DAT Breakdown 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goafterwhatmatters

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so I wanted to take a moment and share my study strategies for the DAT.

I want to extend a great appreciation to Romano Scientific. The DAT Destroyer was my bible for 3 months straight! Thank you! TS 26, AA 23, PAT 24

PAT

I used the Crack the DAT software for the PAT section and I made sure to do a practice exam every other day, I began with getting 18’s and progressed after each exam. I’d take a practice PAT exam, followed by 20 minute break and after I would go back and look over the solutions, to see how I can improve. This strategy increased my speed and ability to approach problems by quickly eliminating gross errors, focusing on minor details.

Orgo/ G-Chem

For these sections I used the DAT Destroyer as my main source for practice. I began with the DAT destroyer about 3 months before the exam and completed each section 2-3 times at a moderate pace. The best advice I can give is to be sure to know the material and not just memorize but conceptualize each problem and solution. Along the way I made sure to highlight and mark each and every problem that gave me any hesitation. My 3rd round, I focused on those highlighted problems and wrapped my studies around them.

Bio

In this section of the DAT I felt very prepared. Again, the DAT Destroyer was my main resource. Make sure you know each question in and out, I focused on all of the wrong answer choices and with anything I needed further detail on, I referred to Feralis notes along with a simple “google search” for a picture or further explanation of a concept.

Math

I wasn’t completely prepared for the timing in this section. For the math section I used the Math Destroyer but did not fully complete it nor did I time myself on the exams. Many of the questions were fairly similar if not easier than what I experienced in the Math Destroyer. If I could have gone back I would have focused on timing and reasoning. I also used Chad’s videos to supplement any topic I felt weak on.

Reading:

I used Kaplan as a resource, and supplemented with reading various journal articles. I tried to analyze the reading materials, and I also used S&D when approaching answering problems. I can only say that the more practice you do, the better you will become at this section.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-30 at 10.02.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-30 at 10.02.42 PM.png
    182.8 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the breakdown! DAT destroyer is my main resource for biology also (plus google) and I was a little worried that it wasn't enough. Glad to hear it workout out for you! Any other advice on how you studied for biology?

More than enough, the two or three q's I missed were just stupid and I marked them and guessed, I don't think any other text would've prepared me for that, If you know the Destroyer for the BIO you are GOLDEN! at least thats how it felt for me and a friend of mine who also studied with me.

Hey guys so I wanted to take a moment and share my study strategies for the DAT.

I want to extend a great appreciation to Romano Scientific. The DAT Destroyer was my bible for 3 months straight! Thank you! TS 26, AA 23, PAT 24

PAT

I used the Crack the DAT software for the PAT section and I made sure to do a practice exam every other day, I began with getting 18’s and progressed after each exam. I’d take a practice PAT exam, followed by 20 minute break and after I would go back and look over the solutions, to see how I can improve. This strategy increased my speed and ability to approach problems by quickly eliminating gross errors, focusing on minor details.

Orgo/ G-Chem

For these sections I used the DAT Destroyer as my main source for practice. I began with the DAT destroyer about 3 months before the exam and completed each section 2-3 times at a moderate pace. The best advice I can give is to be sure to know the material and not just memorize but conceptualize each problem and solution. Along the way I made sure to highlight and mark each and every problem that gave me any hesitation. My 3rd round, I focused on those highlighted problems and wrapped my studies around them.

Bio

In this section of the DAT I felt very prepared. Again, the DAT Destroyer was my main resource. Make sure you know each question in and out, I focused on all of the wrong answer choices and with anything I needed further detail on, I referred to Feralis notes along with a simple “google search” for a picture or further explanation of a concept.

Math

I wasn’t completely prepared for the timing in this section. For the math section I used the Math Destroyer but did not fully complete it nor did I time myself on the exams. Many of the questions were fairly similar if not easier than what I experienced in the Math Destroyer. If I could have gone back I would have focused on timing and reasoning. I also used Chad’s videos to supplement any topic I felt weak on.

Reading:

I used Kaplan as a resource, and supplemented with reading various journal articles. I tried to analyze the reading materials, and I also used S&D when approaching answering problems. I can only say that the more practice you do, the better you will become at this section.

:clap:Congratulations!!!
Excellent scores, especially the sciences, :love:30 Orgo, 29 Gchem, and 22 Bio, you Destroyed it!

You put in 3 months of study, determined to Destroy the DAT and you did! You will nave no problem receiving interviews a lot of schools with your scores.

Thanks for taking the time to write a breakdown on how you prepared, it will help other students on SDN.

Enjoy the rest of your summer and good luck in your journey to becoming a dentist.

Dr. Romano and Nancy

Reactions: 1 users
test1 1st attempt-18 second attepmt-20
test2 19 22
test3 16 20
test4 17 23
test5 20 22
test6 19
test7 21
test8 20
test9 21
test10 19

Once I began hitting 19's/20's along with having a few minutes left to spare, I felt confident and ready and stopped my working for the PAT... practice makes perfect

Reactions: 1 user
My first language was not english, I learned english in second grade in many special classes and always have felt one level behind my classes growing up, but I still have no excuse! I always been awful with reading comp when it comes to stanardized exams! smh!:lame: