%)
OC: 22 (88.7%)
TS: 22 (94.8%)
AA: 23 (98.1%)

I believe I should've done a little better, but overall, I'm satisfied, especially with the PAT and RC scores.

Here is the breakdown.

The study materials I used:
DAT Destroyer: Very good. I strongly recommend it.
DAT OC Odyssey: Ehhh, I thought it was a bit overkill. It's a good practice though. Buy it if you have the time and the money.
Crack DAT MATH Ace Edition: CDM is good for timing yourself. The difficulty is.. I'd say, about the same as the real DAT.
Crack DAT PAT Ace Edition: Buy it. Buy it. Buy it.
DAT Achiever: Achiever is the worst representation of the DAT. I was getting 18s and 19s on tests 1, 2 and 3, and 16s and 17s on tests 4 and 5. I knew beforehand that it was hard, but still, it was very... VERY discouraging. I started to panic so much at the end that I wanted postpone the test. Oh, but I loved the PAT section, especially the TFE and pattern folding section. It's very hard. But you really learn how to visualize and not use the cheap "count the line" method, which does not always work.
Cliff's AP Bio: It's one of the must have's. I knew this book from front to back. My DAT was not as random as people say theirs were, but it was as random as this book. Most of the bolded words in the book are a fair game.
MCAT Exam Kracker for Bio and GC: I read these through once. I wanted to review them couple more times, but I just ran out of time.
Kaplan MCAT OC Review: Don't get it if you don't have time. If you want to know the detailed mechanisms and reaction names, get them. But I think the roadmaps in the DAT Destroyer are sufficient. But I only got a 22 in OC.. so.. meh.
5 Steps to a 5 Flashcards: I bought them only because I like to study with flashcards. (I probably made about 2000 flashcards myself) It's a good supplement to the Cliff's AP Bio. They seemed like they could be on the DAT.

Real DAT
PAT:
Key Hole: Definitely harder than CDP. The objects are more irregular and ambiguous. I think it was actually harder than Achiever as well. I guessed on couple but I guess.. I guessed well? lol.
TFE: This was one of my weak points in PAT. On my first time doing it on CDP, I could not even finish on time. Then, I found out about the "line counting method" on youtube. The method was helpful on CDP but not on Achiever. So I practiced practiced and practiced. Soon I was able to visualize not perfectly but enough to get go through each problem in less than a minute. I strongly recommend that you challenge yourself to visualize. Really. It helps not only in this section, but in other PAT sections as well.
Cube Counting: Piece of cake. It is about the same or even easier than CDP. Well... to me, cube counting is just easy. It was easy on CDP and Achiever. I was able to go through this section on CDP in less than 6 minutes and get everything right.
Pattern Folding: I hated this section because it gives me a headache. Thank God it was not that bad in the real DAT.
Hole Punching: I love this section! It's so fun, don't you think? Compared to CDP, the real DAT was harder because some of the problems had complicated folding patterns. CDP will get you a decent score. Master the Achiever, then you will get a great score in PAT.
QR: I graduated with a degree in Electrical Engineering. I thought I was going to breeze through the QR section on my practice tests. But man o man, knowing how to do Fourier transforms and integrals is different from solving algebraic problems. After not having done high school math for four years, I became very rusty on probabilities, trig. identities, etc. I panicked when I got 18s and 19s on Achiever. The problem was.. first of all, I was arrogant. And second of all, I did not practice enough. I believe DAT destroyer does cover all the material you need to know for the test. However, I don't think it has enough problems for you to practice. This is important because once you know all the material, problems are pretty easy and straightforward. What comes down to is how FAST you can analyze and solve the problem. Unless you are aiming for high 20s, don't get caught up with difficult probability problems you see on Achiever. Difficulty-wise, CDP is little bit easier, QR section in Destroyer is about the same, and Achiever is just ridiculous.
RC: English isn't my first language. I was getting 16s and 17s on Achiever. Somebody told me that the minimum score schools require is a 17. So I was expecting a 17. So... I don't know how I pulled a 23 on the real test. The passages were definitely more easy-reading and questions more straightforward. But still.. I think it's a miracle that I got a 23 :)
Bio: People say bio in DAT is very random. But I don't think it is, at least mine wasn't. Yea- there were some questions that made one of my eyebrows go up and think 'wth' but I was not completely unfamiliar with what they were talking about. I had some idea. In fact, I think Destroyer and Achiever are more random. 22 isn't a great score but I'll tell you how I studied. I read through Cliff's AP Bio and solved Destroyer each like three or four times. Meanwhile, I made and reviewed flashcards for every terminology I did not know and questions I got wrong. That's it! hahaha... Yea, it's pretty simple. Repeat.
GC: First of all, GC on Achiever is way harder. My average on Achiever GC section was 18. I even got a 16 on one of the Achiever tests (but I think headache had to do with that). Anyway, the real DAT GC is okay. DAT Destroyer should be enough.
OC: I wanted to do really well on OC (like a 25 well) because my OC professor wrote me a LOR. I studied a lot but I don't know what happened on the test; 22 isn't bad I guess. Again, DAT Destroyer is enough. The roadmaps are really good. If you want more practice, get DAT Odyssey. If you want to know the reaction names and mechanisms behind the reactions.. Google it. Don't get Kaplan MCAT Review because it's not necessary. It's a good book but very unnecessary. Don't panic about OC. Yes, orgo is definitely challenging. But think of it like the QR section. Just like you don't have to know in-depth mathematical proofs behind the Pythagorean theorem, you don't have to know the every little detail behind a Aldol reaction.

