DAT & Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oasis008k

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The AADSAS opens on June 1st, so I decided to take the DAT on June 6th.
I heard that it takes 2 weeks for your DAT scores to be verified.
I plan on completing my application the first day it opens, and I heard that takes a few weeks to be verified.

Should I wait two weeks after I take my DAT to submit my whole application?

How does your application get verified? Can you get certain sections of your application verified like your grades and recommendation letters while you wait for your DAT scores to be confirmed?

Is there a limit to how many letters of rec you could upload to your application?

After I submit my application to my chosen dental schools, if I get a great opportunity in the summer can I edit my application and put it on there or will I have to email the admissions office to let them know?

Members don't see this ad.

No. Submit the application asap. It will process in 4-6 weeks while you take the DAT. Your DAT will take another 2-4 weeks to process.

You can only update the academic portion of your application from Nov-Feb. You will need to email schools regarding anything else.

No. Submit the application asap. It will process in 4-6 weeks while you take the DAT. Your DAT will take another 2-4 weeks to process.

You can only update the academic portion of your application from Nov-Feb. You will need to email schools regarding anything else.

thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad :)

So once you submit you can't update anything else but the DAT? Or does the DAT just update automatically?

Hey buddy,
But if I take my DAT after I submit how I do I know what colleges I should apply to? I wouldn't have an holistic view....

Take your DAT first, then decide on schools, then apply. Meantime, get the other stuff for AADSAS going, like LoRs, personal statement, transcript request forms, etc.

Take your DAT first, then decide on schools, then apply.
That's gonna take too long. I don't understand why people say submit everything first before you take the DAT even you don't know what the DAT score is gonna be..

That's gonna take too long. I don't understand why people say submit everything first before you take the DAT even you don't know what the DAT score is gonna be..
You can pick a school you for sure want to apply to and then submit to get the process started. After you take the DAT, you can add in the rest of your schools.

You can pick a school you for sure want to apply to and then submit to get the process started. After you take the DAT, you can add in the rest of your schools.
You can update schools after you submit? Just can't update the academic part until November right.

You can update schools after you submit? Just can't update the academic part until November right.
You can't update anything except the academic part (classes).

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah you can add schools at anytime. I actually added MWU AZ in late October after submitting my original app in July

And other than changing schools, the only thing you can change once you submit is your academic update in November.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah you can add schools at anytime. I actually added MWU AZ in late October.

And other than changing schools, the only thing you can change once you submit is your academic update in November.
So let's say I apply to my 2 in-state schools and submit. Then take the DAT 2 weeks later. Then if I get a 25 or an 18 I can adjust any other schools I might want to apply to cover my ass. How long will that take to process, or is it instant?

So let's say I apply to my 2 in-state schools and submit. Then take the DAT 2 weeks later. Then if I get a 25 or an 18 I can adjust any other schools I might want to apply to cover my ass. How long will that take to process, or is it instant?
It's instant. Your app won't even be mailed out yet because it takes 4-6 weeks to verify your GPA and then about another week for it to get mailed.

It's instant. Your app won't even be mailed out yet because it takes 4-6 weeks to verify your GPA and then about another week for it to get mailed.
Mailed to schools? If it gets mailed to schools then how it is instant when I add more schools later on during the cycle?

Mailed to schools? If it gets mailed to schools then how it is instant when I add more schools later on during the cycle?
"Mailed" is an aadsas term. No snail mail. They just get updates pushed to them every Friday and it's referred to as "mailing."

So instant right?

Gosh Biotic, you're making me look bad. Here you are already planning out AADSAS mail-out dates, and I have yet to finalize my school list (I have ~4-6 schools in flux that I may or may not apply to, depending on several factors that are out of my control at the moment). I also got some sad news about my personal statement (an editor hated it), so I need to redo that...

I like your ambition.

Gosh Biotic, you're making me look bad. Here you are already planning out AADSAS mail-out dates, and I have yet to finalize my school list (I have ~4-6 schools in flux that I may or may not apply to, depending on several factors that are out of my control at the moment). I also got some sad news about my personal statement (an editor hated it), so I need to redo that...

I like your ambition.
I'm more behind than you. Just thinking ahead,

I'm super confused as to how the whole application process works... I signed up for the adea website but they said I will have to Do the re-applicant portion (I've never applied to any schools).

I have my LOR's set up with appropriate teachers and 2 dentists for the adea site. Plus 2 more dentists for calling/email their alum schools. I am just trying to get now a LOR from a spiritual advisor.

I have already sent 1 school an unofficial transcript (after it had been requested). With a consultation interview with the dean of admissions on Thursday.

My personal statement is ready and my transcript should be hard to request. I just have I figure out how to input everything else within the application. I wish we could have started filling out portions already.

So instant right?
Adding schools to your list is instant. If your application is submitted and verified, then it'll get mailed out the end of the week to your new schools. If it's not verified, then you need to wait until it is and then it'll get mailed the end of the week.

I'm super confused as to how the whole application process works... I signed up for the adea website but they said I will have to Do the re-applicant portion (I've never applied to any schools).

I have my LOR's set up with appropriate teachers and 2 dentists for the adea site. Plus 2 more dentists for calling/email their alum schools. I am just trying to get now a LOR from a spiritual advisor.

I have already sent 1 school an unofficial transcript (after it had been requested). With a consultation interview with the dean of admissions on Thursday.

My personal statement is ready and my transcript should be hard to request. I just have I figure out how to input everything else within the application. I wish we could have started filling out portions already.
The application process is very simple.

The application opens in june.
Send AADSAS your transcripts.
Fill it out.
Pick which schools to apply to.
Pay the application fee.
Do secondaries (if the schools you apply to have them.) and pay the secondary fee.

Watch your email for an interview invite.

You're obviously well ahead of the game.
It's a stressful process but don't worry about it. Interviews don't start for another 4 months.
You'll be ok.