1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

DAT Achiever

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by OrangeStorm, May 15, 2007.

1. OrangeStorm

OrangeStorm Junior Member

Pre-Dental
    Hi,

How did your performances on DAT Achiever indicate your performance on the actual DAT? I just finished all three practice exams. I am not very happy with my scrores. I think it is harder than any other practice exams I have done. But I am pleased with my reading sections. My reading sucked before this. Now I really worry about the science, esp biology. If you'd like to give me some input how you did on DAT Achiever vs. actual DAT, I would really appreciate it.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dhanak

Pre-Dental
    I am going through the same problem. took the dat last year got a AA16, RC20, PAT17, TS15,QR 16. Now after studying kaplan big fat book and destroyer twice, and kaplan notecards, took the first achiever test and got:
    AA 17
    TS 17
    PAT 16
    RC 21
    QR 15

So please tell if you guys think i should reschedule for June 15th? I hear achiever is harder than the original but i also just read that its not always a good idea to retake because the score doesnt go up by much. i have been at home since march and all i do is study and plan to do this until June 15th. comments please?

4. gigit

gigit Banned
    Banned

Ideally, you should strive to reach at least the high teen in each section like 18 or 19 if not any better, with your first attempt on each of Achiever's tests. If you can't make it there, the reports and answer explanations will tell you the reasons. That's where you learn your mistakes, and explore further into your notes, textbooks and other resources you may already have.

I can't comment on OP's case but dhanak will have to work doubly hard on PAT and QR while continuing to improve the rest.

5. littlemissy

Academic Administration
    pretty much the same boat i haven't done the achiever yet took my first practice top score
    AA 20
    TS 20
    PAT 20
    RC 20
    QR 19 (that is with running out of time)

i think it is very possible to take it on june the 15th because you can learn from your mistakes and improve your score. the biggest thing is don't waste your time studying things you know already.

6. lifeisgood

lifeisgood the original

Dental Student
    I never did extrememly well on Achiever. I personally thought Achiever as a whole was harder than the real thing. If you can master PAT on Achiever, the real thing will make you laugh.

7. OrangeStorm

Pre-Dental
    Here is my achiever scores range from:
    Bio 14-16
    GC 15-18
    OC 16-18
    RC 19-21
    QR 21-25
    PAT 16-18

My AA scores for all three are 18.

The first PAT I didn't even finish, but I was interupted twice while I was taking the test. I am not happy with my biology and suprised with reading, because I am usually not good at reading. For QR, I don't like their unit conversion questions.

8. dhanak

Pre-Dental
    thanks u guys! SDN is just great :) achiever QR i ran out of time and PAT i was just so caught off guard, ok then back to studying :)

9. DDSABeach

DDSABeach Got a Dream Go Get it!

Pre-Dental
    I need some advice I took DAT Achiever test and got these scores.

G.Chem - 10
    G.Org. -12
    Bio - 14
    QR -8
    PAT - 16
    RC - 18

EXREMELY LOW I know and I was planning on taking the DAT in Aug. Any great suggestions in how to bring these scores up to 19 in each sections if not better by Aug 30.? Help!

10. Shermanmurman

Non-Student
    Your score is low, but remember you still have over three months to study, With three months your score could improve 8 points or even higher if you are determined. Try not to worry, and just focus your energy into studying. You should have enough time if you study five days a week, and eight hours a day. Good luck

11. issa

issa Senior Member

you need to work on the QR first. i was getting 19+ in dat acheiver QR and got very low QR in the dat. i took the dat last august and the QR section had too many word problems and they were very hard. i can answer almost all dat acheiver's math problems if i had more time but in the real dat i couldn't.
    then focus on general chem and orgo next. dat acheiver's bio is a lot harder and the pat is hard too. the RC is easier so focus on that.

12. OrangeStorm

Pre-Dental
    How would recommend me to study for Biology? I went over each question after the exam, and took notes on the material new to me. I feel I lack a strong background of biology, because the only bio courses I took were Bio I & II and genetics. I refer to Schaum's biology when I need. I am not sure I should go through that book in depth.

GC and orgo, when I looked at the solution, I felt I knew how to do it. But I just couldn't get it right during the exam.

A couple months ago, I felt RC would be the hardest to me, because English is my 2nd language. Now I am wondering how similar the actual RC to the achiever. Honestly, I was happy with an average 20 on RC.

PAT, I believe practice makes perfect. Angles are harder than other books I've used.

QR, I need to refresh my memory on some facts, relations...

Finally, I've scheduled my date to take DAT. It is in 3 weeks. I know I am running out of time, but I really want to make most possible improvement in these three weeks. Thanks for you guys' inputs.

13. DDSABeach

Pre-Dental
    I am VERY determined! I have the time to do this and focus on the DAT dreaming all day and night DAT! thanks for all your encouragement and help.

14. DDSABeach

Pre-Dental
    Thank you for your help and advice I am going to work on all my weak area's first as you have pointed out. QR has always been a weakness for me.