DAT Breakdown (20 AA) and a Word of Encouragement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kevini200

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Academic Average 20

Total Science 19

PAT 24

O-Chem 19

Chem 20

Biology 20

Reading Comprehension 22

Quantitative Reasoning 19

Achiever is a waste of money in my opinion, and it definitely is NOT a good gauge of how you will score on the real DAT.

Here's my Achiever scores

TEST 1

AA 16 TS 16 Perceptual ability 17
O-chem 15 Chem 16 Bio 16 Math 16

Reading 18

Test 2

AA 17 TS 16 Perceptual ability 18
O-chem 16 Chem 18 Bio 14

Math 17 Reading 18

Thanks for everyone's input and advice.

Perceptual Ability-- Crack DAT PAT all the way; this is all you need. I did really well, but felt like I could have done even better.

Make sure you are %100 in both hole-punching and cube counting. Hole-punching was very difficult for me at first, but after enough practice it finally clicked and became second nature. Most sections were easier on the real DAT except key-hole and pattern-unfolding. Pattern unfolding was at least as difficult, and I thought the key-hole was considerably more difficult.

Math-- I'm pretty good at math, but I did not study this section as much as I should have. Chad's videos are good for this section. WORK ON TIMING..

Chem-- CHAD's videos are awesome for General Chemistry! I know I'm not the first to say it, but its worth repeating. This section seamed really easy on the real test; not exactly sure how I got 'only' a 20, but I will certainly take it...

Biology-- Not as bad as I was expecting. I have a good background for this section, but I didn't study 'enough' for Bio. I would just suggest the usual-- Cliff's Notes, Kaplan, and IFF you have time-- read Campbell's Biology.

Reading-- I don't know what to suggest for this. I listened to many SDN user's advice and practiced reading with Achiever, but I don't think it helped any, and it was very demoralizing. The real DAT was MUCH easier than Achiever reading... I did well, but I am a pretty good reader and I guess I got lucky on the passages given to me.

O-Chem-- Chad's videos are great here, also. This was my weakest subject starting out, yet I was able to pull off a 19 using Chad's Video's and quizes extensively...

I know my scores aren't as great as most of the poster's on SDN, but I wanted to encourage future test takers who my be worried by some of the rhetoric that gets tossed around. Also, realize that even though it seems like everyone who posts their scores get 20+, its obviously impossible for everyone to be scoring in the 90's percentiles... I guess people who score lower feel embarrassed and choose not to share their real scores. An 18-20 is pretty good, and if you score a 17 or lower, there's a very good chance you will be better prepared for the next test ( 90 days later of course) and score higher.

One final piece of encouragement; work hard, but try not to get over-anxious about your upcoming exam like I did. (Easier said than done-- I know..)

Work hard, keep your head up, and realize that your worth is not tied to the outcome of the test.

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad.

nice scores,

i have to ask what did you think about keyhole? did you also feel a few of these had 2 correct answers? plus i caught one that was definitely missing a line in the given top view.

good luck this cycle

i have to ask you a question...how is the calc on the qr section, i mean what all does it have besides the +-x/? does it have sqrt? anything wud be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
nice scores,

i have to ask what did you think about keyhole? did you also feel a few of these had 2 correct answers? plus i caught one that was definitely missing a line in the given top view.

good luck this cycle

I thought the keyhole section was much harder than Crack DAT Tests. There were a couple that didn't appear to me to have ANY correct answers.

i have to ask you a question...how is the calc on the qr section, i mean what all does it have besides the +-x/? does it have sqrt? anything wud be appreciated.

The calculator was very basic. There was NO square root and NO x^2...

The square root feature was there when I took it a little over a week ago...

Oh, and congrats on the scores!! :)

The square root feature was there when I took it a little over a week ago...

Oh, and congrats on the scores!! :)

Thanks everyone. I guess there is a square root feature; shows you what type of state I was in.

I actually had a panic attack during the perceptual ability, and I have never experienced that before (although I was suffering from some physical manifestations of stress in the weeks leading up to the exam) All of sudden I started to worry about what would happen if I got really stressed (panicked). That thought got me even more nervous, and before I knew it I in a full blown attack-- heart was pounding out of my chest, breathing was labored, thought my chances of ever being a dentist were over, thought I was going to have to leave in the middle of the exam, but I stuck through it and thank God I gradually recovered over the next couple minutes..

Anyway, the moral of my story is try not to get too stressed out about the test!

i just took it and my scores are really similar to yours!
also, i didn't see a square root button!!!

I didn't either ?!:confused: I keep seeing posts about a sq. root button on the calculator but I swear I didn't see one. If there was one on there i'm going to feel like a real idiot :mad: