1. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

DAT Breakdown! 08/14/15

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by Yaboykap, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Yaboykap

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hey guys! I just want to give a shoutout to everyone who has taken the time to post DAT breakdowns and has given advice on how to conquer the DAT! SDN was a great resource I used to read posts on previous experiences with the DAT. Another shoutout would be to Ari, Chad, and Dr. Jim Romano for their amazing study tools for the DAT! I know my scores aren't as amazing as other people's scores, but I just felt like I should give back to SDN for helping me out during my preparation for the DAT. With that said, here are my scores:

PAT: 23
    QR: 17 ...
    RC: 19
    Bio: 21
    GC: 24 [​IMG]
    OC: 23
    TS: 22
    AA: 21

Study Plan: I studied about 2 months for this exam total. I started the first week of June, but I was at this summer program called SMDEP for 6 weeks (let me mention that this is an amazing medical/dental program which was an unbelievable experience). I studied there for about 4 hours a day because we had to do other program things in the daytime. I did end up studying around 8 hours a day after I got back for about a month before the exam which was crucial for me. I'm a kinesthetic learner so I made sure I split up my studying time evenly throughout the day! I did use DAT Bootcamp's study schedule with a slight modification towards the last few weeks where I focused on my weaker areas and just kept on practicing. (On a side note, Crack DAT Science was not helpful at all to me. The questions were so random and vague which was destroying my confidence in the sciences. I would not use it at all because there are tons of better resources for practice bio/gen chem/orgo problems).

Biology: The things I used to study for Bio were the AP Barrons Biology book (or Cliff's), the DAT Destroyer, DAT Bootcamp, and Feralis's bio notes. I personally used Barron's biology because it had really good charts and diagrams, but Cliffs (which there's an online pdf of) has certain depth on subjects which I feel is also needed along with Feralis's bio notes. Just remember the scope of the bio section is more breadth than depth. I made about 500 flash cards on all of the bio subjects, but as I got really familiar with some of them, I would recycle them and make new ones with new information. DAT Destroyer is simply amazing!! I don't know what I would've done without it! I went through the entire thing 2 times and made sure I knew all of the information in it. It is extremely valuable for all of the sciences in my opinion. The questions in DAT Bootcamp were wonderful and a great source of information as well! I got some really weird worded questions on my section about reproduction which I hated lol

GC: I was super surprised this was my best section! One word: Chad. I cannot thank Chad enough for his videos. They were by far the best resource I used to re-learn chem and orgo. He has a really unique style to teaching which I loved and everything he teaches is easy to learn! I would definitely invest in his videos because a lot of the questions on this section were worded the same way as his quizzes. Surprisingly the questions were very straightforward and the calculations were really simple. DAT Destroyer was again amazing for this section because it makes sure you understand each topic very well. A lot of the questions on the DAT are conceptual so make sure you know the fundamentals!

OC: I just came off a year of organic chemistry, so it was pretty fresh in my head while I was studying for it this summer. I used Chad and DAT Destroyer again and both are all you need! Chad helps you learn the information, and DAT Destroyer reinforces the information with hundreds of practice problems. The problems in this section were very similar to the less challenging/simple orgo questions in the destroyer and the road maps for the reactions are really helpful as well! I feel the most important thing for Orgo was really understanding the reactions and basic principles because they'll test you on all of it. Though the DAT Destroyer has several challenging orgo problems, they're good to help really understand specific topics better.

PAT: Crack DAT PAT and Bootcamp! DAT Bootcamp also helped me out with tons of practice exams! Crack DAT PAT is a little bit easier than the real exam, but nonetheless it's great practice. DAT Bootcamp was on par with the more difficult questions on the PAT. However, the real PAT is all varied. You'll get some laughable easy problems, and some ridiculously hard problems... but with practice this section can be conquered! DAT Bootcamp generators are amazing and really great practice as well. Angle ranking was really similar to the real bootcamp exam angle problems.