That's about it.. I think. Man, I still can't believe that I'm done with DAT. I'm so glad that I don't have to take it again...... or do I? harhar... Anyways, if you have questions, let me know!! I'd love to help, especially those who haven't taken the test yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
YOU BELIEVE YOU SHOULD OF DONE BETTER???? ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! Please tell me you're joking...those scores are GREAT! You must be one of those over achievers!!!! Congrats though! You should be very very proud of yourself!:D:D

hahaha, when you're scoring in the 23s, there's a minor difference between getting a 23, 24, and 25 which is why he thinks he could have done better. no joke.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good job! Doing better isn't necessary, a 23 will help you greatly in your application process.

YOU BELIEVE YOU SHOULD OF DONE BETTER???? ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! Please tell me you're joking...those scores are GREAT! You must be one of those over achievers!!!! Congrats though! You should be very very proud of yourself!:D:D

you will get that feeling based on the test questions you get and the score you see. It really hurts when you get a question that is fairly basic but for some reason you go blank or can't figure it and forced to guess. You wonder if guessed you right and if didn't what would your score be if you had it right.

I'm sure you realize it but 1 question can mean the difference of 1-3 standard score points depending on version.

eventually though you let go and sit back and realize score your great and get back to writing checks.

you will get that feeling based on the test questions you get and the score you see. It really hurts when you get a question that is fairly basic but for some reason you go blank or can't figure it and forced to guess. You wonder if guessed you right and if didn't what would your score be if you had it right.

I'm sure you realize it but 1 question can mean the difference of 1-3 standard score points depending on version.

eventually though you let go and sit back and realize score your great and get back to writing checks.

+1 very true.

Hey Guys-

I believe I should've done a little better, but overall, I'm satisfied, especially with the PAT and RC scores.

Here is the breakdown.

DAT OC Odyssey: Ehhh, I thought it was a bit overkill. It's a good practice though. Buy it if you have the time and the money.
Crack DAT MATH Ace Edition: CDM is good for timing yourself. The difficulty is.. I'd say, about the same as the real DAT.
DAT Achiever: Achiever is the worst representation of the DAT. I was getting 18s and 19s on tests 1, 2 and 3, and 16s and 17s on tests 4 and 5. I knew beforehand that it was hard, but still, it was very... VERY discouraging. I started to panic so much at the end that I wanted postpone the test. Oh, but I loved the PAT section, especially the TFE and pattern folding section. It's very hard. But you really learn how to visualize and not use the cheap "count the line" method, which does not always work.
Cliff's AP Bio: It's one of the must have's. I knew this book from front to back. My DAT was not as random as people say theirs were, but it was as random as this book. Most of the bolded words in the book are a fair game.
MCAT Exam Kracker for Bio and GC: I read these through once. I wanted to review them couple more times, but I just ran out of time.
Kaplan MCAT OC Review: Don't get it if you don't have time. If you want to know the detailed mechanisms and reaction names, get them. But I think the roadmaps in the DAT Destroyer are sufficient. But I only got a 22 in OC.. so.. meh.
5 Steps to a 5 Flashcards: I bought them only because I like to study with flashcards. (I probably made about 2000 flashcards myself) It's a good supplement to the Cliff's AP Bio. They seemed like they could be on the DAT.

Real DAT
PAT:
Key Hole: Definitely harder than CDP. The objects are more irregular and ambiguous. I think it was actually harder than Achiever as well. I guessed on couple but I guess.. I guessed well? lol.
TFE: This was one of my weak points in PAT. On my first time doing it on CDP, I could not even finish on time. Then, I found out about the "line counting method" on youtube. The method was helpful on CDP but not on Achiever. So I practiced practiced and practiced. Soon I was able to visualize not perfectly but enough to get go through each problem in less than a minute. I strongly recommend that you challenge yourself to visualize. Really. It helps not only in this section, but in other PAT sections as well.
Cube Counting: Piece of cake. It is about the same or even easier than CDP. Well... to me, cube counting is just easy. It was easy on CDP and Achiever. I was able to go through this section on CDP in less than 6 minutes and get everything right.
Pattern Folding: I hated this section because it gives me a headache. Thank God it was not that bad in the real DAT.
Hole Punching: I love this section! It's so fun, don't you think? Compared to CDP, the real DAT was harder because some of the problems had complicated folding patterns. CDP will get you a decent score. Master the Achiever, then you will get a great score in PAT.
QR: I graduated with a degree in Electrical Engineering. I thought I was going to breeze through the QR section on my practice tests. But man o man, knowing how to do Fourier transforms and integrals is different from solving algebraic problems. After not having done high school math for four years, I became very rusty on probabilities, trig. identities, etc. I panicked when I got 18s and 19s on Achiever. The problem was.. first of all, I was arrogant. And second of all, I did not practice enough. I believe DAT destroyer does cover all the material you need to know for the test. However, I don't think it has enough problems for you to practice. This is important because once you know all the material, problems are pretty easy and straightforward. What comes down to is how FAST you can analyze and solve the problem. Unless you are aiming for high 20s, don't get caught up with difficult probability problems you see on Achiever. Difficulty-wise, CDP is little bit easier, QR section in Destroyer is about the same, and Achiever is just ridiculous.
RC: English isn't my first language. I was getting 16s and 17s on Achiever. Somebody told me that the minimum score schools require is a 17. So I was expecting a 17. So... I don't know how I pulled a 23 on the real test. The passages were definitely more easy-reading and questions more straightforward. But still.. I think it's a miracle that I got a 23 :)
Bio: People say bio in DAT is very random. But I don't think it is, at least mine wasn't. Yea- there were some questions that made one of my eyebrows go up and think 'wth' but I was not completely unfamiliar with what they were talking about. I had some idea. In fact, I think Destroyer and Achiever are more random. 22 isn't a great score but I'll tell you how I studied. I read through Cliff's AP Bio and solved Destroyer each like three or four times. Meanwhile, I made and reviewed flashcards for every terminology I did not know and questions I got wrong. That's it! hahaha... Yea, it's pretty simple. Repeat.
GC: First of all, GC on Achiever is way harder. My average on Achiever GC section was 18. I even got a 16 on one of the Achiever tests (but I think headache had to do with that). Anyway, the real DAT GC is okay. DAT Destroyer should be enough.
OC: I wanted to do really well on OC (like a 25 well) because my OC professor wrote me a LOR. I studied a lot but I don't know what happened on the test; 22 isn't bad I guess. Again, DAT Destroyer is enough. The roadmaps are really good. If you want more practice, get DAT Odyssey. If you want to know the reaction names and mechanisms behind the reactions.. Google it. Don't get Kaplan MCAT Review because it's not necessary. It's a good book but very unnecessary. Don't panic about OC. Yes, orgo is definitely challenging. But think of it like the QR section. Just like you don't have to know in-depth mathematical proofs behind the Pythagorean theorem, you don't have to know the every little detail behind a Aldol reaction.

That's about it.. I think. Man, I still can't believe that I'm done with DAT. I'm so glad that I don't have to take it again...... or do I? harhar... Anyways, if you have questions, let me know!! I'd love to help, especially those who haven't taken the test yet.

98th percentile and he thinks he should have done better. Sucks to be you.

Hey Guys-

Here is the breakdown.

Real DAT
PAT:

killed it :)

Yea- that's how I'm feeling right now. It wasn't hard, and I felt good while I was taking the test. I was expecting a 23 on Bio and OC. But 22 is good :) I'm happy.

About RC, I did not prepare for it at all. I went through the 5 Achiever tests, and that's about it. I really don't know how I pulled a 23. Lucky me!!

Great score!! Youre finally donee enjoy the rest of your summer you def deserve it!!!

Awesome performance! Very consistent across the board -- schools love that.

I did notice that you didn't use two of the most popular and effective study aids (needless to say, which probably would've netted you more points for sure): Chad's Videos and Math Destroyer. How come you didn't use these materials and opted for some of the other seldom used ones?

How come you didn't use these materials and opted for some of the other seldom used ones?
Engineers....just trying to show up bio majors and be different :rolleyes:

Excellent scores! Thanks for writing a nice breakdown. Interesting that you found Destroyer BIO even more random than the exam.

Maybe theres hope we get a version of the exam that isn't completely out there...

ugh QR is scaring the crap out of me.

Awesome performance! Very consistent across the board -- schools love that.

I did notice that you didn't use two of the most popular and effective study aids (needless to say, which probably would've netted you more points for sure): Chad's Videos and Math Destroyer. How come you didn't use these materials and opted for some of the other seldom used ones?

I didn't get Math destroyer b/c I was confident with math. I thought of getting it at the end when I took my achiever tests and got 18s and 19s, but it was too late.
For Chad's.. I just didn't have time.