Dat bio section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys what do you suggest to absolutely KO the bio section?

Members don't see this ad.

haha if your crazy enough like sfoksn.... read the ENTIRE campbells...

sfoksn used to read like 200 pages a day... he got 100% of the biology

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't taken the real DAT, but I hear Kaplan is nice for a good overview. Anything you come across that wasn't specifically covered in kaplan can be found on the internet or in your biology text.

I think DentalWorks hit it on the head.. just know these books front and back. Yes, the biology test has a few concepts that should reappear in every DAT test (photosynthesis, cellular respiration, hormones) however there's going to be many other questions that are just a random concept from some topic in biology. In being random I'm not saying you shouldn't know it or it doesn't matter but it's just hard to point out where that question is going to be coming from.. to combat this, it's pretty simple-- know everything.

I spent about 5 months learning everything I could about biology and now I try to read about 100 pages of biology material each day-- not skimming but actually reading the stuff. Obviously since I already know it, I am reading through everything fast but I still take the time for it to register. I think this helps you realize the areas you are still experiencing some trouble with. I have KBB and Cliff's AP Bio that I use for reading. I alternate in reading each book and then combine them both and go through their respective sections together to see how they are teaching it differently and also pick up any information the other left out. Both books leave out important information however their counterpart always seems to pick up the slack.

I also have the Cliff's AP Bio flash cards and I highly recommend these. I have them sorted out into each chapter and any extra chance I get when I have just a few extra minutes, I try to go through a chapter. These are good in that they do present a lot of extra details that the actual book never covered. I also take a few chapters worth of cards with me when I go for a run (indoor track of course).

Kaplan sucked for me last year.

I would make sure you memorize the glossary of Campbells. That alone will probably net you 4-5 questions.

I thought that there was a general consencus of campbell's bio being bad and having many errors? If not, I want to get this book. I did a search on Amazon but am not sure if I'm finding the correct book. Can someone verify that this is the right one:

My Amazon Search

Thanks.

I thought that there was a general consencus of campbell's bio being bad and having many errors? If not, I want to get this book. I did a search on Amazon but am not sure if I'm finding the correct book. Can someone verify that this is the right one:

My Amazon Search

Thanks.

Yup thats it, you can even get an older addition. The one i have been looking thru is like 4-5 years old. this will probably be alot cheaper. hey did you find those flash cards for cliffs online, or were they a product of your intense study plan of cliffs back in the winter?

Yup thats it, you can even get an older addition. The one i have been looking thru is like 4-5 years old. this will probably be alot cheaper. hey did you find those flash cards for cliffs online, or were they a product of your intense study plan of cliffs back in the winter?

Is this a textbook or a summary like Cliffs & KBB? It seems more like a textbook to me and at that price I would think it has to be..

The flashcards are from Cliffs. Here they are on Amazon.

As for my intense study plan.. Here's the story.

And to the OP.. I guess if you really wanted to KO the bio section, you could wander down the long, dark and lonely trail that I took.

Is this a textbook or a summary like Cliffs & KBB? It seems more like a textbook to me and at that price I would think it has to be..

The flashcards are from Cliffs. Here they are on Amazon.

As for my intense study plan.. Here's the story.

And to the OP.. I guess if you really wanted to KO the bio section, you could wander down the long, dark and lonely trail that I took.

Yes, it is a big nasty text. Usually for biology I or II.

Yes, it is a big nasty text. Usually for biology I or II.

Is it any better than a different intro bio textbook? I have my the introductory biology text that my university uses on PDF so I don't want to go back to a hard copy lol.. it makes studying very easy (search function).

I also saw that there is a Campbell's study guide. Anyone have experience with this?

the study guide has a chapter review and then a bunch of multiple choice questions. just took it off my bookshelf and checked for the first time :p seems like it could potentially be useful to my studies..hmm

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys what do you suggest to absolutely KO the bio section?

Kaplan's stuff is no where near comprehensive. I would suggest reading your entire bio book if you want to KO it, but from what I hear Cliff Notes AP Bio is suppose to be pretty good.

intro to bio book is most likely fine. i didn't study at all honestly but i got good grades and internalized what i learned over the course of my undergrad career. i would recomend some hard core internalization sessions over the course of 6 months. don't just read, make flash cards for ever key word you come across and even conceptual things as well. do this for a half hour every night and then maybe for an hour go through the flash cards so that all the info you have been picking up over the months is refreshed in your mind daily. any old book will do, the book doesn't mater.

also read Alanan's notes ;)

:thumbup:

Alan's notes, Cliff's AP Bio, and wikipedia to clear up a few details got me a 22 on Bio. When it comes to bio, they can ask you almost anything, and chances are you'll get a couple questions on things you didn't come across when studying. There's a huge amount of stuff they could ask but a relatively small number of questions, so there is some luck involved.

Bio is important since it's weighted more, but don't neglect the chemistry sections. The material for gen chem and orgo is more limited, and those are the easiest sections to raise your scores.

My Amazon Search

Thanks.

Avery,

You can pick up THAT SAME BOOK (but used) for like $30-40 off of ebay (thats what I did)

By the way, I forgot where I read this, but my underestanding is that ALL the biology questions of the real DAT come from the campbells biology text