DAT Breakdown 24AA/22TS/19PAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted762366

TBH Its like 3AM in the morning I got bored as heck and I was looking to possibly help some dental peeps out.

So I took the DAT for the first time in June (2018) Here are my specific scores:
PAT: 19 - :(
QR: 20
RC: 28
Bio: 20
GC: 26
OC: 24
TS: 22
AA: 24

My background: Rising Senior Biomedical Engineer @ Tufts SGPA- 3.48 GPA- 3.43

I technically started "studying" since the beginning of 2017. However that was just reading over old bio and chem notes. The Real stuff didnt happen until i Signed up for Bootcamp. I signed up like 3 months in advance and for the last month it was nonstop test taking for like 3 weeks straight.

My study schedule: ( 3 bootcamp tests are reserved for practice) the remaining 7 are reserved for hell month
1 weeks : review/ practice genchem.
1.5weeks: review/ practice orgo
1 month: Force Bootcamp Bio review down/ practice. It takes appx 3 days to go through everything and even longer to remember most things
6 hrs: do the bootcamp math sections and review probability
? hrs: reading sections
8 hrs: do PAT generators and get used to how the questions are asked.
1month: Do remaining 7 full length practice tests. Review anything that was missed and intermmitedly re-review all other sections.

PAT: I Just did PAT generators in bootcamp and did the tests. I was godawful at the cube counting in the sense that it took me the longest time to count them and talley the painted sides up. Everything else was ok as long as you practice a crapton. I usually got 19's and 20's

The actual dat PAT was relatively similar and i scored similarly which is a 19.

QR: SOOOOO honestly this was the score that i was lowkey sad about. I did the bootcamp QR sections and avg'd like a 22 ish. The probability questions rekt me and i was bad at the all or none statement questions.

On the real DAT there wasnt alot of probability and not alot of the statement type questions. I just got rekt. A word of caution would be to try to finish the RC section as quickly as possible, you'll want a small break after the reading to clear your head and focus on math. The DAT also seems to really like very longly worded- word problems which reallllly sucks after the RC section.

RC: Just do the Bootcamp reading sections. I suck at reading but for whatever reason im very good at skimming things quickly. When skimming make sure you highlight definitions or things you can imagine the dat asking about, it save alot of hassle when going back.

The real dat was similar

Bio: I suck at bio and frankly speaking didnt know howto really go about it. Cliffnotes is useless to me and the ap bio review books were equally useless. My saving grace was Ari's bio studyguide from bootcamp. I literally stayed up 3 days remembering the whole thing and did the same a few days before the test.

The Real DAT bio was as hard as the bootcamp bio so i was pretty happy to have gotten what i did. My strategy was to absolutely kill the orgo and chem section and go back to the marked bio questions.

GC: If you goto tufts, there is a legendary man named Sergiy Kryatov. He will teach you all you need to know about general chem. All i did to review was look at my past chem notes.

The actual DAT was very similar in types of questions to Bootcamp. I would aim to finish like 10-15 minutes early in general chem to focus on the other sections such as orgo and bio.

OC: I actually learned orgo from Professor Kryatov too- but only orgo 1. To brush up and to learn the pertinent orgo 2 i watched the bootcamp videos.

The actual DAT was once again similar to bootcamp. There was no heavy emphasis on aromatics this time around but everything you need to know about orgo is on the bootcamp videos.

The Takeaway:
Get bootcamp- practice and timing is KEY. don't get too nervous ( easier said than done) but be confidant that your efforts pay off. Also try to finish sections as quickly as possible. I personally cannot focus for too long- to counteract that time limit I pretty much rush through the things im good at IE genchem, Orgo and focus on harder things like bio. Also if possible rush through the reading via skimming it truly helps to go as quickly as possible ( your results may vary though).

Anyhow I wish everyone else luck- studying sucks and studying for the DAT sucks even harder. However If you sit there and haul ass for X amount of time itll all be worth it

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users