.....and here come the lowest of my scores :(

RC: I don't know what happened and I'm pretty bummed out too. I did really well on Bootcamp RC and I used Crack DAT Reading (averaging a 21 for RC) for more practice, but I just got difficult passages to read. One was insanely in depth on subatomic particles which just blew over my head lol. Anyways, the best advice in this section would be to simply read and practice. The questions asked in this section are very very very similar to Bootcamp RC style. Find which strategy works best for you because some strategies may or may not work for you even though it may have worked for other people! Practice is the best way to find out!

QR: Biggest mistake I made was not buying Math Destroyer. I'm really dumb for not buying it and I think my score would've been higher if I had used it. I barely studied for this section which is why I tanked it, but I had it coming with the little amount of prep. I've honestly never been good at math, my brain just doesn't work that way, but anyways Bootcamp QR was really difficult for me and no matter how much I practiced I could never beat a 20. Probably shouldn't take any advice from me in this section except for the fact that if you want higher than a 17... Math Destroyer is important!

Here's a breakdown of my TopScore scores on all 3 exams:

1) Bio/GC/OC/TS/PAT/RC/QR/AA
    21 / 17 / 19/ 19 / 23 / 22 / 19 / 19

2) Bio/GC/OC/TS/PAT/RC/QR/AA
    18 / 18 / 25 / 19 / 23 / 29 / 20 / 22

3) Bio/ GC/OC/TS/PAT/RC/QR/AA
    20 / 19 / 28 / 21 / 25 / 21 / 20 / 21

My DAT Bootcamp scores were on average a 20-21 per section. I never kept track of the scores but I never beat a 22 for any of the science sections. For Bootcamp, don't worry about the scores, as Ari also mentions, just stay focused on learning/practicing the material and seeing which subjects/topics are weaknesses.

TopScore helped build up my test endurance, and I ended up doing similar to those AA. However, the RC was so easy because all the questions are easy search and destroy. The real RC asks you a good amount of comprehension questions based on the passage as well which Topscore RC never did. I did a lot better on my real DAT than those practice science scores, so don't worry too much about the scores you get on the science section. Be confident and it'll all be okay! :)

In conclusion, I was pretty satisfied with my overall score, but I'm going to talk to my pre-dental advisor to see if I should re-take the DAT because of my low RC/QR scores. I'm still a rising Junior so I'm not going to apply until next year. I feel like the best mindset for studying is you'll get out what you put into it. The more effort and hard work you put into studying, the better you'll do on test day. I'm not gonna lie it was a rough 2 month journey, but as I reflect back on how much I simply learned within these past few months, I feel extremely accomplished with how far I've come since week 1! Feel free to let me know if you guys have any questions! I'd be more than happy to answer any of them and good luck studying! It'll all pay off with HARD WORK! :D

Attached Files:

#1 Yaboykap, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
    dentsmiley, 510586 and ywcywc like this.
  2. 510586

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Congrats! Do you think you could post bc scores and crack reading?

3. byahnoob

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    For GC, are all the answers for the calculation problems in like this form: (400)(20)/(3)(34) or specific integer answers like 40,12 ,42.

For OC, you said "understanding the reactions and basic principles" is important. Would just knowing what each reagent does enough? and what do you mean basic principles

Also would like to see your BC scores as well
    Thanks

4. Yaboykap

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I just added my average bootcamp/RC scores above. Knowing the reagents is really important and knowing the products/reactants of reactions is also important. The problems in orgo are very similar to the orgo sections in DAT bootcamp and destroyer. Basic principles include just understanding several huge topics in OC haha Chad's videos demostrate each of the huge fundamental topics very well! Some GC answers are in the first format you mentioned, but some are also full calculations! Estimating values was good enough for me on that section though.

5. pursuingadream

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Congratulations on your scores! You did so so so well :)
    I'm using the same resources as you and have one week of studying left. Any tips on covering bio? I think it's my weakness

6. Yaboykap

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    For bio I think it's the amount of information that can be overwhelming, but keep practicing recalling facts/concepts through notecards or really any way you study. DAT Destroyer bio and DAT Bootcamp bio was amazing for this section!