DAT Breakdown 24AA/25TS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strep mutans

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took my DAT recently, and I figured I'd post this breakdown for anyone who might find it helpful.

24 AA / 25 TS / 22 PAT (nothing below 22)
I'd like to maintain some anonymity, so I don't want to give more score info than that.

Study Materials:
-Chad's videos - for GC, OC, and QR
-Cliffs AP Biology 3rd ed.
-DAT Destroyer - for Bio and QR only. I had planned on doing the GC and OC sections, but those were the sections I felt least confident about, and I didn't want to attempt Destroyer only to psych myself out. If I'd had more time to prepare fully, I'd definitely have worked the entire book.
-DAT Bootcamp

How I prepared (by section):
Bio: I read through Cliffs front to back once quickly as a review, then once more, highlighting things I didn't know well. I went through Destroyer Bio once. I typed up some of my own notes from Cliffs and some DAT Bootcamp questions. I glanced at Feralis' notes but didn't use them, as I found them to actually be too in-depth for me, personally. But that's why he got a 30. ;) I made sure to fully understand the areas that usually trip people up, especially meiosis, embryology, phylogenetics/taxa, etc. Did all Bootcamp tests.
GC: Chad's videos. I took detailed notes as I watched, and took the quiz after each video. I glanced at his outlines to make sure I hadn't missed anything, but I learn better from actually writing my own notes as opposed to just reading them. Reviewed my notes a few days before the test. Bootcamp tests.
OC: Chad's videos. I took the class approximately 6 months ago, so for some of the concepts I only needed to watch for review. I took detailed notes on the rest, especially reactions/mechanisms. Did not do the quizzes (although I highly recommend it). This was my last section to study before the test, and I was literally reviewing my notes and Chad's reaction notes like 10 minutes before my test. Only did 2 of the Bootcamp tests (ran out of time to take the rest).
QR: Chad's videos and quizzes. Destroyer QR (not Math Destroyer). Bootcamp tests.
RC: Didn't do anything to prep for this except for some Bootcamp tests which were actually very frustrating.
PAT: Bootcamp tests. I generally do well on TFE, hole punching, and cube counting. Angles were my worst, followed by keyholes. I found the angle ranking generator easier than that section on the practice tests.

Other: Bio major. If I had to pick 2 bio courses for someone to take the semester before the DAT, hands down it'd be Microbiology and Anatomy & Physiology. I've always done well on standardized tests. I've tutored high school students in SAT prep, so I felt fairly confident about the QR and RC sections.

Bootcamp scores as follows:
Bio 24/26/22/25/25
GC 20/22/22/19
OC 19/21
QR 23/25/22
RC 22/22/26
PAT 19/22/20/20/20 (#1/2/3/6/7)
-I never took a full length practice test. I just did sections individually. I figured the test day adrenaline would get me through 5 hours (and it did), so building endurance wasn't something I found important.

Overall, I felt that the actual DAT was easier than Bootcamp, for every section. I usually ran out of time on PAT and almost on RC, but on the actual test I had about 10 min to spare on both.

My study schedule was pretty awful. Studying began 8 weeks before the test, but very light in the beginning (2-3hr/day for first 3 weeks or so) and gradually became a monster, with the last 2 weeks being 8-12/hrs a day. Would not recommend. Kept revising my study schedule because I was constantly falling behind; everything was taking about 3x longer than expected. I didn't get to/through a lot of study material that I initially planned to do. I pushed my test date back twice! I'm sure it was a good decision each time, but man what a waste of money...

I'm ridiculously pleased with my scores, but I don't want them to lead anyone astray... Do as I say, not as I do. Even though I was unable to do the following, I still recommend completing all Bootcamp tests, all Chad's videos and quizzes, going over Destroyer Bio until you know it all, and doing Destroyer GC and OC. I would've felt so much more confident and prepared going into the test if I had done these things. I was a nervous wreck during the two days leading up to the test (and the day of). So relieved it's over!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Nice job. What is the DAT QR like compared to Destroyer QR? I have been doing both math destroyer which is tough and DAT destroyer QR which is easier than math destroyer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's see the pic of those scores. Not saying you didn't get them, I just feel all super high scores need photo proof.

Were there embryology questions on the DAT? I heard someone saying they recently removed it, true or false?
According to ADA Rules of Conduct, I'm prohibited from discussing the content of my test, so unfortunately I can't answer that.

I will say that I recommend studying everything found in Cliffs AP Bio. Better safe than sorry.

