DAT Breakdown - 12/19/2013 - Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DonJon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3 months of studying and it's finally over! Here are my scores from yesterday 12/19.

PAT: 26 | QR: 21 | RC: 17 | BIO: 19 | GC: 23 | OC: 21 | TS:21 | AA:20

bcpGPA: 3.47 | scienceGPA: 3.56 | overallGPA: 3.54

Biology: Opaque and ambiguous – I thought I was doing well in this section until I came across 4-5 questions that were impossible to answer. Word of advice, don’t try to memorize facts. Instead, try to really understand the concepts (pathways, cycles, and chains along with associated proteins, enzymes, hormones and neurotransmitters) and accept that you won’t have a fair shot at answering some questions particularly for this section.

Gen Chem/Orgo: Fairly straightforward sections. However, there are some discrepancies between the actual test and practice tests of the chemistry section. Some practice tests I used focused a lot on number crunching/calculations, whereas, the actual test was more in-tune with how you arrive to the answer.

PAT: This section was a piece of cake for me. Crack DAT PAT with on par with difficulty compared to the actual DAT. Try a bunch of methods, use the one best suited for you and stick to it. Fortunately, this is the only section where you don’t have to review notes once you “get it.”

RC: Kicked my ass.

QR: I thought I pwned this section but I guess 21 isn’t bad. I would say 80% of the questions were based on algebra and geometry on my exam. The rest were combinations, permutation, trigonometry, and maybe a couple questions on statistical analysis.

Study Material

Cliff's AP Biology – great reference and covers most topics in bio
DATBootcamp– questions were very representative with in-depth explanations, helpful articles and question randomizing feature, slightly underdeveloped (they should incorporate some features from above)
DATqVault – questions/explanations similar to DATBootcamp great features like save questions, save scores, and statistical/progress analysis.
Destroyer – a must have. I went through this almost 3 times. Questions aren’t exam format but meant to encapsulate concepts.
Crack DAT PAT – I got the ACE edition; this is all the practice you’ll need.
KBB – used as overall reference for all topics, but contains mediocre explanations and spotty concepts. Use with a grain of salt.
Topscore – program interface reminded me of my 96’ Compaq Presario. Besides the jenky software and some PAT inaccuracies, all other questions were similar to the real DATs. Explanations were meh. Scores I got here were indicative of my actual performance.
Achiever – mixed feelings about this. Just when I thought Destroyer was hard, this ripped me a new one. Some people like studying harder material but I wouldn’t suggest using this closer to your exam b/c it might murder your confidence.

Overall, I’m pretty happy with the scores, although I am concerned about my RC score since some have mentioned of a 17/18 cutoff at certain schools in addition to being weighed heavier than other DAT subjects. Do you think I should I retake it?

I plan on applying next cycle to UMich, NYU, Tufts, OHSU, BU, UConn, USC, Temple, UPitt, Case, UMD, and VCU. For those who have been accepted, how are my chances looking?

Constructive and brutally honest feedback welcomed!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the support guys! The low RC had me worried about my score's competitiveness. Especially comparing to the freak of nature scores around here

Congrats! You did well, I'm actually really worried about reading comp myself.

just wondering, does three months of studying mean studying for hours everyday? Just wondering because I plan on taking mine in March and I'm trying to devise a plan to study once the semester starts.

Congrats! You did well, I'm actually really worried about reading comp myself.

just wondering, does three months of studying mean studying for hours everyday? Just wondering because I plan on taking mine in March and I'm trying to devise a plan to study once the semester starts.

Hey asot, for the past three months I studied fulltime for 6-8 hours a day while going to the gym (3-4x/wk) and take an entire day off per week (didn't want to burn myself off). The best advice I can give you for RC is to read at least 1 scientific American article everyday until the exam and find a method that works for you (kaplan, wordmap, search and destroy, etc). Really important to get your timing down especially if you're a slow reader or if English isn't your first language.

Reactions: 1 user
I doubt that schools weigh all sections of the DAT equally. I think sciences are the most important.

wow!!! I think you have a great chance. now I am so worry about my score feel like I have no chances :(
PAT: 20/ RC: 17/ QR: 17/ BIO: 21/GC: 17/OC: 19 / TS:19/ AA:19/ nsGPA:3.1/sGPA:3.1
I am a dental hygienist for the past 5 years and have like 3000 hours volunteering. My GPA and DAT so low.. Do I have any chance ???

wow!!! I think you have a great chance. now I am so worry about my score feel like I have no chances :(
PAT: 20/ RC: 17/ QR: 17/ BIO: 21/GC: 17/OC: 19 / TS:19/ AA:19/ nsGPA:3.1/sGPA:3.1
I am a dental hygienist for the past 5 years and have like 3000 hours volunteering. My GPA and DAT so low.. Do I have any chance ???
You have a chance. Your GPA s above 3 and you have decents scores in Bio and PAT. You just need a good personal statement and recommendation letters.