Dat advice please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gnguy005

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone :)

When is the best time to take the DAT?

Here's my situation.. I am a 2nd year and I haven't finished my last series of Ochem yet but I want to take the DAT prep class this summer then take the test in September. I feel that maybe I can teach myself that last series while taking the prep class.. or should I wait till I take the last Ochem series and then take the DAT and thus taking a year off? Some people have been saying that I may be rushing into it and should just take a year off to study. I don't know if I want to take a year off or not.. That last series is all that is stopping me from taking the DAT.. I am trying to decide what is best for me and if I really am prepared to take the DAT in September. I hope you all can give me some thoughtful advice on how you prepared to take the DAT.

Which prep class did you find most helpful?

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm in a similar situation. I was originally going to take the 2 and half months of summer to study, however, I haven't taken any physio or anatomy courses at my school since there's really no way to take them until junior year. A lot of the pre-dental students studied throughout their junior year and then took a very easy course load during their spring quarter. They took that time to study a lot and then take the DAT a little bit after/before the July 1st deadline (some of them recommended to take a full month after spring quarter ends to study). They all got into great schools.

Has anyone else done this, or has anyone else been in a similar situation? Thanks.