1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

DAT Breakdown (22/22)

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by bonbonbon, Jan 21, 2014.

1. bonbonbon

Pre-Dental
    Hey guys, I took my test few weeks ago, and I feel like this forum helped me a lot preparing for the test.
    So here I am, writing my breakdown hoping it is helpful!

I had registered for the test sometime in summer (I don't know why I did it lol) but was totally unaware of it until 3 weeks before the expiration. So I was given exactly 3 weeks to study for the test, but due to the finals and papers, I actually had ~2.5 weeks to really concentrate on the DAT. During the first two weeks, I spent about 5 hours on the DAT. After I was done with finals, I studied 5~8 hours everyday except the day before the test, which I spent the whole day hanging out with my friends.

My scores:
    PAT 21
    QR 21
    RC 21
    Bio 25
    GC 22
    OC 22
    TS 22
    AA 22

PAT:
    Materials used: CDP
    I found the actual test harder than CDP, especially the AR and HP. I took 2 practice tests (got 23 and 22), but that was during the first week of my study. I guess I forgot how to approach the problems and failed to manage time.

QR:
    Materials used: Qvault
    I could not spend much time on this since I only had 3 weeks to study. All I did was the first free test on Qvault. Other than that, I could not study for this section...
    The actual test was okay. Simple pre-calculus questions with some geometry and statistics. As long as you remember your math from high school, you should be fine. For me, after taking all other sections, I was so tired and could not concentrate lol
    Also, the calculator worked just fine.

RC:
    Materials used: CDR
    I did the first test on CDR and did okay (22), so did not study for this section.
    What I did on the actual test was to go through all the questions for the passage and write down the keywords, and went back to the questions as skimming.

Bio:
    Materials used: Barron's AP, Ferralis' notes, Topscore, Qvault
    I spent the first 2 weeks of my study schedule for this section. I first tried reading Cliff's, but it was really boring so I switched to Barron's. I highlighted important stuff as reading, and when I finished the book, I solved Qvault problems. I did Topscore 3 days before the test and got scores like 17, 19, 19 (none higher than 19). Then I looked at Ferralis' notes to strengthen my weak areas.
    The actual exam was so much easier/better than the practice tests. Make sure you solve many problems to find what your weaknesses are!

GC & OC:
    Materials used: Chad, Topscore
    1 week was given for these sections. Luckily, my friend let me borrow his notes he had written for Chad's GC and OC. I just tried to memorize everything by going over the notes like 4 times each. I made flashcards for the mechanisms and NMR stuff and memorized them. I wish I had more time to study for these sections or at least some Destroyer problems. On Topscore, I got around 21 on both sections.

The 3 week schedule was really tough. I'm the person who gets easily distracted, so after the finals, I woke up late in the afternoon and studied till like 5:00AM at a nearby cafe that opens 24/7 so I can study in a quiet atmosphere. Although I still hung out with friends, I made sure I studied at least 5 hours everyday. Don't push yourself too hard, and don't be too frustrated. At first I felt really unprepared, after studying for only 3 weeks. But I told myself the day before the test, "Hey, there's always a retake. Just give a shot!" So I hung out with friends the day before the test, and I think that helped me a lot by removing all the stress I got from studying. I walked into the testing center relaxed, and took the test like I was taking a practice test.

Hope you find this helpful!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sjv

sjv
    Moderator Dentist 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Solid scores especially with limited study time.

4. ASOT

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Well done, your scores are great esp with that time constraint. Good job!