DAT advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RUpremed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So I just had a few questions about the DAT. I'm currently a soph. in college, and I was just wondering about how I should prepare for the DAT. I have yet to take Orgo II, but after this is over, I plan on studying this entire summer. I've heard that there are programs offered by Kaplan that help prepare for the DAT, but I'm not sure if its worth the $1,500 or so. In any case, if I do decide to take a kaplan course or something, does anyone have a good idea as to when I should start the course (i.e. this summer, OR a few months before taking the exam?). Any other advice on how I should study for the DAT, whether its by taking a prep course or by independent studying would be greatly appreciated.

cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

So I just had a few questions about the DAT. I'm currently a soph. in college, and I was just wondering about how I should prepare for the DAT. I have yet to take Orgo II, but after this is over, I plan on studying this entire summer. I've heard that there are programs offered by Kaplan that help prepare for the DAT, but I'm not sure if its worth the $1,500 or so. In any case, if I do decide to take a kaplan course or something, does anyone have a good idea as to when I should start the course (i.e. this summer, OR a few months before taking the exam?). Any other advice on how I should study for the DAT, whether its by taking a prep course or by independent studying would be greatly appreciated.

cheers.

if you're pre-med and have taken all the required courses, you should be able to study on your own. you might consider just getting the kaplan books and studying on your own. after you study all the material, just take a bunch of practice tests with TopScore Pro CD

http://www.scholarware.com/products-dat.htm

good luck! there are TONS of threads on "how to study for the DAT" on this forum, so just search

i suggest studying for at least 2 months straight during the summer and taking it right after studying. once you start your junior year in the fall, you will get busy etc...

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard from a couple of friends that the actual classroom time is a joke, but that the materials they provide online are priceless. Then again, you can probably learn just as effectively by buying the Kaplan DAT book from your local bookseller, supplementing it with CDP/destroyer/achiever/etc and reviewing the subjects by yourself.

The actual kaplan course was a total joke. The majority of the class we would be sitting in silence because no one wanted to talk and our teacher didn't want to teach. The only thing good about the course were the online resources, but now I have neither and have been studying materials that have been recommended on SDN and feel much more prepared.