DAT Bootcamp Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

captainGrape

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
14. N2(g) + 3H2(g) ⇌ 2NH3(g) ; ΔH° = -92.22 kJ•mol-1


Which change would decrease the Keq in the above reaction?

Options:

  • A. Adding an iron catalyst.
  • B. Decreasing the volume of the vessel.
  • C. Injecting H2 gas.
  • D. Cooling ammonia gas into a liquid.
  • E. Increasing the temperature.
I chose that cooling ammonia gas into a liquid would change Keq. I realized after that only temperature can change Keq; but what stumps me is that if we cool NH3 to a liquid the Keq = 1/([N2]([H2]^3)) and that completely changes the equilibrium constant equation; so I don't really understand why this wouldn't be an answer as well.

My reasoning was that 1/[N2][H2]^3 would have a large denominator and would be much smaller than [NH3]^2/[H2]^3[N2]. But not sure and I've tried checking other resources but I can't find anything that specifically addresses this question.

Thanks in advance for the help!
 
Hi! thanks for your answer; just in case you were wondering, or if anyone else was wondering; someone answered my question.

While we cooled ammonia to a liquid, the overall equation for Keq is actually still the same (it still makes ammonia gas); thus, the change into ammonia liquid just makes the equilibrium shift right, which simulates taking products out of solution 🙂
 
Hi! thanks for your answer; just in case you were wondering, or if anyone else was wondering; someone answered my question.

While we cooled ammonia to a liquid, the overall equation for Keq is actually still the same (it still makes ammonia gas); thus, the change into ammonia liquid just makes the equilibrium shift right, which simulates taking products out of solution 🙂

Lul thanks for following up . Can't believe I neglected the part about forming more ammonia gas. Fuark , crazy how much you can forget after the dat

Best of luck with the rest of your studying
 
14. N2(g) + 3H2(g) ⇌ 2NH3(g) ; ΔH° = -92.22 kJ•mol-1


Which change would decrease the Keq in the above reaction?

Options:

  • A. Adding an iron catalyst.
  • B. Decreasing the volume of the vessel.
  • C. Injecting H2 gas.
  • D. Cooling ammonia gas into a liquid.
  • E. Increasing the temperature.
I chose that cooling ammonia gas into a liquid would change Keq. I realized after that only temperature can change Keq; but what stumps me is that if we cool NH3 to a liquid the Keq = 1/([N2]([H2]^3)) and that completely changes the equilibrium constant equation; so I don't really understand why this wouldn't be an answer as well.

My reasoning was that 1/[N2][H2]^3 would have a large denominator and would be much smaller than [NH3]^2/[H2]^3[N2]. But not sure and I've tried checking other resources but I can't find anything that specifically addresses this question.

Thanks in advance for the help!
E is d answer.