DAT Breakdown (23AA 22TS 23PAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sas225

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I took the DAT last week and I just wanted to share my study schedule and tips. For background info, I’m an Asian Studies Major, so I don’t have a strong background in Biology. I decided to take the DAT immediately after my Sophomore year, while OChem was fresh on my mind. I plan on applying to dental school next summer. I started studying around mid-May for about 10 weeks. I only used DAT Bootcamp to study. At first, I started using Ari’s study guide, but I realized it was too fast paced for me. It takes longer for me to effectively review content like Bio. I ended up spreading it over the weekends to make sure I didn’t get behind, so I didn’t have a rest day. I studied approximately 6-8 hours every day. Below are screenshots of my official scores and practice scores. For my practice scores, I took the first 5 exams sections individually for 2 weeks. For the last 5 exams, I took them full length over the course of 2 weeks.

Here is how I studied for each section:

PA: For this section, I watched the videos of the strategies for each type of problem. I mainly studied by doing 10 questions for each kind of problem every single day and taking practice exams.

QR: I struggled with QR the most in terms of getting a good score. I haven’t taken a math course in about 2 years, so it took a while for me to get used to answering math problems quickly. I studied by working through of the question banks, and then taking the exams. For each exam I reviewed all the problems I got wrong or was unsure of.

RC: This section was also difficult for me in terms of finishing on time. I tried different methods that bootcamp suggested, but I just ended up doing the best with the vanilla method. For this method I read and highlighted the passage for 10 minutes, and then answered the questions for 10 minutes. I was still crunched for time with this method, but my scores improved with this method on the practice exams compared to the individual passages in the question banks.

Bio: I was very overwhelmed with Biology. I would watch the review videos one day, and the next day go through the quizlet flashcards. I would then answer all the biobites, and then answer the question banks. I did this for each section, and sometimes it would take me an extra day to get through it all. I actually didn’t finish the content for this until a week before my exam. For the practice exams I would go over every single problem after. Once I finished all the practice exams, I looked at the flagged topics on performance page. For those topics, I reviewed the high yield notes and redo the biobites/question banks.

GC: I didn’t spend too much time studying Gen Chem. I watched all of Mike’s videos and I answered the question banks. For the practice exams I went over all the answers.

OC: This past year I was blessed with a great OChem professor. He taught amazingly, and I put in a lot of effort for his class. I effectively learned the information this past year, hence why I wanted to take the DAT so soon afterwards. I did not really study for OChem, and used this time for Biology. All I did was take the practice exams and answer the question banks.

BOOTCAMP EXAMS VS. ACTUAL DAT:
Leading up to the exam, I was nervous that the Bootcamp exams wouldn’t be representative of the actual DAT. I was wrong. The practice exams for me were extremely similar in terms of difficulty. I believe that the DAT practice exams over prepared me. Bio had several repeat questions. OC and GC were similar, but I believe slightly easier on the real DAT. PAT and QR were pretty much the same, and the RC passages were easier to read through on the real DAT.
If I were to emphasize anything about my study methods, I would say start taking practice sections about a month before the exam. And do as many as you can. When I sat down to take the DAT, it felt like any other practice exam that I took throughout the month.

Final words:
Good luck to everybody who is going to take the exam! Don't give up. Bootcamp is a fantastic resource. Make sure to give yourself mental health breaks. Spend time with friends and family when you can. Y'all got this!

Messages Image(3083451290).jpeg
Messages Image(426869799).jpeg

Members don't see this ad.