1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

DAT Breakdown 25AA 25TS

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by thedestroyerdat, May 14, 2014.

1. thedestroyerdat

Pre-Dental
    Hey Guys and Gals,

Just sharing my scores - took the DAT 14/05/14.

AA 25
    TS 25
    PAT 22

They don't seem to show the percentages on mine like I have seen on a few posted around here.

Study Length:
    Started studying way back in September with Chad's videos but took a massive break to get my start up going. After I had that running I started to study again at the start of March. Educational background - I have a degree in Chemistry. Total study time: 6 weeks.

Materials Used:
    Dat Destroyer 2012
    Math Destroyer 2013
    Ferralis Notes/Cliffs AP Bio
    DAT Bootcamp
    DAT Qvault (bio section only)
    Crack DAT PAT

GC
    Being a Chemistry major I found this section pretty easy to study for. I had watched Chad's videos back in September so I just reviewed the notes I had taken (couldn't take the quizzes) and moved onto DAT Destroyer. Destroyer is probably overkill but it does not hurt to be over prepared. After finishing that I went through the Bootcamp tests. Stumbled on about 1-2 on the real exam.

OC
    Again, being a Chemistry major this wasn't a very tough section for me. Used Chad's videos as a refresher back in September so I reviewed the notes I had taken (without doing his quizzes). DAT Destroyer then Bootcamp. The actual exam section was even easier than Bootcamp, with only a few reactions. Destroyer is probably overkill here again but you never know.

BIO
    This was the section I was most worried about. I started with Cliffs AP bio then went onto Ferralis notes. I started with the DAT Destroyer, and then moved onto the QVault Bio section. After that I finished off by going through the Bootcamp questions. The actual section on the exam was easier than all the previous tests I had gone through. A LOT of sections were not even touched upon. Every question could have been answered with just Cliffs with the exception of maybe one random q.

QR
    Reviewed with the notes I had taken from chad's videos then went through the math portion of the DAT destroyer. After that I went through about 6 tests in Math Destroyer and ended with DAT Bootcamp. I found DAT Bootcamp to be much harder than anything you see on the real test and I wish I had just stuck with more Math Destroyer tests. Finished with about 5 minutes left, the difficulty of this section is probably between DAT Destroyer questions and Math Destroyer questions.

PAT
    Started with CDP (6 tests) then moved onto Bootcamp. I feel that CDP was more representative here than Bootcamp. I would score pretty low on Bootcamp but ended up around my average for CDP. I wish I had taken a few more CDP tests instead of the Bootcamp tests. Struggled with time here as I always tend to do with the PAT section. I guessed on about 3 TFE questions which is the section I always leave to the end.

RC
    Just did the 5 tests with DAT Bootcamp which was enough for me to prepare. Strategy: Read about the first 5 questions and then go through the passage, answer the ones that come up and finish reading. Then answer the rest. Passages were fairly straightforward, a bit easier (and a lot shorter - one of my passages only had 7 paragraphs!) than Bootcamp. Finished with about 7 minutes to spare.

Additional Notes:
    Never took any full length exams but time wise/mental fatigue I felt fine.

I have about a week subscription left to QVault (bio) if anyone wants it for free. As well as some time on DAT Bootcamp.

Anymore questions feel free to ask!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Godspeedyou

5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
  4. dentalstudentprospect2

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    holy crap! you made a 25 AA in 6 weeks?!

5. thedestroyerdat

Pre-Dental
    ^ Yes that is how I felt after the exam haha

6. Dotoday

7+ Year Member

Solid scores. Good job.

7. thedestroyerdat

Pre-Dental
    Yup! That was more than enough time for me but it of course depends on how much time you have to devote. I studied about 5-6 days a week usually focusing on 2 sciences and one of PAT/QR. Only touched RC during the last week.

8. SmileDesignersDDS

Pre-Dental
    Sick scores!!! I guess crack dat pat and destroyer were the golden products you used!!!

9. harleen317

Pre-Dental
    Hey great scores! I was planning to buy Bootcamp and Qvault because my test is on the 28th. Can I please use your subscription?

10. Daneosaurus

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Congratulations on those fantastic scores!
    I have couple of questions for you, if you don't mind:
    1. Because you had very limited time, did you take notes on bio while reading cliffs/Ferali's, or did you simply read? I ask because I take notes while reading and find it terribly time consuming.
    2. Speaking of bio, which sections would be the most high yield to focus on, regarding your specific test?
    3. I haven't watched Chad's for QR, did you find it very helpful? I've been doing some DAT Destroyer problems and I've certainly learned all of this before, but I find it difficult to recall how to set up a few of the problems under the time constraints (it took me an hour to do 40 problems last night and I got about 85% correct).

11. thedestroyerdat

Pre-Dental
    Hey Harleen message me!

1. I did not take notes but this is how I've always read textbooks. If taking notes works for you please continue to do so! Everyone learns differently so I can't tell you to take notes or not to take them. I did make sure I understood all the concepts but did not focus too much on plants or biological diversity. I just found those sections to be very boring and unrelated but did know the basics.
    2. I had zero plant questions and about 1 from biological diversity. BUT I have read breakdowns where the person did have a few on each of those sections. I would just know the basics of those sections/what I had learned from doing questions. A lot of my questions were from about the first 7 chapters of Cliffs.
    3. Chad's QR section was basically an easy way review. He did talk about how to set up a few types of the word problems but other than that it was more of just a quick refresher. I do highly recommend using the Math Destroyer though. Time wise I found I took sometimes 10 minutes extra but by my 3rd to 4th test I was finishing within 45 minutes with only 2 mistakes. Some of the questions were exactly the same from the math destroyer. Bootcamp here was a bit too difficult I found myself running out of time a lot but for the sciences Bootcamp rocked!

12. biomolecmed

2+ Year Member

Nice scores. Well done. You showed everyone that if you put in the time and hard work, you can accomplish what you want. Congrats.

13. thedestroyerdat

Pre-Dental
    Thank you! Feels great to be done :)

14. ToBeDDSS

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Awesome scores!!!!!! You nailed it.

15. thedestroyerdat

Pre-Dental
    Bootcamp helped a lot too. Everything I mentioned I feel was a golden product that should be used.

Thanks, feels great to be done. :)

16. thedestroyerdat

Pre-Dental
    Few people asked for a rating of each material through PM so I thought I should post it.

Dat Destroyer 2012 (9/10 - bit over the top but good practice)
    Math Destroyer 2013 (10/10 - slightly harder but question types seem on point)
    Ferralis Notes/Cliffs AP Bio (10/10)
    DAT Bootcamp (10/10 for the sciences and RC, 7/10 for QR, 7-8/10 for PAT - a lot more challenging than the real thing but a great practice tool with the generators that supply endless questions)
    DAT Qvault (bio section only) (10/10)
    Crack DAT PAT (9/10)

17. JHekmati

Pre-Dental
    insane job!!

18. thedestroyerdat

Pre-Dental