SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

DAT Achiever vs. Destroyer

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by bxs023100, May 5, 2007.

1. bxs023100

bxs023100 2+ Year Member

May 5, 2007
    Hi,
    I was wondering which one to buy, the Achiever or the Destroyer.
    I plan to take my test July 2nd (but can always just call and move it a few days)

Thanks for any help!!!

Bushra

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. dEEdEEeSS

dEEdEEeSS

Feb 11, 2007
    using more than one source is the way to go. the more questions you practice and learn, the better. but definitely purchase the destroyer. the solutions section alone kicks ass. some questions are challenging but it really helps you gain strength in those science sections.

hope this helps!

-dee

4. OnlyDrilling

OnlyDrilling 2+ Year Member

Feb 4, 2007
    I agree with deedeeess,the more study materials the better. achiever will give you problems to work on. Destoryer will give you problems to work on and more. Plus not only do i think but i also hear from others that the problems in the destroyer book are great because they prepare you for the actual dat like nothig else. That guy slashnroses took the dat twice in 1 month and said he did better because he went over problems in the destroyer. Its great, because it covers everything you need to know, Good luck studying:luck:

5. ddhm

ddhm 2+ Year Member

Jan 21, 2007
    if you only had money available to invest in one, id say you should go with achiever, since it'll give you practice with taking the test in a computer-based format. plus, it has a much greater difficulty level to the questions all across the sections, with excellent, detailed answers.

6. poc91nc

poc91nc Banned Banned 7+ Year Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Ok...this has been done to the death but here goes....

I have used both....and I found both to be useful...but if I had to choose one, I would definitely go with Destroyer. There really is no substitute for Destroyer. What you have to realize, and this is ESPECIALLY true for chem and ochem...is that ~90% of both subjects can be encapsulated with about 150-200 core questions (for DAT purposes). After that point...the nature of questions seems to repeat itself and is merely one variation of another with slight modifications. The destroyer does an excellent job of bringing together core problems that will serve as a foundation. Once all questions have been fully digested...you will be able to easily approach a wide variety of questions.

Another thing that is important is balance...this is where Destroyer comes in. One thing that I noticed from achiever is that the questions in gchem were heavily biased towards the quantitative end. While being able to rapidly solve quantitative problems is important....overall balance with conceptual/descriptive chemistry is important as well. Achiever gchem lacks so many things that are drilled in the Destroyer. Furthermore, with ochem...there is almost nothing dealing with laboratory analysis, and STEREOCHEMISTRY. Having put in a lot of time studying organic chemistry, I can say that Achiever ochem alone is not sufficient for giving you a wide range of core problems.

Bio is probably the exception where you need multiple guides because it is such a broad area. For the record...I found both achiever biology and destroyer biology to be very helpful.

Now...how do you know if you're comfortable applying what you learned in Destroyer? That is where achiever comes in. To decrease test taking anxiety and to alleviate factors that are independent of exam material (jitters, blanking, format, etc). All in all....achiever is worth buying for the PAT alone!!!

Overall...I'd say that Achiever falls short in serving as a guide...but going through it was an excellent experience. Destroyer on the other hand is multi-dimensional and serves as a broad learning tool and guide as well. Hope this helps.

7. RussianCUB

RussianCUB looking at teeth for life 2+ Year Member

Feb 25, 2007
    east coast
    Obviously as you are able to see there is a ton of material on the market, I would personally say try and get your hands on as much as you possibly can, The More The Better. I think many people would agree with me by saying each source has its own strong point. I feel as though Top Score, Kaplan and Achiever are good and i would classify them as being of equal caliber. If you read about the DAT Destroyer on this network, you will be able to see that students with 24s and 25s used the Destroyer to put the icing on the cake. I would advise you to ghet as much as you possibly with significant consideration of the Destroyer. You are leaving yourself about 2 months to study for the exam so i would get as much as i can. Good luck!

8. evlyann

evlyann New Member 5+ Year Member

Mar 2, 2005
    MA
    If you read previous threads posted by SDNers you will see that the Destroyer is the best comprehensive science review out there. It WILL prep u for the sciences and math, especially bio and ochem. Dr. Romano does a great job of answering the correct questions as well as explaining the incorrect ones. Do yourself a favor and invest the $150 in destroyer. You will NOT be dissapointed. Get achiever only when you master this stuff to test your skills in a test-simulation. Achiever is only a great review for the PAT in my opinion. Ok then best of luck!

9. daiz613

daiz613 2+ Year Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Staten Island, NY
    you'll really see great quality in both the problems and solutions sections of the destroyer. dr. romano helps you understand BOTH the right and wrong answers, so you're better prepared.

like everyone else said...use as many souces as you can, but definitely get the destroyer to master your sections!

good luck...and hope this helps!

10. bxs023100

bxs023100 2+ Year Member

May 5, 2007
    thanks so much guys.
    ya i read all the stuff about destroyer but still wasnt sure bc it is $150.

I have enough experience with the computer aspect of it. kaplan has helped me out enough with knowledge on how to deal with using a computer and not pen/paper.

I'm pretty good with PAT, i've been getting 19-21s on all my practice tests for that section. But my science just wasn't improving.

I think i'll go with destroyer. overall from everyones comments on this and multiple other threads, that would be my best option considering my time.

thanks guys!

11. Law0830

Law0830 Junior Member 2+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2006
    Destroyer has time and time again shown to be a useful source to doing great in the natural sciences. Everyone should give it a try its a 150 dollar investment to your future career.

12. DATClinic4Life

DATClinic4Life 2+ Year Member

Jan 25, 2007
    i think u should buy both since its better to have more information then a little information. if i were u i would buy both..hey think dental school is over 250k. and $200 would would ur chances in gettin into dental school better..hope it helps....