DAT Biology Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predent2151

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, didn't have anything better to do so I figured I might try and help some people with the most stressful part, at least for me, of the DAT. A lot of students struggle with biology so I just wanted to try and break it down for y'all.

Resources (in order of importance)
1) Alan's Notes
2) Cliffs AP bio
3) Destroyer
4) YouTube

For a lot of students, including myself, this thought comes into there head, "I'm a biology major so I should be good with this section, won't have to study that much."

THIS IS A TRAP!
Yes, we have all taken gen bio. For very few of you your classes may have covered all of the topics on the DAT but for the vast majority your classes did NOT.

So I will give some advice on how to achieve certain scores.

To achieve a 17-18. Don't study and rely on undergrad biology courses. You will most likely know the very broad questions that are easy and make up about 20 or so questions on the DAT.

To achieve a 19-20. Read cliffs or Barron's AP biology a few times. A lot of people make the mistake of studying for biology passively by saying I'll just read a chapter of cliffs everyday for a month and then be set for the DAT. This is fine if you want a decent DAT score but is not sufficient to blow it out of the water.

To achieve 21-22 I highly recommend the following steps:
1) read cliffs AP bio twice. One chapter a day taking time to digest all of the information. After finishing cliffs take a week or two to really learn your notes. Take notes on things you don't know not what you do!
2) about 2 weeks before the exam read Alan's notes, 10 pages a day, and take DAT BC tests. Make sure to go over solutions.
3) then the last 3 days before your exam review your notes
You will be set for a pretty good biology score.

To score 23+
1) read cliffs 3 times each times one chapter at a time taking good notes (should take about a month)
2) review your notes for about 2 weeks hammering them in
3) biology destroyer! Do 75 questions a day so it'll take 8 days to finish this. Do this 3 times. Know destroyer inside and out! It'll serve as a biology review and will give you the answers to the "odd" questions that could appear on the exam. This will take about 3 weeks.
4)Take a week to go through the DAT BC tests.
5) Alan's notes. By this time you should be good for biology. Refresh your memory of everything by reading 15 pages of Alan's notes a day for about 2 weeks before the exam. This should get you through everything about 4 times right before your exam.

YOURE READY TO SLAUGHTER DAT BIO!

This is approximately 2.5-3 month biology schedule to make sure you ace this section.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Feralis notes are excellent. I read them but they're daunting. You can use those in substitution for Alan's if you want they're very extensive and thorough

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thank you for your tips. what videos on youtube do you recommend?
when you put all of these tips, did you forget about the rest (chemistry,math, pat, RC)
Do you mean we read one chapter a day plus all of these others?
or do we devote our time to almighty Bio alone?

I used a variety of resources for videos I liked Bozeman science and stuff from McGraw hill.

Everyone seems to have come to the consensus that chads videos and destroyer cover chemistry, math destroyer covers qr and bootcamp covers PAT and practice tests.

I meant to do those in order of how they're listed. Each day has about 2-3 hours worth of biology leaving plenty of time for the rest of the sections.

Spending all your time on bio would be idiotic, of course you should study for the other section. Biology tends to be the most daunting section because of how wide ranging the questions can be. I had a question about teeth in reference to taxonomy as well as question on human a/p, plants, cell biology, and evolution. Just trying to help.

Reactions: 1 user
I used a variety of resources for videos I liked Bozeman science and stuff from McGraw hill.

Everyone seems to have come to the consensus that chads videos and destroyer cover chemistry, math destroyer covers qr and bootcamp covers PAT and practice tests.

I meant to do those in order of how they're listed. Each day has about 2-3 hours worth of biology leaving plenty of time for the rest of the sections.

Spending all your time on bio would be idiotic, of course you should study for the other section. Biology tends to be the most daunting section because of how wide ranging the questions can be. I had a question about teeth in reference to taxonomy as well as question on human a/p, plants, cell biology, and evolution. Just trying to help.

Thank you so much. I was afraid that I would need to study bio alone for 2.5 months to get good scores. Needless to say, I am not a big fan of bio :p

Yeah studying bio for the DAT really blows. I studied for about a month and got a 22 bio and was VERY happy.

I just started studying for the DAT, and reading through cliffs AP bio is awful right now lol. It's so nice to have chad's videos for the chemistry sections, I'de much rather watch those than read ...

I have taken all of first year bio, genetics, ecology and some biochem, so I have a decent background but I tend to forget all the course material after the final lol...

For me I studied anatomy more than anything I felt like. But I would just read through cliffs and if I got to a section I didn't know I'd watch a video on it take notes and learn it and then keep moving through cliffs

For me I studied anatomy more than anything I felt like. But I would just read through cliffs and if I got to a section I didn't know I'd watch a video on it take notes and learn it and then keep moving through cliffs

Anatomy? That's odd I'm pretty sure they don't ask artery supplies a particular muscle, or point to pictures to ask the name of the muscle. I don't think they test anatomy.