Reactions: 1 users
Nice job. What is the DAT QR like compared to Destroyer QR? I have been doing both math destroyer which is tough and DAT destroyer QR which is easier than math destroyer.
It felt very similar to Destroyer QR for the most part. However, there aren't enough questions in Destroyer QR to account for the scope of what you might see on the real QR section.

Let's see the pic of those scores. Not saying you didn't get them, I just feel all super high scores need photo proof.
I think if someone felt the need to fabricate their scores, they could probably fabricate a score report print out too, so I don't think it adds much more validity. But here ya go!

20150702.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I took my DAT recently, and I figured I'd post this breakdown for anyone who might find it helpful.

I'd like to maintain some anonymity, so I don't want to give more score info than that.

Study Materials:
-DAT Destroyer - for Bio and QR only. I had planned on doing the GC and OC sections, but those were the sections I felt least confident about, and I didn't want to attempt Destroyer only to psych myself out. If I'd had more time to prepare fully, I'd definitely have worked the entire book.
-DAT Bootcamp

Bio: I read through Cliffs front to back once quickly as a review, then once more, highlighting things I didn't know well. I went through Destroyer Bio once. I typed up some of my own notes from Cliffs and some DAT Bootcamp questions. I glanced at Feralis' notes but didn't use them, as I found them to actually be too in-depth for me, personally. But that's why he got a 30. ;) I made sure to fully understand the areas that usually trip people up, especially meiosis, embryology, phylogenetics/taxa, etc. Did all Bootcamp tests.
GC: Chad's videos. I took detailed notes as I watched, and took the quiz after each video. I glanced at his outlines to make sure I hadn't missed anything, but I learn better from actually writing my own notes as opposed to just reading them. Reviewed my notes a few days before the test. Bootcamp tests.
OC: Chad's videos. I took the class approximately 6 months ago, so for some of the concepts I only needed to watch for review. I took detailed notes on the rest, especially reactions/mechanisms. Did not do the quizzes (although I highly recommend it). This was my last section to study before the test, and I was literally reviewing my notes and Chad's reaction notes like 10 minutes before my test. Only did 2 of the Bootcamp tests (ran out of time to take the rest).
QR: Chad's videos and quizzes. Destroyer QR (not Math Destroyer). Bootcamp tests.
RC: Didn't do anything to prep for this except for some Bootcamp tests which were actually very frustrating.
PAT: Bootcamp tests. I generally do well on TFE, hole punching, and cube counting. Angles were my worst, followed by keyholes. I found the angle ranking generator easier than that section on the practice tests.

Other: Bio major. If I had to pick 2 bio courses for someone to take the semester before the DAT, hands down it'd be Microbiology and Anatomy & Physiology. I've always done well on standardized tests. I've tutored high school students in SAT prep, so I felt fairly confident about the QR and RC sections.

Bio 24/26/22/25/25
GC 20/22/22/19
OC 19/21
QR 23/25/22
RC 22/22/26
-I never took a full length practice test. I just did sections individually. I figured the test day adrenaline would get me through 5 hours (and it did), so building endurance wasn't something I found important.

Overall, I felt that the actual DAT was easier than Bootcamp, for every section. I usually ran out of time on PAT and almost on RC, but on the actual test I had about 10 min to spare on both.

My study schedule was pretty awful. Studying began 8 weeks before the test, but very light in the beginning (2-3hr/day for first 3 weeks or so) and gradually became a monster, with the last 2 weeks being 8-12/hrs a day. Would not recommend. Kept revising my study schedule because I was constantly falling behind; everything was taking about 3x longer than expected. I didn't get to/through a lot of study material that I initially planned to do. I pushed my test date back twice! I'm sure it was a good decision each time, but man what a waste of money...

I'm ridiculously pleased with my scores, but I don't want them to lead anyone astray... Do as I say, not as I do. Even though I was unable to do the following, I still recommend completing all Bootcamp tests, all Chad's videos and quizzes, going over Destroyer Bio until you know it all, and doing Destroyer GC and OC. I would've felt so much more confident and prepared going into the test if I had done these things. I was a nervous wreck during the two days leading up to the test (and the day of). So relieved it's over!!!

Congratulations, very nice scores! Thank you for the detailed breakdown and sharing your experience with the SDN community.

Good luck in your journey to becoming a dentist..

Dr. Jim Romano and Nancy

Reactions: 1 user

Study Materials:
-DAT Bootcamp

Bio 24/26/22/25/25
GC 20/22/22/19
OC 19/21
QR 23/25/22
RC 22/22/26

Congratulations on your amazing success!

This is so encouraging. I'm going through a similar pattern as you...I keep drawing up new schedules....and I was getting demoralized. glad to know that all is not lost yet.

Thank you for making this breakdown. It is much appreciated.