DAT AA:19 Should I Retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnnytsunami27

Reaction score
Hey guys, I really need help! My cumulative GPA is a 3.87 and great extracurriculars compared to the average pre-dental student I just took the DAT and I don't know if I should retake it or not. I'm a transfer student from a CC, and am currently attending UCLA with a 3.5 UC GPA being 2 quarters in (So my UC GPA can be bumped higher in the next 2 quarters when I send in the application this cycle) My DAT score is:

PAT:21
QR:18
RC:19
BIO:19
GC:19
OC:19
TS:19
AA:19

I really think I could do better and felt like I did a lot better on this exam while I was taking it and was pretty bummed when I saw this score. Also will it be too late if I took the exam again around mid-June? Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I really need help! My cumulative GPA is a 3.87 and great extracurriculars compared to the average pre-dental student I just took the DAT and I don't know if I should retake it or not. I'm a transfer student from a CC, and am currently attending UCLA with a 3.5 UC GPA being 2 quarters in (So my UC GPA can be bumped higher in the next 2 quarters when I send in the application this cycle) My DAT score is:

I really think I could do better and felt like I did a lot better on this exam while I was taking it and was pretty bummed when I saw this score. Also will it be too late if I took the exam again around mid-June? Any suggestions?
mid-june is not anywhere near "late"

Reactions: 1 user

Are you URM?

gpa is relatively high still and very competitive. 19 AA is around 55%ile or roughly average.

you can get in somewhere especially with great ECs/PS but anything 21+ will open up your options considerably.

depends on if you are confident you can do better, have the time/money to invest into retaking the exam, and if you’re comfortable with your current score/prospects.

I personally would retake it but my personal goals/expectations for myself/situation may be different than yours.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you URM?

gpa is relatively high still and very competitive. 19 AA is around 55%ile or roughly average.

you can get in somewhere especially with great ECs/PS but anything 21+ will open up your options considerably.

depends on if you are confident you can do better, have the time/money to invest into retaking the exam, and if you’re comfortable with your current score/prospects.

I personally would retake it but my personal goals/expectations for myself/situation may be different than yours.
I'm not a URM

I feel that I could have studied a lot more if I studied the same way I was 2 weeks before my exam. I believe I could do better, but just wanted others opinions. Thank you so much for the reply!

People have definitely gotten in with those scores, and your GPA is very impressive. You certainly can re-take it but I don't think it is totally necessary. Only retake if you are CERTAIN you will do better the second time as most schools only look at the most recent score. Best of luck :)

I would focus on getting your app together rather than retaking the DAT for the upcoming cycle. See how you fare first. If you do miserably this cycle, then you could retake to improve your chances. But I think your DAT and gpa combined makes you competitive enough to gain acceptance as long as you apply early (within the first month of the app opening) and broadly (at least 10-12 is/oos friendly schools).

People have definitely gotten in with those scores, and your GPA is very impressive. You certainly can re-take it but I don't think it is totally necessary. Only retake if you are CERTAIN you will do better the second time as most schools only look at the most recent score. Best of luck :)
If I were to retake it mid-June and apply by the end of June, will it take longer or effect the dental school's decision on my application since they won't have my "official" DAT score for another 3-4 weeks from the time I took it?

If I were to retake it mid-June and apply by the end of June, will it take longer or effect the dental school's decision on my application since they won't have my "official" DAT score for another 3-4 weeks from the time I took it?
yes, schools will not consider unoffical scores - they only look at official DAT scores. And applying early is key.
Sorry I'm new to this, what's a WAMC profile?
The WAMC is a separate thread that you fill out, I have attached it here: ► TEMPLATE: How to Format your WAMC Thread ◄

some schools consider your preliminary dat scores, but reserve their right to change their mind if the confirmed scores are different
get printout when you complete the DAT and fax/email it to schools...

I have a similar DAT score and a lower GPA and was accepted to 4 schools this cycle I say go for it! A retake wouldn’t hurt if you know you can score higher however don’t think you don’t have a chance at being admitted somewhere.