DAT Breakdown 24AA 25TS (Non-traditional/Career Changer) #thankyouOrgoman

Started by his989
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

his989

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone!

I've finally taken the DAT, and I decided to write my own DAT breakdown to encourage any fellow Non-traditional students / Career Changers like me. I am also an Enginerd and I suck at writing, so I just bullet-pointed everything. Lastly, I want to give a huge shoutout to Orgoman Team for this amazing tool called DAT Destroyer! I couldn't have done it without this amazing book. Thank you, thank you, and thank you!

My DAT Scores:
PAT 23, QR 22, RC 22, BIO 23, GC 24, OC 30
AA 24 and TS 25

My background:
- BS in Civil Engineering '14
- No college-level Biology or Chemistry between 2010 - 2018
- Took GC, BIO, and OC at a near Community College during Summer and Fall of 2018 and Spring of 2019
- Full-time job with 1-2 hours of commute every day
- A father of a beautiful 14-month old girl

What I used to study for the exam:
1. DAT Bootcamp
2. DAT Destroyer
3. Kahn Academy + youtube videos

What would have I done IF I had more time:
1. PAT Booster for PAT - actual PAT Keyhole/TFE questions were considerably harder. I almost panicked during the exam.
2. DAT Math Destroyer - wish I would have practiced more for speed
3. Finish Bootcamp Practice Exams
4. Start DAT Destroyer early instead of cramming 300 problems/day 10 days before the exam.

Quick tips for the actual exam:
1. Use earplugs + headphones for extra noise canceling
2. Ask for sharper marker pen for QR section. Having a mushy end sharpie REALLY threw me off during the QR because I already had a horrible Enginerd handwriting

Study Strategy

Hours studied:

1. Mon - Friday: 4 -5 hours
2. Sat / Sun: 8 - 9 hours
3. Ten (10) days before the exam: 12 - 14 hours (I took 6 workdays off to dedicate my time to studying)
4. Total months studied: 4 months

How I studied:
1. From April 2019 to mid-July 2019


Primary Resource was Bootcamp and Kahn Academy, but Destroyer was used from time to time (30-40 questions at max).
  • Learning the materials at your own pace
    • Used Bootcamp's resources (Gen Chem Notes, Biology Notes, Biology Academy, and Dr. Mike's Org Chem videos)
    • Solved every practice problem associated with each chapter for each subject.
    • Followed Ari's 10-week schedule at my own pace (took me 3 months)
  • Practice Exams
    • Took 3 Practice Exams total because I didn't have enough time to take the others
    • Pick sections where you need the most work on and take the individual subject exams.
  • Extra things I did:
    • Watched almost ALL Kahn Academy videos (watched all anatomy/physiology videos at least 3-4 times)
    • Listened to Kahn Academy videos during the commute to drill the concepts into my Enginerd brain
    • Made flashcards for every reaction/concept
    • Reviewed the entire flashcards at least once in 4-5 days to refresh my memory
  • Pros:
    • Dr. Mike's videos on GC and OC were fantastic. A great learning tool.
    • QR sections have some good practice problems
    • Taxonomy cheat sheet, GC cheat sheet, OC rxn sheets, OC tests sheets are all great resources. I printed them out and memorized them.
  • Cons:
    • PAT sections (especially Keyhole, TFE) were much harder on the actual DAT.
    • Not enough Biology questions
  • Overall Verdict on Bootcamp
    • It's a great learning tool to start with. Take notes. Follow the 10-week schedule, but do it at your own pace
    • Go through 2-3 full-length tests to gauge where you stand.
    • Note: Don't be discouraged with your scores! It is very likely that you really don't know anything at this point. I got 18s and 19s on all sections. It was terrifying
2. From mid-July to early August (D-3)

Primary Resource was Destroyer for questions, but I constantly reviewed my Bootcamp Bio, GC, OC notes from time to time.
  • First-time through the entire DAT Destroyer
    • Solved about 200-300 questions per day at (70-100 questions per each discipline)
    • Detached the Answer keys from the book for easier review of solutions.
    • Reviewed solution for every question. Highlighted the answer keys. Made additional flashcards and also made my own Destroyer Concept Notebook as I'm going through.
    • Marked every question I got wrong in my own symbols (star, asterisk *, and !!!)
      • Star - concept that I didn't know
      • Asterisk* - got it right, but kind of guessed
      • !!! - got it wrong for stupid reasons
  • Second-time through the entire DAT Destroyer
    • Reviewed every question I got wrong.
    • Solved questions that I got right the first time from time to time
    • Second-time through will take you literally 1/4 of the time you spent on the first-time through.
    • Starting from the second time through, I felt like I had a firm grasp on concepts.
  • Pros:
    • This book will get you 20+ scores.
    • Questions are organized in a very constructive way!
      • It quizzes you on a certain concept and asks you again within the next 10-20 questions to reaffirm that you have mastered the concept.
    • They are hard, but they will make you learn and own the concept.
    • IMO, the organic chemistry section is the BEAST. The Roadmaps were amazing in reaffirming what you learned.
      • After going through OC problems twice, I did 2007 ADA test OC section in 20 mins and got 30. The actual DAT exam I also took about 25 mins.
  • Cons:
    • Takes a lot of time and effort
    • Going through 300 problems a day can be very tiring.
    • QR section is ao
  • Overall Verdict on Destroyer:
    • Use the DAT Destroyer book. It is NOT an overkill, and there is a reason why this book has been around for the past decade.
    • After the 2nd time through, I thought I was "feeling" the subjects. Every question came like a breeze.
    • If I had more time, I would have solved Destroyer problems at least 3 times.
    • IMO, it is a must need if you want 20+
3. Early August (D-3) to an exam date

The primary resources were ADA 2007 practice test, DAT Destroyer, and my notes.
  • ADA 2007 Practice Test
    • Only for Science. I thought PAT and QR sections were fairly outdated, so I didn't want to waste time.
  • DAT Destroyer
    • Reviewed problems and reviewed OC roadmaps.
  • Notes
    • Reviewed all of my own notes/flashcards that I created myself and my DAT bootcamp notes.
Conclusion:

DAT is a tough exam. Coming from a totally different background without any Biology or Chemistry background was challenging. However, with dedication and hard work, you can definitely tackle the DAT exam. I personally had to give up a lot of time with my daughter. It was very tough, but it was well worth it now that I'm looking back. As I was studying for this exam, I also came to the realization that the Dental School curriculum (if accepted) will only be harder, so I think it's very important to do your BEST on the DAT exam.

Think 30, study hard, put in hundreds of hours, and you will get a great score.

If I can do it, you can do it as well.

Good luck!

275230
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad