Dat Bootcamp GC Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedHopeful234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone please help explain this:
An aqueous solution of potassium chloride is heated from 20C to 60C (no vaporization occurred). Which of the following occurs while the solution is being heated?

Answer is: The molality of the solution stays constant

The explanation was that the volume for the solution increased due to thermal expansion.

I just don't get it. From what part of the question did the answer even indicate any change in volume??? It's a solution, not a gas. So why would there be a change in volume?

Members don't see this ad.

Consider when you use a thermometer, what happens to the liquid inside as the temperature gets warmer?

That makes sense if I knew it was in a closed container... I thought of it more like boiling water with KCl in it on a stove and when I do boil water usually it doesn't rise so I didn't really understand what the question was getting at (other than the bubbles, which technically are not the liquid... they go away)...

Did I think of it incorrectly?

It does rise, albeit a very small amount to the point where you likely wouldn't notice. It doesn't matter if its enclosed or not, the liquid would expand if heated, which is the crux of the problem. Now you know!

It does rise, albeit a very small amount to the point where you likely wouldn't notice. It doesn't matter if its enclosed or not, the liquid would expand if heated, which is the crux of the problem. Now you know!

Awesome thanks so much!!

Also really quick question... Does DAT Bootcamp not save your scores on your tests? I want to go over my tests after taking a break but I want to save them... I wasn't sure how.