DAT Bootcamp Help (2 weeks away from exam)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

modernfam

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am scheduled to take my exam in two weeks and I am terrified. I keep taking these practice exams and while my orgo and gen chem score is somewhat improving (Still not at the score I want) I keep getting 16s-17s, I am extremely worried about bio as it fluctuates a lot. I have taken exams where it'll be anywhere from a 14-19, I just took the bio practice test #6 and its literally my lowest score at 14 :(. I keep reviewing but idk what to do anymore. I figured to just continue doing practice exams as that's what everybody keeps telling me but even with review of the practice exams I don't seem to necessarily improve on the next test. I also use dat destroyer and while I understand their questions, I don't seem to understand why my scores on bootcamp are not improving. I see other people getting 23-24 and I'm just distraught at this point. Has anyone had this same experience? I really don't want to reschedule as I have already rescheduled in the past and I don't want to keep pushing it. Plus, I already told a dentist that I can shadow him after I take the dat so I feel like I need to do well 1st time around to prevent anymore wasted time. Any advice would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Being nervous is perfectly normal but I wouldn't recommend taking the DAT unless you're ready. If you're scoring 16-17, postponing the exam should be a serious consideration.

I think the bigger issue is that you're focusing too much on the practice tests, that's not what's going to get you a high score. You need to review your concepts and master them if you're still scoring 16-17. One advice I read somewhere was: - Don't move on from a concept until you fully understand it. Seek out several videos on the concept and watch them until you feel comfortable with it. I think you need to be doing this.

If you aren't already, you need to study actively not passively. Engage with the material any way you want. Coming up with analogies, mnemonics, or just plain relating a new concept to some other concept are all ways to do that. The more connections you make, the better.

Also nothing wrong with rescheduling. Remember that if you do poorly and need to retake, you need to wait 90 days. If time is a concern, rescheduling until you are ready is a better bet.

Reactions: 1 user
Step away from the timed test for now, it appears they are doing more harm than good. I call it the timed test "merry go round", so take a break and that will calm you down. There is not a practice exam available that can accurately predict what you will get on test day. I have seen students score higher and lower than test result predicted. You mentioned you were using the DAT Destroyer, if you can complete ALL the work in the DAT Destroyer and feel comfortable with the work you should be able to handle what comes your way on test day, but you most do the book at least once and more than once if time allows.

I know you don't want to reschedule but I would suggest you do until you feel more confident, if you don't feel ready for the test, you aren't, listen to your intuition.

Hope this makes sense and if you have more questions, just ask.

Nancy, co/owner/ DAT Destroyer